Some aweful reviews of Musica ... is Orchestra as bad??

BonnieVA

Gosh, after reading reviews posted here about how terrible Musica is I'm wondering if we should bother w/ our April cruise on Orchestra. Are the negatives I'm reading about typical of MSC or just one bad ship/food/crew??? :eek:

Dear Bonnie!

I did not beleive all the negative reviews and we booked MSC Musica on 8/2008. BIG MISTAKE! All the negative comments came true!

Bad service, bad food, bad entertaiment, but nice ports!

With Kind Regards: SweCruiser

Gosh, after reading reviews posted here about how terrible Musica is I'm wondering if we should bother w/ our April cruise on Orchestra. Are the negatives I'm reading about typical of MSC or just one bad ship/food/crew??? :eek:

I read all the reviews on here- and search there are LOTS of reviews on here. All these people can't be making this up.

We went with an open mind, but were disappointed. I am not some princess, we are ordinary people, as were all the other 'Quest' people we met. and they were disappointed as well.

We did have a good time, but those things that I wrote about in my review affected our perception of the MSC line. I wouldn't recommend the Musica at all, and probably wouldn't book with MSC because of our experience.

I did hear that Costa was a better line, perhaps you want to check them out.

costa is better just for organisation and for itineraries. food is bad, or at least not as good on msc. the "mood" is less classy than on msc. the "set up" las vegas-like. maybe u'd like it ore than msc.

i'd reallly like to know why most americans hate so much this company and why most of english people ( as far as i can read) love it or at least appreciate it.

maybe is a kind of cultural factor???

i'd reallly like to know why most americans hate so much this company and why most of english people ( as far as i can read) love it or at least appreciate it.

maybe is a kind of cultural factor???

Well, I don't know. The posts I've read most recently were from a Canadian & a Swede, not any Americans. But please do let us know your own thoughts after you sail MSC next month.

Well, I don't know. The posts I've read most recently were from a Canadian & a Swede, not any Americans. But please do let us know your own thoughts after you sail MSC next month.

BonnieVA,

We will be on the MSC Orchestra in Jan 09 so I will let you know how it is when we get back.

We did have a bad experience with MSC Lirica in dec.2006 but because our children and grandkids were with us at the time and they just loved it we decided to try the company again, twice. The Orchestra in Jan. and the Poesia in Dec 09.

I noticed that you are on the Carnival Triump on the 24th of this month. We are going on it on the 31st so I see ya' as ya'll leave.

Gerry (of Tom and Gerry)

BonnieVA,

Yes these reviews have us worried as well. We have looked at various reviews at other sites and have notived that over 50% of the reviews are negitive.

We are on the Orchestra for the T/A in December. We got a great fare and convinced 6 other people to join us. It won't seem like such a bargin if the cruise is lousy.

However, there are many CCer's on this cruise, so if we have make lemonade

out of a lemon lets do it!

BonnieVA,

We will be on the MSC Orchestra in Jan 09 so I will let you know how it is when we get back.

We did have a bad experience with MSC Lirica in dec.2006 but because our children and grandkids were with us at the time and they just loved it we decided to try the company again, twice. The Orchestra in Jan. and the Poesia in Dec 09.

I noticed that you are on the Carnival Triump on the 24th of this month. We are going on it on the 31st so I see ya' as ya'll leave.

Gerry (of Tom and Gerry)

Thanks for offering to help out. Unfortunately, I will have to make final payment while you're on your cruise so I'll have to decide before you get back to us. But it's good to know that, even though you weren't all that happy, you're still going back ... & for 2! And it's good to hear the kids had fun because that's what I'm hoping for. I certainly do not want my kids to be bored & whining the entire time!

Were your complaints on the Lirica similar to those I've read about on the Musica ... food, service, etc?

Small world - have fun on the Triumph! Are you going on a western or eastern Carib cruise? I do hope we can get down there safely w/ Fay in the way. And I see there's something else brewing far out in the Atlantic, too. Ugh!

PS - I can't believe I spelled "awful" wrong in my title. I HATE when I do that!

