Where to get Good BBQ Pig

love2cruiseseattle

Looking for the assistance of anyone that lives in PR or has visited before. One of our cruise mates is looking to try some bbq pig when they are there in late October. They will have a car so they can drive as long as they have directions and it is not too far.

Also any suggestions on where to eat when we get back off of the cruise we will be staying in the Isla Verde area and will not have a car.

Your help is much appreciated.

The BBQ pig is Lechon. It is mainly a weekend thing.

THE place to go is Guavate. It will be about 45 mins from SJ, but it is down a highway, so it is not hard to get to. The best day to go is Sunday, but some places are open 7 days/week.

See my review for driving directions:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/guavate-lechon-and-music/

Other places for Lechon-

I actually don't know of any place in SJ or OSJ that have it regularly on weekends, maybe someone who lives closer to there will know.

I know Rio Grande and the surrounding area- on RT 3 there are a number of places that have a pig as you drive from RT 66 to the rainforest- Mini and Johnny's, Armondo's and a guy that sets up a little roated pig in a trailer on the side of the road (look for the roasted pig behind glass).

Also on the road up to the rainforest (191) there is a place that has lechon on the weekend.

For your after cruise meal- there will be a lot of places to eat in or by the hotels. Where are you staying?

The BBQ pig is Lechon. It is mainly a weekend thing.

THE place to go is Guavate. It will be about 45 mins from SJ, but it is down a highway, so it is not hard to get to. The best day to go is Sunday, but some places are open 7 days/week.

See my review for driving directions:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/guavate-lechon-and-music/

Other places for Lechon-

I actually don't know of any place in SJ or OSJ that have it regularly on weekends, maybe someone who lives closer to there will know.

I know Rio Grande and the surrounding area- on RT 3 there are a number of places that have a pig as you drive from RT 66 to the rainforest- Mini and Johnny's, Armondo's and a guy that sets up a little roated pig in a trailer on the side of the road (look for the roasted pig behind glass).

Also on the road up to the rainforest (191) there is a place that has lechon on the weekend.

For your after cruise meal- there will be a lot of places to eat in or by the hotels. Where are you staying?

Thank you for the information, they will be able to go on a Saturday not Sunday.

We will be at the Marriott Courtyard after the cruise, any food suggestions?

We will be at the Marriott Courtyard after the cruise, any food suggestions?

There will be lots of options within walking distance- from steakhouses, Italian, to Japanese. There are other upscale hotels, which all have some nice upscale restaurants/prices.

For more "local" food, there is Coladas, Mi Casita (inexpensive) and Metropol (more Cuban than PR).

Personally, I like waterfront dining, so right at your hotel is Sirena. You can get a taxi to Pinones area for some real PR excitement- live bands, loads of people. There are a few great oceanfront places there- Soleil (they may provide free transportation), Waterfront and Bammbooii (sp??).

Or taxi to Ocean Park for Pamela's. Dining with your feet in the sand!

Really, your choices are almost unlimited!

If you get to El Jibarito early on a Saturday you might be able to find a table before they run out of lechon. It's on San Sebastian street, almost at the west end.

Also, if you call ahead you might luck out and get your pork at Don Tello Restaurant, across the harbor in the town of Catano. It's just off the ferry landing on the other side of Old San Juan. Catch the FREE ferry at pier 2 in Old San Juan. Be patient with the ferry service and allow for time both ways.

El Jibarito is a great place to eat any day. Nice, inexpensive place with good PR food. Great Arroz con Habecheulas (rice with stewed red beans)!!

Good to know they have Lechon on the Saturdays. Thanks AoS!

If you have your heart set on Lechon only, then call them, just to make sure they have it that day.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.eljibaritopr.com/

I mistakenly said El Jibarito restaurant was in Calle San Sebastian. It should be Calle del Sol.

Hello Aviator,

We'll be staying in the Radisson Ambassador for one Saturday night in December, after our cruise. Since you are in San Juan, I'm wondering if you can recommend a place with food and prices like El Jibarito in the Condado area. I've read about Ajili Mojili near our hotel, but I'd like to know if there are other places within walking distance, for lechon y pasteles (since X-Mas is near) in the area...

Sylvia & Tony

Archived