Diving in Grand Cayman

bwgreen

Hi

I am planniong to do a Discover Scuba with my wife in Grand Cayman (Georgetown) when we are in port there with the Carnival Legend. Right now I am looking at two different dive shops - Eden Rock and Divers Down. I am leaning towards Divers Down - on the Discover Scuba they take you to the wreck of the Cali which sounds more interesting than a "normal" dive.

Has anyone got comments on these operators? I also want to find out what their policies are is the ship doesn't get into the port - it has happened to me in the past and I don't really want to lose the money for excursions we can't take!

Thanks,

Brian

I did 2 guided shore dives with Eden Rock in May and at the same time, my friend's husband did their Discover Scuba and was taken out, one on one, with a divemaster for a shore dive. He raved about it.....they did a great job taking care of him. I thought the divemaster, Steve, who took myself and 5 others out on the 1st dive and 3 others out on the 2nd dive, was wonderful. They run a top notch operation. You are required to give them your cc in order to secure a reservation, but then have the option of paying in cash when you get there. An added bonus was that Eden Rock is close enough to where you get off of the tender boats, so you can walk over to it. Enjoy your dives!!!!

I was hoping to dive in GC as well but w/ the stormy weather and other unknowns, I was going to show up, go to a PADI-rec'd dive shop, and pick something to do - keep it loose. Have you gone to the PADI site (padi.com) to see about recommended shops in the area? The reply from zippy was helpful as well. I always think paying in cash gives you some room to negotiate. Have a great time and let us know how it went!

Through padi.com, I found Divers Down, Don Foster's, Eden Rock, Lobster Pot, Seven Mile, and Sunset House. The latter is one that PADI sets up groups tours w/ alot. On the East End, Ocean Frontiers looks good. There are plenty of choices, which is no surprise for that location.

I can 2nd ZIPPY'S comments. I have dove with Eden Rock several times and it is a nice walk to their shop and they take care of you. I had just purchased a dive computer before one of my trips and when i started to dive the computer was leaking air very bad. The person at the shop took the time to take it apart and replaced the o-ring and did not charge me a penny. It was not that hard to do but he really was wanting me to get out and enjoy my dive instead of something that he had to do.

Archived