Thanks for offering to help out. Unfortunately, I will have to make final payment while you're on your cruise so I'll have to decide before you get back to us. But it's good to know that, even though you weren't all that happy, you're still going back ... & for 2! And it's good to hear the kids had fun because that's what I'm hoping for. I certainly do not want my kids to be bored & whining the entire time!

Were your complaints on the Lirica similar to those I've read about on the Musica ... food, service, etc?

Small world - have fun on the Triumph! Are you going on a western or eastern Carib cruise? I do hope we can get down there safely w/ Fay in the way. And I see there's something else brewing far out in the Atlantic, too. Ugh!

PS - I can't believe I spelled "awful" wrong in my title. I HATE when I do that!

Bonnie Va,

No our complaints weren't due to the ship, which by the way was absolutely gorgeous, or the food, that was the most succulant that I have ever tasted on a cruise.

It was with the fact that the ship was over booked by over 400 passangers. They actually put passengers in the crews cabins and made the crew doubled up. Which made for a very disgruntled crew.

There was a customer complaint on a couple of the crew and when we got to the next port they put those crew members off the ship lock stock and barrel. They didn't give them money to get home or any help. We found out from other passengers that this is normal for MSC if a passenger complains about a crewmember they are fired on the spot!

We were supposed to go thru the Panama Canal but they decided not to with no notice and we were supposed to go to Grand Caymen islands but they didn 't do that either. The captain did take us around the Grand Caymens so we could see them. (like dangling candy in front in front of a baby) and we weren't given a refund on the port charges.

You will find that the passengers will dress up a lot more on the casual evenings and they are very formal on the formal nights.

But anything goes during the day at the pool:eek: .

Overall it was a very nice cruise, we were just used to the cruise lines here in the US.

Every one of the announcements will be in 4 or 5 different languages and they announce everything.

My grandsons said that they wouldn't go on the cruise in Dec '09 unless it was on a MSC cruise, course they are 9 and 11 so they see everything differently then we do.:D

Hope this helps ya'll make your decision. If you have cruised the lines here in the US just remember to keep your mind open at all times with this cruise and you will have a great time. Enjoy.

Gerry (of Tom & Gerry)

Bonnie Va,

No our complaints weren't due to the ship, which by the way was absolutely gorgeous, or the food, that was the most succulant that I have ever tasted on a cruise.

It was with the fact that the ship was over booked by over 400 passangers. They actually put passengers in the crews cabins and made the crew doubled up. Which made for a very disgruntled crew.

There was a customer complaint on a couple of the crew and when we got to the next port they put those crew members off the ship lock stock and barrel. They didn't give them money to get home or any help. We found out from other passengers that this is normal for MSC if a passenger complains about a crewmember they are fired on the spot!

We were supposed to go thru the Panama Canal but they decided not to with no notice and we were supposed to go to Grand Caymen islands but they didn 't do that either. The captain did take us around the Grand Caymens so we could see them. (like dangling candy in front in front of a baby) and we weren't given a refund on the port charges.

You will find that the passengers will dress up a lot more on the casual evenings and they are very formal on the formal nights.

But anything goes during the day at the pool:eek: .

Overall it was a very nice cruise, we were just used to the cruise lines here in the US.

Every one of the announcements will be in 4 or 5 different languages and they announce everything.

My grandsons said that they wouldn't go on the cruise in Dec '09 unless it was on a MSC cruise, course they are 9 and 11 so they see everything differently then we do.:D

Hope this helps ya'll make your decision. If you have cruised the lines here in the US just remember to keep your mind open at all times with this cruise and you will have a great time. Enjoy.

Gerry (of Tom & Gerry)

We are going with a lot of children, what was there to do for them? Did they have deck parties or caribbean music? I sure hope so. We talked everyone into trying the Orchestra. Many of the friends going with us haven't been on a cruise before.

