Missing the S/S Norway! Anyone else?

compguy

I miss the S/S Norway, what was once called the S/S France. After going to NCL, it was moved around, was damaged in an explosion, and was scrapped off the coast of India. This was the first large ship I was on ('85). Anyone else cruise on the S/S Norway?

I miss the S/S Norway, what was once called the S/S France. After going to NCL, it was moved around, was damaged in an explosion, and was scrapped off the coast of India. This was the first large ship I was on ('85). Anyone else cruise on the S/S Norway?

We cruised on the Norway in 2001 and it is my favorite ship so far. So elegant and classic. It breaks my heart to see the pictures of her and see what has become of such a great lady.

Carole

We were booked but when the boiler explosion damaged her in 2003 we never did get to sail on her. I was so very disappointed as I had watched her sail into NYC many times when I worked in lower Manhattan. NCL handled the whole thing rather poorly and I was a little hesitant to book with them again. Finally decided to give the Majesty a try.

Our first ever cruise in the 80's was on the Blue Lady (aka Norway). DH and I were reminiscing the other night about how awed we were when we boarded and were shown to our stateroom (with it's 2 portholes):eek: . Dressing up for dinner, tea dances in the International Ballroom (with the gold statue of King Neptune standing tall) in the late afternoons, etc etc. She was elegant and a true flashback to what I imagine it must have been like when she was first built for transatlantic cruising.

We cruised on her 5 days and for our now grown children, it was their first exposure to cruising as well.

Sad, sad, sad that she ended her days being sold as scrap after the terrible explosion.

I still have pictures of DH and I dancing in the ballroom dressed up in our fancy duds!

Our second cruise ( spring, 2003) was on the Norway. We actually sailed her just a few weeks before her boilers blew. We truly loved that cruise and wish we had started sailing earlier in our lives so that we could have sailed the Norway many more times.

Don't think there's any cruise ship afloat right now that can match her elegance and style.

Dianne

My first cruise ('97) was on the Norway. Cruised it again in '98 and 2000. Because of limited restaurant space (the ship was not set up for Freestyle), we even had our assigned seating at lunch (!) on the 3 sea days, so we really got to know our tablemates well. Especially in '97, we had late seating and after a couple days we were having so much fun we ended up being the last to leave the restaurant most nights for the rest of the cruise! So many interesting nooks and crannies on that ship, and remnants of when it was the S.S. France, especially the Club International. The spa was huge, luxurious, and hidden away on the lowest passenger deck. And the crew were wonderful--very loyal to their ship and its traditions. It all makes me smile whenever I think about it.

I sailed on the Norway 5 times with my family from 1990 to 2000. I still have my boarding passes and I remember being in cabin V037, a whopping 97 square foot room with my DW and 2 kids. We did not spend alot of time in that room. The food, service and entertainment on board was awesome. The midnight buffet was incredible with people wiating in line for an hour to see all the great ice sculptures, food and chocolate treats.

I remember going down to the crew lounge and partying all night with them - drinks in the crew louge were cheap and most of them were so, so drunk. When Star Cruises bought NCL in 2000 that all ended with a very strict no drinking policy for the crew.

The pictures of her being torn apart in Alang breaks my heart too.

Was on her the first month she went into the water after being refitted. It was a pre-inaugural for invited guests. She was breathtaking!! Most of us spent the week lost-HA!! I was in the very first cabin, forward, starboard which was an upper/lower about the size of a phone booth-but it had a porthole which was too far up the bulkhead to see anything. Used to hike up to the top bunk to look out the window. But, oh my, what a beautiful ship! One thing I recall is the information received when we boarded. Told about the refit, the history of the ship, etc. Headline was "over 1 million dollars of original artwork". They had different color carpeting, too....to make it easier to find your cabin. Half the cabin/hallway floors were in a wedgewood blue, the other in a soft dusty pink.

Does anyone remember the lounge with the port holes behind the bar that looked into the swimming pool? That had a lot of WOW factor then.

