Fairwinds in Kona from an RCCL ship

wheretonow?

I've read several threads and the general consensus is that the Fairwinds II tour in Kona is a great snorkeling trip. My concern is reaching it in time from the Radiance of the Sea at the Kona pier. We dock at 7 am, and I don't have priority for the tenders, so I'd have to stand in line with the rest of the riff raff :D I know many folks here have made it from the pier from NCL - any success stories from RCCL?

Alternatively, we are looking at the Body Glove tour but the general reviews have been "It's ok, but it's no Fairwinds". I really want to see K'bay, but I'm not an experienced snorkeler, so Pawai might be an acceptable alternative (and maybe good incentive to come back to Kona and try the Fairwinds?)

Thoughts and feedback appreciated - and thanks again to the Hawaii veterans for all the great info I've been reading so avidly for the last year!

Except for those few times when the ship can't tender or is late to anchor, virtually every member here who's ship has arrived at 7 am has reported success with making it to Fair Wind in time for check in (and often with time to spare).

Even though you don't have priority for the tenders, you can get in line as soon as possible (or get the earliest numbers possible or however RCI does tenders, we've only docked on our RCI cruises). If you're at the tender pier between 8 and 8:15, you should be fine. Take a taxi and tell the driver you need to get to Fair Wind for check in. They do this often and know what time check in is and that the boat does not wait for latecomers, so the drivers will hustle (without actually putting you in danger, one hopes) to get you there PDQ.

We'd go with Fair Wind. Period. But we are fairly experienced snorkelers and it does make a difference for us. You need to book the one that will allow you to sleep the night before and not spend the whole time fretting about possibly being late and missing the boat. It's not that far to the Fair Wind dock from the tender pier (maybe 15-20 minutes; just a WAG as we've never timed that particular drive). I say go for it, but then again, it's not my money I'm gambling with here. I'm sure you know about Fair Wind's 24 cancellation policy. They will not make exceptions for cruisers who are late or who are on a ship that can't tender at all.

Of course, this is JMO and YMMV.

beachchick

We have taken the Fair Wind several times - even when our ship anchored at 8AM, and we have never had a problem. However, having said that, I always call before leaving home to find out what the availability is for the day we want and then call again with my cc# on arrival. You take your chances but you don't lose any $$s this way just in case problems beyond your control should arise. It's a great day. Enjoy! Aloha

Hi beachchick!

Bucky3:

Aloha back at you! I'm so glad you posted here because I knew you had pretty extensive experience with this exact issue. Your method isn't such a bad idea for cruisers to consider because the only risk is that Fair Wind might be full that day. In that case, there is still so much to see and do out of Kona that it could be considered a win either way.

beachchick

Thanks so much to both of you. I think we're going to risk it and hope for the best. Bucky's plan sounds best, though we're pretty set on wanting to catch the Fairwinds that day. I'm sure we could manage to find something to do in Kona if we miss it.:D

Beachchick - thank you so much for keeping this Forum going and answering so many newbies Hawaiian questions (sometimes over and over again).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wheretonow, we're on the same cruise (counting the minutes!) will be booking the Fairwinds II as well. Perhaps we could share a cab? I've read that it's approx $25 each way. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Lindsay

We did the Kona excursion on Kona this last May (we were on the Radiance as well). Our group of 7's plan was to keep an eye on the weather the previous days and if it looked like the weather was going to be bad (a.k.a. not being able to tender into Kona) we were going to cancel since the Fairwinds has a 24 hour cancellation policy. If you can find someone staying in one of the suites (which could be pretty likely if you are on the meet and mingle threads) they could get you priority tender tickets (which we did). You should have plenty of time once you get off the ship. We were on tender #1 that took off about 30 minutes late from the ship we still got to the Fairwinds shop with enough time to shop for postcards in the shop, put on a full course of sunblock (plus slathering a 3 y.o.) and time to wander the pier taking pictures of the Fairwinds boat.

Lindsey - we are actually planning on sharing a cab with another couple from the roll call, but maybe we can get a cab for six. By the way, if you haven't checked it out yet, we have a really active Roll Call going on with lots of activities planned on the ship. Come by and check it out if you haven't already or at least sign up for the Meet and Mingle and we'll see you on the ship.

Ski ninja - so now I just have to make some new friends, huh? Glad to hear it worked out well for you. We will have to give it a shot.

Archived