Molokini Crater, any experiences snorkeling w/ 5yo

szubieta

Has anyone taken a 5 yr old to Molokini Carter for snorkeling? Before anyone gets started on anything...you need some history: He has been taking swimming lessons since he was 2, has been swimming pool trained for last 2 years using snorkel, mask & has used fins since he was 2. He is so relaxed and rarely surfaces, He knows how to dive in and float on his back. We make pretend waves ,dive for rings and mechanical Nemo & Dory are big helps to dive for too. He has a life vest (no floaties) we are taking and did I mention that he loves the water. We are going to try out off the beach and hopefully it will graduate to the crater soon.

For Molokini, it depends on the water that day. Often the current/waves really bounce you toward the crater wall. Other times, it's super easy (at least, for us). Some areas are "calmer" than others, so it kind of depends on where the boat anchors. It's reasonably deep (especially for a 5-y/o); you'll want to watch ear pressure and make sure he doesn't try to dive to deeply. I assume he's used to deeper water? If not, he'll need pool time in deeper pools before you think about Molokini or the other boat excursions. Don't rule out Kealakekua Bay for your first snorkel excursion. It's absolutely top-notch snorkeling and easier (IMO) then Molokini.

This is, as always, JMO, but I would not take him on a boat excursion until he's had some ocean time to get used to how it feels and what to expect (and how unexpected it can be). Making waves and diving into the water at home is (as you know) nothing like being in the unpredictable ocean. If he's already had plenty of ocean time, then you're a step ahead on that score too. Because he's so comfortable in the water, he will likely graduate to Molokini and other excursions quite soon.

People do take excursion boats with kids much younger than he is, but it's a different situation when it's a 2 or 3-y/o. You're looking to actually snorkel together (with him in a snorkel vest, as you mention), whereas the teeny, tiny ones are always in inflated vests and/or with floatation devices and being paddled around by the adults. I think that's wonderful, but many times it's beyond exhausting for the parents. However, if they and the toddlers enjoy it, then why not do it. Your DS would be "chomping at the bit" if he couldn't just get out there and really snorkel. That's why I believe easy off-the-beach snorkeling is the best way to start with him. Many of the beaches have lifeguards. This is a site we really like because it's got current information as well as listing amenities and suggestion for many of the beaches in Hawaii:

http://oceansafety.soest.hawaii.edu/index.asp

Pretty much all excursion boats have float/swim/snorkel helpers such as noodles, window kickboards, rings, etc. and sometimes view boxes as well. You often see youngsters and those who are not good swimmers being able to enjoy the water. There are crew members in the water too, which is a big help. In fact, it's not uncommon to see people of all ages from extremely young to quite "mature" getting out there and having fun. Some think that excursions are only for the experienced snorkelers, but that's not the case at all for most excursions. (There are dive and more challenging excursions that are not for newbies.) Bottom line: As soon as you think he's ready, go for it!

Do teach him snorkel etiquette (if you haven't already) because there's only one thing worse than being bashed in the head by a child's head, arm, or fins and that's being bashed in the head by an adult's head, arm, or fins. I'm sure he'll quickly catch on to being aware not just of his surroundings, but of the others in the water. It's so easy to get distracted by everything under the water and to "tunnel vision" around. We've learned to really watch the newbies who are so focused on themselves and what they're seeing that they lose track of everything and everyone else. Sometimes they don't even seem to be aware of it when they kick out and bash someone on the way by. (Didn't mean to lecture here; I'm sure that you already know this stuff. Many people don't think about it.)

I suggest you start your DS at places with shallow, easy spots. Kahalu'u in Kona (at the south end of Ali'i Dr.) is absolutely excellent for younger kids. It's somewhat overused now, but there's a reason it's so popular with families--easy entry, shallow water, usually calmer, and sea turtles live there. It's not a "beach" beach and it's got lots of lava rock, so wear beach/reef shoes. No barefooting on Kahalu'u, IMO. Hanauma Bay can be good early in the day. Lydgate on Kauai has these great "pools" that are protected and super for keiki. The keiki area of Poipu is good; not any real snorkeling, but it's super shallow and almost always calm. Other beaches, particularly on the Kona-Kohala coast and Maui west and south-west will kind of depend on the weather/water the day you're there and how you feel he's doing. If it's super windy, the chop will be rough and the water can be difficult or unsafe even for adults. On Maui, Kapalua can be good for kids, so can Kahekili Beach Park (also called Airport) because it has some shallow and calmer entry spots; Wailea and parts of Makena (south Maui) can be good, but only in the morning (the winds whip around the south in the afternoon).

Do you have extra days pre- or -post cruise? If so, where? There are several options, but obviously you won't have time for all of them, especially on a cruise.

Another tiny lecture, if I may and I hope this doesn't sound insulting in any way, it's not meant to be. In fact, you probably already know this, but it bears repeating, IMO. Please teach him about respecting the sea life. No touching, hitting, or standing on coral because it damages or kills it; no grabbing at sea creatures; no crowding up to the sea turtles; and so forth. Respect the power of the ocean and never assume that it's like swimming in a pool. And please, no bread/cereal/bagels or the like as "fish food" because it is not normal food for the fish and in the long run is bad for them. End of little lecture.

I'm sure you'll have a blast sharing and watching him learn about the joys of the ocean and real snorkeling. May I suggest you check out Fair Wind out of Kona (it goes to Kealakekua Bay) and/or Four Winds II (or other larger boats) that go to Molokini for when you're ready? Once he's got a bit of ocean experience under his belt, your DS will no doubt do very well on an excursion. (They can be quite pricy, which is one reason it's good to get off-the-beach-cheap time first.) Make sure he loves it as much as you think he will. If he's a "fish" like me (and my whole family), he'll take to it...dare I say?...like a duck to water. Just in case you need it some time, here's a link to the Fair Wind site:

http://www.fair-wind.com/

Hope this helps (and didn't sound too "preachy" in my little lectures; I'm just very passionate about taking care of the oceans). I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time on all your snorkel adventures. Please share your adventures with us when you return. I, for one, would love to hear them.

beachchick:D

Aloha again. A few things I forgot:

Obviously, we have no first-hand experience with a 5-y/o on a snorkel excursion, only what we've seen onboard and what others have reported. I tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to young kids and the ocean. I'm all for it, but also think that sometimes parents are so anxious to get the kids "out there" that they forget how easily many really young kids can get overwhelmed. IMO, it depends on the maturity and previous water experience of each child. I'm basing my advice on my personal opinions; our DD is an adult, so it's been a while. Other parents might have different experiences and opinions. I should mention that there are often 4 and 5-y/os on the excursions wearing the really good flotation vests and "kid" gear and going out in the water with close adult supervision.

Also, I need to mention that many of the beaches are not safe in the winter months. Kahalu'u can have a really strong rip current. I should also mention that Kamaole III (Kihei; south-west Maui) is very popular with families. I think there is a playground at one end. We don't much care for Kihei, so I always forget that one.

I'm sure there's more I forgot, but that's it for now.

beachchick

Archived