Leaving St. Thomas, where she lay at anchor outside the harbor, the musicians onboard would show up in full marching uniforms of soft blue and white. This wonderful brass band would play and march around the ship, up and down the outside decks, as the ship struck the anchor and sailed away.

I was fortunate to sail on Norway 4 or 5 times up to the mid to late 80's. They finally did away with those tiny little cabins in odd places but she was always a favorite of mine.

I can hardly stand looking at pictures of her over the last couple of years. Bon Voyage to a great lady!!:)

1995 was our first & then with a balcony in 1995. How rocky the ship was in seas that were not that rough, but they learned that stabilizers are a major necessity with balconies.

Oh, to see photos of the grand lady in that sea in India rusting away and being torn apart. The video I saw on the Net showing the baby grand still on her. She made us love cruising & does not deserve the end to her life like this.

I voted for F3 to be named "Norway, The Encore.."

Feb. 1995 over Valentines day week, for our 25th ann. Our very first cruise and given to us by my Mother for ann. present. Even had a suite. That awesome cruise is what got us hooked. It was and always will be the most elegant ship. What wonderful memories. Such a sad sight to see her being torn apart.

We were on the Majesty a few weeks ago. The CD, Ered Matthews, gives two presentations. One on oceanliners, one on the SS Norway. Both were excellent and highly recommended if you get the chance.

NCL and Star Cruises were a bit shady in how they handled the disposition of the SS Norway. I believe she was transferred from NCL to Star Cruises, then to a third company. The third company renamed her the Blue Lady and sent her to the scrap yard at Alang, India. You can see pictures here: http://www.ssmaritime.com/Alang-1.htm

The workers in Alang toil under terrible conditions. They have a saying, "One ship, one day, one life." Many of the workers die in accidents working on the old ships.

The workers in Alang toil under terrible conditions. They have a saying, "One ship, one day, one life." Many of the workers die in accidents working on the old ships.

Sad, but they sorely need the income from the jobs the ship's produce. A lot of families are getting fed by the Blue Lady.

On a recent sailing aboard the Norwegian Dream they broadcated, on the closed circuit TV station, a multi-part documentary about historic passenger ships. The broadcast ended with information about the Norway and commentary was made by the author, who was taped in various parts of the Norway. It was fun to see the ship again on film.

In addition, I remember on my first sailing aboard the Norway, cash only was accepted for drinks in the bars, as a computer system had not been set up. Also, all meals on sea days (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) were served at 2 seatings and, if you wanted to eat in the Dining Room, you ate at your assigned table each time. Those were the days, also, when the buffet was not open for dinner. I also seem to remember a Midnight Buffet was available each night. Celebrity entertainment included Shirley Jones and Jerry Van Dyke. Full production Broadway plays were also performed.

Any other memories?????

Happy Sailing to All. :)

Our cruises on the Norway bring such fond memories. We were watching tapes recently converted to DVD of our time in the International lounge being served hors oeuvres with our drinks, while we listened to the “Saints Go Marching In” and gazed at the wonder of King Neptune in the corner.

Oh, and we so enjoyed the entertainment then. Now the Jean Ann Ryan Co. shows always seem to be the same. They do well, but seem so repetitious. I always beg them to return to Broadway shows when I fill out my survey after each cruise.

I also loved the decor of The Lady. The garish colors on the current ships may be fun, but not nearly as classy. I guess I'm showing my age reminiscing about the "good old days of cruising," but the memories always make me smile.

I'm not too good at distinguishing one cruise/ship from another. However, the SS Norway was a bit exceptional.

Two things come to mind -

As someone above said, the sheer size did lead to 'going astray' often, though likely to an interesting nook or cranny we may not have otherwise discovered.

If I recall correctly, this was the ship where our cabin was on Deck "6 and a half".

Unlike other posters, if she had been able to be repaired, I'm not sure I would have sailed her again after the boiler explosion. But it was a shame how they let her fall apart. I would think they could have recovered some particularly endearing, historical areas, into a little bistro/museum. Oh, well, too late now...

