Best ship/line for a single ruff-lookin redneck?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

This is a strange topic I know. I very much want to go on my 3rd cruise next spring but I had a mediocre time on the 1st and a terrible time on the 2nd, both were with Holland America. The ships themselves were great and so was the cruise line. The problem was with my fellow passengers and my heavily tattooed appearance. I'm more likely to be mistaken for a skinhead than the typical Holland America passenger (I did keep them covered whenever I could, but when you have over 200 of them it is not always possible, like by the pools). I attracted the type of looks reserved for criminals and 2nd class citizens. Even worst, they stuck me with Anytime Dining, do you have any idea how humiliating it is to be at a table for 8 all alone?! I spent the next two days refusing to leave my stateroom (I ordered all my meals in); a particularly low point since I'm not the type of guy that sits around feelin sorry for myself. When I disembarked I said "never again"! But.....there is something kewl about having a cruise booked that I know you can all relate to.

So what happened? Was I given bad advice to sail on HAL? Or was it just bad luck that this particular sailing had an overwhelming number of closed-minded people? It was a 7 day to Mexico on the Oosterdam out of San Diego in January-just in case anybody wants the details, I don't really want to rehash what went wrong. But I do want to know if there is a ship/cruise out there for the likes of me or if I should stick to camping, fishing, monster truck rallies and nascar races?

I want to celebrate my 40th birthday next winter/spring? I am single, but no meat market atmosphere for me, my carousing days are behind me. Despite my gruff exterior I get along with everyone and people are surprised to see what a nice, fun-lovin guy I am if they can get past judgin the book by its cover. I'd prefer a 7 to 10 day sailing out of an American port. I don't care about single supp issues, I'm used to that.

Most important, if anyone knows of a sailing already planned with lots of fun singles, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered a hosted cruise for singles? I have cruised solo twice but am trying my first hosted cruise this October. This way you will be seated with the group so you never have to sit alone. If you Google singes cruises you will find the agency I booked with. They don't just do cruises but land tours also.

I am very sorry you felt so uncomfortable. I would think HAL would not suit you. I don't know that there is one cruise line I would consider. I have cruised NCL and RCCL solo.

If you prefer assigned seating, do not go with NCL. But I have to tell you I liked Freestyle on NCL. I was never seated at a table for 8 alone. I shared with people who wanted to share or sat alone at a small table. I'm not one to care about eating alone. However, my cruise on RCCL was assigned seating and RCCL was careful to seat me with similar people, a table full of single women. I would think Carnival would do the same thing. Once you board the ship, you can make sure your requests are known to the Dining Room.

If you are interested in solo cruising, versus singles cruises, I would post your situation on the Solo Cruisers board on CruiseCritic. It's right after this one in the Special Interest section. There's a lot of info and support on that board.

Just think, you'll never see these people again. In these situations I always think of my favorite (only?) Dr. Phil quote: "You wouldn't care what people think if you knew how little they did."

I hope you find a cruise for you!

I would think that Carnival cruiseline would suit you the best from what I've heard and read about them. I've never sailed on Carnival, and never will, but I'm sure that you would be very happy on a Carnival cruise.

Hey Poseidon ...you sound like a confident man --confident enough to grab the ID PoseidonGodOfTheSea ! :cool:

Since you asked about singles cruises with "lots of fun singles", I assume you are not afraid of mingling or having fun. And since you say you aren't worried about price (singles cruises are expensive versus the $100-150 per day solo prices available if you shop around), I think a singles cruise would be good for you to try.

People will like your confidence, especially women. Also, I think you should not be afraid to expose your tattoos, many people will be interested; again, especially women. People on cruises, especially solos and singles, are usually more than happy to get to know all kinds of people. And you know how women like "bad boys".

What really struck me, however, and why I am replying, is the degree of literacy and thought you put into your post ... way beyond the level of most people.

Your post reminded me of a man I once met; he looked like a pure redneck cowboy ...nothing wrong with that, but I admit I was surprised when he opened his mouth and I soon realized he was extremely well educated. It's true, you can't judge a book by its cover.

You sound like a person who might be under-appreciated if based solely on your "cover" (pun intended). But with all the mingling on a singles cruise your single cruisemates will be "forced" to get to know you better, which should be interesting for you, and for them, especially as they realize there's more to you than your decoration.

So I suggest you go for it, book a singles cruise and have fun with the experience ;) . I bet the others will have fun with it too.

You can always go back to solo cruising. But be forewarned, once you've been on another cruise I think the cruise bug will have you hog-tied for sure :eek: (actually I think it already does!).

