What is your LEAST favorite Caribbean port of call?

What is your least favorite Caribbean port of call?  

776 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite Caribbean port of call?

• Montego Bay
    • Ocho Rios
    • St. Thomas
    • Cozumel
    • Grand Cayman
    • Costa Maya
    • Belize
    • Roatan
    • St. Maarten
    • Antigua
    • San Juan
    • Nassau
    • Freeport
    • Other

I'm not as experienced in the Caribbean as most of you, but my least port is other: Grand Turk. There are a FEW t-shirt shacks and a Margaritaville. Lame. I heard the snorkling was great, but I did not do that excursion. I would probably go again, hoping that maybe I missed the good part. Honestly, as I heard a comedian say, "it is just a big ditch."

OH HECK....we are booked on a B2B next month, Eastern and Western Caribbean....from reading the posts here I hope we have not made a terrible mistake. Almost every port we stop at sounds dreadful:(

Please don't be alarmed at the negative comments. Form your own opinions & have a great time. BTW, I voted Ocho Rios..can't stand Jamaica due to the lack of security.

Sorry it took me so long to respond...been busy.

The #10 Bus is a bus you can board from downtown (just ask anyone) it is only a block or two from the Pier and has a big #10 on the side. The bus is only a buck each way and you can get off at any one of the resorts at Cable Beach, the beaches are all public so you can spend a nice day relaxing at the beach. As long as you buy drinks they will not hassle you about using the chairs. It is just as easy to get back to the ship, just return to the same bus stop. Honestly, it is one of the cheapest beach days you will find on a cruise.

After staying in Nassau 3 times without being on a ship, we also knew about this and did it when we cruised in on Carnival last fall. We went down to the Sheraton (was the radisson), next door to the Wyndham. The beach is absolutely beautiful down there. And Cable Beach is very safe. Don't be afraid to walk around. There will be a few salesmen out there, but if you say no thank you, they leave you alone.

I am shocked to see so many people who dislike Nassau. There is a lot to do. Everything from going down to the beach on Cable Beach via the #10 jitney, to visiting Atlantis, to swimming with the dolphins, to walking around the straw market, to going on the the booze cruise....I absolutely LOVE Nassau and we make it a point to go back every year.

I didn't like Freeport all that much as there wasn't much to do. But the island was still very beautiful. Every port is such an opportunity to explore.

After staying in Nassau 3 times without being on a ship, we also knew about this and did it when we cruised in on Carnival last fall. We went down to the Sheraton (was the radisson), next door to the Wyndham. The beach is absolutely beautiful down there. And Cable Beach is very safe. Don't be afraid to walk around. There will be a few salesmen out there, but if you say no thank you, they leave you alone.

I am shocked to see so many people who dislike Nassau. There is a lot to do. Everything from going down to the beach on Cable Beach via the #10 jitney, to visiting Atlantis, to swimming with the dolphins, to walking around the straw market, to going on the the booze cruise....I absolutely LOVE Nassau and we make it a point to go back every year.

I didn't like Freeport all that much as there wasn't much to do. But the island was still very beautiful. Every port is such an opportunity to explore.

It's been a few years, but we did a dolphin encounter in Freeport. I also thought they had some very nice shops and the color of the water there, is just unbelievably beautiful!

Cozumel. Didn't like the locals trying to get you into their shops. "Come pretty lady" and those who had the nerve to actually come and grab your elbow. We didn't walk around long and headed back to the ship.

I'm not as experienced in the Caribbean as most of you, but my least port is other: Grand Turk. There are a FEW t-shirt shacks and a Margaritaville. Lame. I heard the snorkling was great, but I did not do that excursion. I would probably go again, hoping that maybe I missed the good part. Honestly, as I heard a comedian say, "it is just a big ditch."

Twice I have been SCUBA diving off a liveaboard (live on the boat and dive four times a day) that was out of Grand Turk. I have spent time ashore both before and after the week aboard the dive boat and have seen most of Grand Turk (island is 6 miles long!). The last time I was there the liveaboard was leaving due to the lack of support facilities, etc. When I heard that they now had cruise ships stopping there, I wondered what on earth you could possibly do except maybe snorkel or SCUBA dive. Unfortunately I do not think you missed a single thing there. :mad:

• 1 month later...

I have a new least favorite...Aruba! Yuck! Desert in the Caribbean, nothing to do. Baby Beach is next to an oil refinery...looks like a beach next to Three Mile Island...and stinks too! If you have to port here, just hit Eagle Beach and forget about sight seeing. JMOHO.

Archived