Debark question Civitavecchia

julieh

We get off the Grand on Sunday 5th October and are thinking of doing the disembarkation tour as we have never been to Rome. Our flight is not until 18.15pm. Anyone done this tour and was it it worth doing? It is a very early start (07.30am) and as we are doing Pompeii/Sorrento and Capri tour the day before which is a 10 hour day am I taking on too much ? Any comments would be welcome.

Julie

We get off the Grand on Sunday 5th October and are thinking of doing the disembarkation tour as we have never been to Rome. Our flight is not until 18.15pm. Anyone done this tour and was it it worth doing? It is a very early start (07.30am) and as we are doing Pompeii/Sorrento and Capri tour the day before which is a 10 hour day am I taking on too much ? Any comments would be welcome.

Julie

They are going to kick you off the ship early anyway, so I think it would be a great way to use the time instead of sitting at the airport....

it would be such a shame for you to drive past a beautiful city like Rome and never even see a glimpse of it. I'd rather spend the day there then sitting around the airport. I'd find that even more tiring and definitely more boring!

Camelia

Hi,

I did not take the tour as I had to return home immediately, but my friend did it and she was terribly disappointed. It is primarily a bus tour and they drive you around and you can see the outside of the prime tourist areas. Since you already have your airline ticket and since your choice is sitting at the airport versus the tour, I would do the tour as to see Rome briefly is better than not seeing it at all.

Since we missed Rome, or got a brief view, we are returning for a full visit next year. Have a great time!

Drive bye touring is in my opinion less than fulfilling. Rome is an interesting city, and gliding past the Vatican or Colliseum or the Spanish Steps is not enticing to me. You have a transoceanic flight ahead, so why stress out? Get off the ship late and head to the airport. Come back to Rome when you can experience it. Just my thoughts.

We have gotten of the ship and stayed in Rome for a day or two. That is the best way to see Rome, on your own.

We have flown back and forth to Europe many times, from the west coast. It is a long day and flight especially when you get off the ship early and don't have a flight for hours.

When you can plan to stay over and then schedule an early morning flight back. Less wear and tear on the body that way. :)

Thank you for all your comments. We are only flying back to London so only have a short flight home. I just felt it would be sad to be so close to Rome and not see it. Unfortunately we are not able to stay on in Rome due to work committments.

Julie

Julie

Julie,

We are getting "on" the Grand on Sunday October 5th. Please take good care of her!

While I'm not big on just driving by for touring, if you haven't seen Rome, I would take the tour for the sights. That will make you want to come back to Rome for more!

Enjoy your trip

Nancy

I was going to suggest taking the train in to rome from the dock..leaving your luggage at the termini station in rome and having a few hours in rome.

train to rome is about 45 minutes to an hour

train to the airport is 31 minutes - see below:

A Leonardo Express train leaves every half hour in each direction.

From Rome Termini: Trains to the airport start at 5:52 in the morning, with trains running at 22 and 52 minutes after the hour. The last train of the day departs at 22.52 (10:52pm)

From Rome's Fiumicino International Airport: Trains to Termini Station start at 6:35 in the morning, with trains running at 5 and 35 minutes after the hour. The last train of the day departs at 23.35 (11:37pm)

The train covers the 37 km in around 31 minutes.

-I just googled and somebody said it took them a half hour to check luggage and a half hour to retrieve...

- travel time is therefore 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

with a couple of hours wait time at the airport that gives you 3 or 4 hours if you get off the ship quick...not a lot but enough to see the colliseum and the vatican ..but probably under stress

I would definately look at a tour that drops you off at the airport...luggage looked after and they will hit the highlights...

private car would be best but WAY expensive

have fun

This is definitely a tough question. I've been to Rome several times and trust me, you could spend two weeks there and not see everything. That said, rather than sit around the airport, I would take the tour. It's what I would call a teaser. Just see enough to get you excited. Then go back when you can spend more time. So many things to see. :D

We usually take those quick tour end-of-cruise excursions. In Ft. Lauderdale we were introduced to Flamingo Gardens this way. The next time we were in FLD, we rented a car and went straight there. We spent an entire day at a place we would not have known if we hadn't taken that tour on an earlier cruise. Take the Rome tour, and take notes on where you will go the next time around!;) PS, If you stay with Princess, you won't have to be so nervous about your luggage and cameras!

Thank you all for the information. The Princess tour seemed a lot of money for basically a coach tour but taking everything into account looks like the best option. DH is not too keen on being on buses so will take a bit of persuading I think.

Julie

Archived