I can't imagine people judging you based on your ink? Unless you have vulgar images that are not appropriate for "family" viewing, I think it would be an interesting conversation piece.

Definitely try another cruise line. Hook up with one of these cruise groups on these boards and make some cruise friends ahead of time. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Book 9/22 Rccl Majesty Sailing- Please...i Would Love To Have A Ruff Looking Redneck On Board!!!!!

Seriously Dirt Cheap Sale Right Now.

But In The Future, Carnival Is The Most Laid Back.

Really, Though F'em & Dont Stop Sailing

HAL was definitely bad advice for you. HAL is very conservative and I've never sailed on their ships. I typically dress in t-shirt and blue jeans and this is not their favorite dress mode.

Many of the ideas listed above are great. A singles cruise could provide you with a great experience.

Mexico is a good place to meet singles. Alaska is a good place to go from Seattle, but there are usually not as many single folks on Alaska Cruises, unless you go on a singles cruise as discussed previously.

Carnival seems a bit more open minded and would probably be a good choice.

People can be extremely cruel and judgemental of others. Independent people like you and I will always run into those situations. Just be yourself.

Bottom Line: Since you have already been to Mexico, I'd attempt to locate a singles cruise to Alaska in 2009. Just do not go on HAL after your past experiences.

Happy Sailing:)

Poseidon,

though I try very hard not to judge a book by its cover, I do have to admit I have a hard time seeing past a lot of ink.

However, you do sound like a kind and intellligent man (and there is no crime in loving camping and NASCAR!) that I'd probably enjoy a conversation with.....

A group of us are going to Alaska in May 09, a mixed bag of couples and singles.... we hang out together on Cruise Critic.... the bulk of us in the Floataway Lounge on a thread whose title starts with "10 Reasons"

We sail a mythical perfect cruise ship called the Mustard of the Seas, and I must say that the crew is some of the warmest, most compassionate and wonderful people I have ever met (and I have met some, and sailed with some).

Why not stop by and see what you think of our merry band.... and if you think you'd like to join us, the ship is not booked up yet!

I've cruised on Carnival solo and have always had a good time which is the reason that I've never tried another line. As a previous poster said, the passengers tend to be a lot more laid back. Normally they try to seat you at dinner with other passenger's who are traveling by themselve's. There was only one cruise that they had me at a table which nobody else showed up the entire cruise. I'm not sure if other's were suppose to be there or not but it didn't bother me. I was actually out of the dinner within 45 mins. every night.

To the OP I know your feeling. I'm a big gruff looking guy myself and am worried about single cruising. I'm going between looking for an organized cruise here off cruise critic and looking at hosted singles cruises on 3rd party sites.

Hell if you can't find anyone to pal around with let me know we can go goon it up together and have fun :)

I would think that Carnival cruiseline would suit you the best from what I've heard and read about them. I've never sailed on Carnival, and never will, but I'm sure that you would be very happy on a Carnival cruise.

Well I have cruised Carnival 3 times with 2 more booked. :D HAL is way to stuffy for me.

I have met people of all walks of life on Carnival -no one looked down me as a solo cruiser, or as a military veteran. HAL did - was told that at the time I was in the AF only hos and lesbos were women in the military. The TPTB did not change my seating for dinner - so I ate in my room. Never again will I cruise HAL>:mad:

I would definitely back up all of the Carnival recommendations. although not as heavily inked as you, i have an almost full back piece. As a mid-twenties social work grad student i frequently hear that folks are shocked when they discover my ink, and have received my fair share of negativity. I received nothing but compliments and impressed curiosity on my Carnival cruise, and never felt uncomfortable in a bathing suit/revealing low backed shirt. I also noticed many heavily inked folks and all appeared to be having a great time.

• 1 month later...

My sons are heavily tatooed, one of them is a tatoo artist. Yes my college grad is a tatoo artist, and no, I don't have any tatoos. I try to looking past the skin deep impressions.

When doing my research for a cruise we could all enjoy, I was looking for a ship that appeals to a younger crowd. Carnival Conquest seemed like the ship my sons and I would enjoy.

Not sure when your next cruise is, but the cruise I will be on (Conquest 11/9/08) has booked a group cruise with belly dancers. It will also be Priate week in the Grand Caymans. This may be more your crowd.

I am a fully sleeved, heavily tattooed female, all the Carnival cruises I've ever been on, I've gotten nothing but compliments. Some girl even asked to take a picture of my legs. Try Carnival, they're more fun. If I had seen you on a cruise, I would have started a conversation!

Archived