San Diego

holibobs

We are doing a Holland America Panama canal cruise and will disembark at San Diego on 7th December. Could anyone help me regarding how far the cruise terminal is from the car rental companies, would we need to get a taxi to the airport to pick up a car rental as we are driving for a week to different places before we fly back home.

We rent from Hertz usually and if you take a taxi to their location just "down the street" across from the airport...just get a receipt from the taxi driver and they will reimburse you. They have a shuttle to the port if you ask but in the past that is what they have had us do. Call the local agency you are renting from to ask. National, Hertz are at the airport (across the street you leave the airport property)....Dollar I think is on a side street

Lou

Hello,

I am not advocating for one car rental company over another, but Avis has an office close to the cruise terminal, and there is a free shuttle from the cruise terminal to their office (the Avis office is on Kettner Avenue in downtown San Diego.

Fred

Most of the car rental agencies have a location close to the cruise pier, as the cruise pier is also quite close to the airport. That being said, we had a horrible experience with Enterprise last August, and cannot recommend them. The problem is simply that the Enterprise location for the airport is just fine, service is adequate, etc., but the only place that the airport Enterprise is supposed to handle rentals for is for the airport, and the Enterprise office that handles the rentals for the rest of the area nearby the airport - we found them to be extremely unprofessional and downright annoying to deal with. So, if you can deal with the Enterprise that handles the airport rentals, no problem, but I recommend avoiding the other close by location.

Avis really is very close to the cruise pier. San Diego is a great place to spend some time, we are wrapping our week long stay here - fly out tomorrow morning. It is one of my favorite cities to spend time in. Hope you have a wonderful time here, too!:)

Archived