Nancy

Also, all meals on sea days (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) were served at 2 seatings and, if you wanted to eat in the Dining Room, you ate at your assigned table each time. Those were the days, also, when the buffet was not open for dinner. I also seem to remember a Midnight Buffet was available each night. Celebrity entertainment included Shirley Jones and Jerry Van Dyke. Full production Broadway plays were also performed.:)

They did try freestyle on the Norway for a short period of time, but due to her design and limited dining areas, it just didn't work well at all so they returned to assigned dining.

They did have theme cruises and known entertainment but that was being phased out during my son's early years on board.

Oh, and we so enjoyed the entertainment then. Now the Jean Ann Ryan Co. shows always seem to be the same. They do well, but seem so repetitious. I always beg them to return to Broadway shows when I fill out my survey after each cruise.

Jean Ann Ryan was the production company in 2000 and all the Broadway and variety shows were designed by her. "Guys and Dolls" "Sing, Sing, Sing," and "Great Adventure" were some of the shows performed then and the spicy Elvy Rose was a regular performer on the Norway.

DS's 1st ship was the Norway in 2000. He had the funniest office on the Norway, tucked away in the theatre. He's 6'2" and his "office" was about 4'3" high!

DS was also on board when the Norway repositioned to be sent to Asia but 9/11 happened 2 days out to sea and the decision was made to bring her back to the Caribbean.

He was also on board the day of the explosion which was a very difficult time for all the crew. He stayed on her until the day before they towed her to Bremerhaven and celebrated his 21st birthday in the owners suite with the last of the crew still on board.

Needless to say, the Norway has played a big part of my sons life and has a special corner of our hearts.

I sailed on France in 1972 with the family. Knee-high to a grasshopper at the time and mother almost glued me to her side incase I got lost and wandered off....there were some great hiding places on France that i used to play hide and seek with my older sisters, much to mothers disgust (she thought we should behave properly when aboard France and not be such scallywags).

I next saw her when she visited Southampton for the very last time. She was Norway by then, and I was on the Isle of Wight ferry. We shadowed her all the way down Southampton water. As we finally parted company, the ferry saluted her and she replied....for about 10-15 minutes the two ships 'spoke' to each other until Norway was out of sight. I can honestly say that I had tears running down my face as she slipped out past Ryde and towards the Nab Tower and the English Channel beyond. I knew she would never be back in Southampton and somehow, when she left it was almost as if she was saying her goodbye's...not just to Southampton but to Europe and her past, glorious life as an ocean liner.

Seeing her being broken apart on Alang beach is heartbreaking...and it also angers me as she could have been repaired...she SHOULD have been repaired. That was why she was towed to Bremerhaven in the first place. NCL/Star did monstrous things to get her to Alang...told lies, broke laws...they had hoped, no doubt that she would have been broken up long before they were held accountable for anything...the explosion right up to the way she was cast away like unwanted and unloved junk.

Her name will always live on...if not on one of the next newbuilds...she will forever be a part of life for those who had the pleasure of sailing on her. She had such enigmatic beauty and grace, but with speed that was hard to match.

NCL may have washed their hands of her, but those of us who spent time on her will never ever forget her.

We also have a framed "Biggest week in the World" poster in our great room.

Just recently purchased a Pool deck stairtower sign from the SSS Norway site that is selling her mementos. The sign is huge and is a wonderful reminder of the great weeks we had on her.

Our last voyage was Easter weekend in 2003, just 4 weeks before she blew up. We are so grateful for that last voyage. We have some terrific memories as a family sailing the Norway.

We were fortunate to sail on the Norway in 1994 and will never forget that beautiful ship!

I remember walking down the grand staircase in the dining room (we were in the Windward dining room) and then looking up at the beautiful blue ceiling with the little white lights.

We met two really great friends on our first night at dinner and we have remained in touch with one of them. (San Francisco Al - if you're reading this - hello!)

So sad to see her rusting away. Wish I had $24 million to buy her!

Archived