Sun Deck 9 and 10 aft balconies covered?

love2relax

We're thinking of booking an AE or AC cabin aft on the Sun for Alaska next summer, but have been unable to find anything regarding whether the balconies are covered or not. We had a covered balcony due to the deck above's overhang on our last Alaskan cruise (which we booked by accident). It was great to be able to sit out there even when it was raining/misting. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has stayed in those cabins.

We were in aft ac on Sun two or 3 years ago (9076) and really loved the suite. if you google "aft ac penthouse on sun" it will bring up old cruise critic posts with several pictures of the aft - one post in particular dated 3/25/2005 had several photos. Also google "mr tractor's" review of the Sun ac - it was really fun reading and we really loved the aft ac on the Sun.

We went to Alaska on the Pearl in front AC but comparing the two suites the Sun wins hands down :)

Agreed.. We were in a AC suite aft deck ten on the Sun and it was the best suite we have ever stayed in. There is a little bit of an overhang, but only enough to stand under and you might still get a little wet. But hey.. just put on your bathing suit and sit out on your balcony and enjoy it.

Thanks for the info everyone. I did search for deck 9 and 10 aft balconies on the Sun prior to starting this thread, but I didn't find much...so now I'll try your search parameters. I'm a little bit bummed about the lack of an overhang, but I can hope for little to no rain. I really like the aft balconies, so even though I saw a pic of a small overhang up front, I don't want it.

I really can't imagine wearing my swimsuit on the balcony in the rain in Alaska: Brrr! :eek: I live in a pretty hot climate: summer in the 90's and 100's, and winters in the 60s and 70s. I was pretty chilly the last time I went to Alaska, but the beauty was worth it. I REALLY had to bundle up.

We were in an AC on deck 9 last month (Sun Alaska). Unfortunately, it rained almost every day (and almost every minute) making our balcony virtually unusable for my purposes. I like to sit out on the balcony every morning with coffee and puzzles to "wake up", and even though the butler was kind enough to find me a table, I never had the opportunity to use it after we set sail. We did have a break from the rain during our Sawyer Glacier viewing (and put a cheese platter out on the table for our guests), but it was chilly :D !! And I can't remember the "overhang situation" in the forward AA from December, as we didn't have any rain to make me take notice.

Robin

Thanks for the info everyone. I did search for deck 9 and 10 aft balconies on the Sun prior to starting this thread, but I didn't find much...so now I'll try your search parameters. I'm a little bit bummed about the lack of an overhang, but I can hope for little to no rain. I really like the aft balconies, so even though I saw a pic of a small overhang up front, I don't want it.

I really can't imagine wearing my swimsuit on the balcony in the rain in Alaska: Brrr! :eek: I live in a pretty hot climate: summer in the 90's and 100's, and winters in the 60s and 70s. I was pretty chilly the last time I went to Alaska, but the beauty was worth it. I REALLY had to bundle up.

Ok.. I'm going to claim I was drugged or had not had enough coffee or something.. LOL.. I don't know why I thought you had said you were looking at the Sun for a Mexico itinenary. Although I have to tell you.. there were a couple of times my DDP and I did step out on our balcony during some light rain on our recent Alaskan cruise last May. It wasn't THAT cold..albeit we weren't in swimsuites..LOL.

I did get a chuckle out of that. I thought maybe you were from a cold climate. While I was bundled up in blankets and coats on the balcony the last time we were in Alaska, my BIL was in shorts and flip flops. Some people generate more heat than others....

I did get a chuckle out of that. I thought maybe you were from a cold climate. While I was bundled up in blankets and coats on the balcony the last time we were in Alaska, my BIL was in shorts and flip flops. Some people generate more heat than others....

Oh I am like your BIL. On our Alaskan cruise I wore short sleeves every where we went and a coat so I could take the coat off the minute we were indoors. If a place is heated, you can bet I'm too hot in it. 8-)

Archived