One in my Party is Cancelling What to Do?

coconutball4u

My party and myself (4 total) were/are scheduled to sail on the Legend on Sunday. Unfortunately, now 1 will not be coming due to the dire condition of a close relative (probably won't make it through the weekend). All the reservations (air, hotel, cruise, excursions) are under my name. She has insurance (separate from the remaining 3 of us). Whether her insurance covers this or not she is not coming...

Do I need to inform Carnival of this? Airline? Et al? Or is that the insurance company's job? If I don't will I be penalized at all even with it all fully paid?

If the cancelling person has insurance, it probably will cover most of her non-recoverable costs (assuming the ill family member does not fall under pre-existing exclusions). BUT for her to get any reimbursement from insurance she must officially cancel with the cruiseline, hotel, air, etc. as soon as she knows she cannot go. Then she (and perhaps you) will need to file with the insurance company. Insurance does not do this for you; you have to take the appropriate action in order to file your claim.

Your own insurance would cover any increased costs you may incur (which as above poster noted is nothing going from 4 to a 3 booking in one cabin).

It depends on what exact policy coverage she has as to what other arrangements are covered under the non-refundable pre-paid costs.

Don't worry about it, unless you can find someone who wants tog o in that person's place and can find a way to get them to the port. if you're just dropping one person from your party and everything's paid for, then just go ahead with yoru plans.

If you booked airfare separately, you may be able to cancel this person's airline reservation and get a credit with the airline less the change fee for future use (for up to one year after you originally booked the ticket).

Sorry about your friend's ill relative. It would help to know if there were to be four in the cabin or two cabins.

Four - nothing to worry about. Two - also nothing to worry about. The other person in the second cabin will just have a cabin to herself, no penalties since it's all paid in full.

She needs to talk w/the airline asap - to have a future credit w/them.

Your own insurance would cover any increased costs you may incur (which as above poster noted is nothing going from 4 to a 3 booking in one cabin).

This is a real picky point but it can make a big difference if you are traveling with someone who is not a family member.

Here's a scenario. You're traveling with a friend and that friend has to cancel because of a death in the family (the deceased is not a relative of yours). Because of the timing of the cancellation your choices are to cancel also (and be subject to a penalty) or continue with the cruise but have to pay a single supplement.

Almost all travel insurance policies would cover this if your roommate was the one that became ill. But what about if it's the roommate's non-traveling family member who gets sick or dies?

Here's what's covered with CSA:

"#1 death of an Insured, Traveling Companion or Family Member;

#2 a covered Sickness or Injury involving an Insured, Traveling Companion or Family Member which necessitates Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, which prevents an Insured's participation in the Covered Trip;"

Here's what's covered with MH Ross:

"#1 Any serious Injury or any serious Sickness occurring to:

1. You, which results in medically imposed travel restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss;

2. Your Business Partner or a Traveling Companion, which is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to delay, cancel or interrupt his/her trip;

3. Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalization; or

4. Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member requiring Your or Your Traveling Companion's immediate care.

#2 Your death, the death of Your Family Member, Business Partner or Your Traveling Companion or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member.

So in the scenario above if you have a CSA plan you're not covered. If you have an MH Ross plan you are because the coverage extends to the traveling companion's family member.

If you're traveling with friends and want the ability to cancel if the friend has to cancel because of a medical emergency to a non-traveling family member be sure to check the policy wording before you buy.

Here's what's covered with CSA:

"#1 death of an Insured, Traveling Companion or Family Member;

#2 a covered Sickness or Injury involving an Insured, Traveling Companion or Family Member which necessitates Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, which prevents an Insured's participation in the Covered Trip;"

I am not always that good at reading fine print and legalese, but my interpretation of this clause above is that it WOULD cover person A if that person wanted to cancel because person B's family member was ill and person B would be canceling. Am I reading it wrong?

on another point, if you are traveling with 4 unrelated people sharing a cabin and you get trip insurance for the trip, does each person buy their own individual policy or do all 4 people have to be on one policy?

Archived