Any advice,

Thank,

Misand

but..like many others..the price was great and so was the itinerary so we went ahead and booked it..I'm so glad that I did..We had a great time..I know that each cruise experience is different..even on the same ship..People complained about the food..the food was marvellous..the only thing I could understand complaining about was that it was not available 24 hours. THings actually closed down..even coffee and tea..but once I realized that I just adapted and went on from there..I've been on many Princess cruises and I have to say that the animation team on Sinfonia was much better than that on any Princess ship. There was so much activity going on..so much enthusiasm from them that I actually joined in a few activities..something I usually don't bother doing. The children all seemed to be having a great time and they were so sweet on the last night when they were all brought on stage to sing to the audience..so many proud parents in the audience! I loved seeing families on board..on the whole they were all well behaved and there was never any problem.

I've come to the conclusion that alot of the criticism is made only because the expectations of a north american cruiser (who is used to Princess and Carnival perhaps) are different than what they get on these European ships..the authentic Italian food is nothing like they've eaten before..they will not find spaghetti and meatballs here....but that doesn't mean it deserves all this negativity..different does not mean bad..I can't wait to go on my next MSC cruise..and failing that..Costa will also do just fine!

Camelia

We were on the Orchestra this summer in Europe and loved the cruise. There were only a handful of English speaking passengers but they put us together for dinner and our excursions were in English. The ship is really beautiful and very clean and our service was great. We enjoyed the entertainment and there were a lot of deck parties. The pastas and risottos were really great. All other dishes were hit or miss. I read that they were making changes for the carib cruises. Have fun!

at how they tried to accomodate passengers..it must be such a challenge to be able to please a multitude of different cultures, languages etc. Things I'd taken for granted on Princess cruises were always a choice here..of necessity of course..what language did I want my news in? What language did I want my tour in? And I was interested to see the tour director at work. One night after a show had just finished I heard him switch between languages without hardly an effort. Now I did understand about five of the languages he spoke: English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French and because of that I noted that not all he said to each group was the same thing. He actually made the effort to change what he said... which was really fascinating.

Anyway..all reviews are subjective and what is just fine for me is awful for someone else..we all bring our personal life experience to anything we do and that colours how we feel about things...this especially applies to food I think.

Perhaps if I was a meat and potatoes kind of person I might not have enjoyed it as much but I love what they are able to do with vegetables and fish.all those fresh ingredients...it's the typical Mediterranean diet at it's best I found..

Camelia

I agree with Skyboy about the food and will add that the fish was usually a good choice.

Food is so subjective. I will say that there was a point in my life that I would say that the food was outstanding. I remember when I thought that the college dorm food was good. Our palates change with age and experience.

I am wondering if there were complaints about the higher level staff if they would be fired on the spot. That would improve the cruise line immensely as long as they didn't replace them with equally indifferent staff.

I have one part of a podcast reviewing the Lirica on my blog.

Ma Cruise

We were on the Orchestra this summer in Europe and loved the cruise. There were only a handful of English speaking passengers but they put us together for dinner and our excursions were in English. The ship is really beautiful and very clean and our service was great. We enjoyed the entertainment and there were a lot of deck parties. The pastas and risottos were really great. All other dishes were hit or miss. I read that they were making changes for the carib cruises. Have fun!

Can you tell me about the deck parties and activities?

Thanks, I can't wait to go.

Misand

Are there special offerings on the menu for children? My older kids are willing to try new things, but my 9 year old is more the spaghetti and chicken finger type.

Is there late night room service available? What are the options for dinner outside the main dining room? How late are the restaurants open?

I have a few questions regarding the Orchestra. Did you buy any of the alcohol packages? If yes, how do they work and how much are they? Did you eat in the Asian specialty restaurant? Was sushi available? I'll be on the Orchestra in February sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. Thanks!

We have been on many, many, cruises, and had a thoroughly enjoyable time on MSC Musica last Christmas. The trip was far superior to our cruise on Carnival Victory last November, and to that on Costa Classica eighteen months ago.

My only gripe is that I would like to see more money spent on the food budget, but the food is still better than Carnival or Costa.

We have just booked to go on Musica's sister ship, the new MSC Poesia this Christmas.

well we are on the sept 13 crusise on the musica.. Price is right I mean really really right so that wont have any affect on a review. I am use to princess but am keeping an open mind. You cant have this port schedule in the carribbean. Looking forward to a great time. will report back to you all !!

Archived