Final Payment

CathyCruises

This is probably a stupid question, but what happens if you have made your final payment and then prices go down? Can you switch to a higher category and pay the difference, or even receive a refund? I've never thought about this before but with the economy struggling so, there may be a lot of vacancies that the cruise ships try to fill by lowering prices closer to sailing.

Thx for any thoughts

Cathy

It's up to the cruise line, but I received a nice refund in this situation on a Transatlantic last year on the Century. Some points:

You have to see the lower price and then call and ask.

Some times the lower price is presented as a "sale" limited to new bookings only. In that case, you'll most likely be told "no".

In my case I thought not, since the lower price was advertised as for GTY rooms only. Celebrity was quite fair in that they allowed us to keep our booked room, and adjusted the price accordingly. This resulted in a cash refund to our credit card. Be aware that the amount of the refund was slightly reduced because the TA's commision was also slightly reduced. It would hardly have been fair for us to ask for that amount too, since our TA did the work of calling Celebrity, and getting the refund. It was over $400.00 back on an already very reasonable fare. Again, this was something where Celebrity would have been well within their rights to tells us A) "No" or B) You can have the lower price only if we can take you out of your assigned cabin, or C) we'll give you the refund as an OBC.

Since they chose to make this as favorable as possible to us, we were really pleased.

Harris

Denver, CO

Well that sounds like a win-win for you! I have already booked a verandah gty, which just popped up as available this week. But I am wondering, say, if they lower the CC price even more and I would prefer to pay an extra $100 or something for a CC cabin. . .if they would allow me to do that? Right now I am booked directly with =X= so I can control my own destiny instead of having to go through a TA constantly--all these thoughts swirling through my head.

I think I will just watch carefully until final payment is due in a week, then stick with what I have, cancel, or upgrade!! Choices, choices!

;) Cathy

My sister & I had it happen a year ago on the Constellation out of NY. We called them & they reversed a couple of hundred dollars on each of out credit cards.

We are now booked on Hawaii in Oct. on the Millie, watching but the price has gone up!

Archived