Here is our plan

mom2agr8boy

I am leaving on the Pearl September 14-21 with my Mom. I am 36 and she is 62. I am known to get very motion sick on small craft so that is putting a limit on what I feel we can safely do. I will be taking Ginger and have the patch on, but I am still too scared to get on a small boat.

On Tuesday will be coming into port in Juneau around 2pm. We are going to the mendenhall Glacier. I love to take photographs and I understand that there is a lot of trails and things to see that could keep us busy for a number of hours. Afther that we will head to Mt. Roberts and go up in the tram if weather is okay. I think by this time it will be late afternoon and we will walk around town and see some of the sites. If we feel up to it after all of that I think we will catch a bite at the twisted fish and then head back to the boat. We have an even longer day the next day so we might catch an early rest.

On Wednesday we pull in at Skagway early. We will meat chillkoot charters at 7:30 for our train/bus tour. My understanding is that we will be back sometime around 2, but I have heard a number of people post that they have been getting back closer to 3:00. I figure after all that riding we will be ready for a walking tour of the town when we get back. We might even take in a tad of shopping and hoping to get in some good picture time. I am thinking we will be back on the boat to eat there that night.

Thursday is the Glacier bay day so Friday we will be in Ketchikan. We get there early and leave early. I don't have a lot on the plan for that day. I am figuring we will leave the boat late (miss the rush). There is a lot to do as far as things to see. We are going to see married man's tail and all that stuff. The boat leaves around 2pm so there wont be too much time. Is there anyplace real good to get lunch. I read that there aren't too many good places to eat. I read about bar harbor or hotel new york Cafe. I don't want anything to feeling. I nice bowl of hot soup or something like that.

Saturday is Victoria. I am hoping to go to the gardens if they are still open. If not I understand are a number of things to do close to the port. I think we will grab a bite and make it back to the boat to get ready to get home the nest day.

Please add any coments or things you think we whould see. Thanks a lot.

We are also on the same trip as you!

We will be whale watching in Juneau, we saw the whales in Paciific Mexico last winter and loved it so want to see them again. The small boats don't thrill me either but the whales do!

Skagway we will do the train ride

Have no plans yet for the other ports, we will see how it goes.

Really looking forward to this trip

We went to Twisted Fish, and weren't thrilled. It was okay, but VERY loud, the service was poor, and the food was just "okay". I can cook better at home. Given that food is already included in our cruise fare, paying to eat at Twisted Fish really wasn't worth it, and we wouldn't do it again. Others, though, have enjoyed it. Definitely mixed reviews.

Skagway has lots of tourist type shopping, very little in the way of true Alaskan goods. If you want a nice walk, stop at the Forestry Service storefront and get a map of the hikes available. There are a couple of easy ones you could do within your time frame, that would likely give you some photo ops, too.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska... it is a magnificent place.

I was on the Pearl last year.

For your Victoria day I would go to dinner EARLY on the ship. Get there before it opens because there will be a long line of people wanting to eat before you get to Victoria.

If you don't do a garden tour, there will be buses at the pier to take you into town. It wasn't that much, $7 I think. They drop you in town and tell you where the pick up point is. When you want to go back to the ship the line is pretty long but goes quick.

We wandered around town and watched some street performers who were very good. We ended up going to the museum and enjoyed that alot.

Try the Thane Ore House in Juneau, BUT you need to contact them when you get there to arrange a time for shuttle service. I'm sorry to hear of the poor review of Twisted Fish, it has always been excellent for me in the past.

An early morning out on deck your Juneau sailing day, would be well worth your time. I am always out at least a half hour prior to the dawn posted time. Spectacular scenic sailing, same with Glacier Bay, I am always out very early.

Be prepared, you are going to have dusk by 7pm in your timeframe. So have all your plans in place with this in mind.

I wouldn't worry about "missing the rush" in Ketchikan, and actually the wait is going to increase if you are not off the ship early. The ship is docked, anyway, so you may want to make the most of your time??

Thursday is the Glacier bay day so Friday we will be in Ketchikan. We get there early and leave early. I don't have a lot on the plan for that day. I am figuring we will leave the boat late (miss the rush). There is a lot to do as far as things to see. We are going to see married man's tail and all that stuff. The boat leaves around 2pm so there wont be too much time. Is there anyplace real good to get lunch. I read that there aren't too many good places to eat. I read about bar harbor or hotel new york Cafe. I don't want anything to feeling. I nice bowl of hot soup or something like that.

in ktn, annabells is along the waterfront and is just a classy old restaurant. lots of wood and feel. the new york is a hit or miss. if you're going to do the married man's trail (it's really nothing special) then you'll be going by the cape fox hotel. they make a most excellant chowder and the restaurant has a great view. you can ride the funicular from creek street but i think they charge a couple of bucks in the summer. steamer's is just opposite of the cruise dock, also a hit or miss.

Archived