Alaska Excursions advice

I am posting this here and on the ports board. The RCCL excursions list seems to be longer than Celebrity (this will be first RCCL). If you have done any of the following or have suggestions/advice pro/con on these, please post. I am sure others would welcome the feedback.

I am trying to gather some experienced cruisers feedback on various excursions to help my sister plan for her cruise with their children. Active family, parents: late-40's and two boys, 11 and 14.

Thanks

Nancy

Skagway:

Haines Wildlife Kayak or the Hike and Float the Chilkoot Trail

Juneau:

Whale watching or Mendenhall Glacier Float trip or seaplane adventure. I have done the whale watching and enjoyed it; have heard god things about trekking on the glacier, but that is not the plan for the family.

Ketchikan:

Seaplane/Misty Fjords, Tatoosh kayak,

OR suggestions for the excursions, web links, etc.

THANKS

Nancy

2 of our fav excursions on our Alaskan trip was Taku Lodge, Juneau...and the glacier helicopter tour. not sure what port that was in. But, the Taku lodge tour was awesome. We went by seaplane and they give you this incredible tour of glaciers, the area, etc... and then you have lunch, drinks at this cute lodge. And literally while eating a black bear came to the grill area and was eating the "left" salmon on the grill. We were all inside natrually, but he was just feet away. And then he went into the wooded area nearby and rested and we got some GREAT pics of him. It was everyone in our group's fav excursion while in Alaska. Have fun! It's an awesome cruise.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

In my opinion:

Ketchikan: The misty fjord sea plane has been my favorite overall! Beutifull ride..landing in a secluded lake very very scerene. Well worth the cost. I could not reccommend this one enought!

Juneau: The best is helicopter ride landing on glacier absolutly awsome. The next time I did a whale watching...it was very nice and I enjoyed...but on our visit only saw two and they were not that big so it was a bit of a dissapointment. Would much rather go to glacier again.

Skagway: Did the Hike and Float Chilkoot Trail and I really enjoyed. There really was not much to the hike..but the canoe ride was wonderfull. We were the only ones out there so it was so quite and beutifull. Saw several bears and other wildlife.

We are in our mid 30's with no kids so I cannot say teanagers would enjoy..In my past expeirence it seems the adults enjoy the alsaka cruise more than the teenagers.

Have a great trip..you cannot go wrong no matter what you choose.

Michael

Soverign of the Seas Nov 99

Majesty of the Seas Apr 00, Nov OO

Enchangement of the Seas Sep 00, Oct 02

Rhaposdy of the Seas Jun 01

Elation Oct 01

Zuiderdam Apr 03

Radiance of the Seas Jun 03

Voyager Nov 03

Mariner Apr 04

Juneau- Whale watching with Capt. Larry. Ask for his boat. His company is Orca Enterprises. Cannot book him through cruise line but direct. Cruise line booking is on much larger boat.

Skagway - Did glacier landing from there. Great!

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dancin Gal if you will go to the top of the first page and click on CRUISE CRITIC MESSAGE BOARDS and then click on PORTS OF CALL and then click on ALASKA there is a really good place to learn just about anything you ever wanted to know about that region. Most of the questions are answered by locals or people that are really familar with Alaska. They have really helped me! icon_smile.gif

Vision of the Sea/ Alaska Northbound 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;9;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

My vote is for TAku Glacier Lodge. My highlight also. The plane and helicopter trips are very expensive expecially for 4 so you may want to consider that also.

VISION OF THE SEAS 9/2000

STATENDAM 5/2002

HOLIDAY 1/2003

RHAPSODY 4/2003

RHAPSODY 4/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

It really depends on what you are in to and how much you are willing to spend. For example, I really enjoyed Mendenhall Glacier, which was less than $10pp roundtrip. However, we also enjoyed the helicopter landing later that day on the glacier, which was a fabulous experience--although I wouldn't necessarily do it again.

In Skagway, we opted for the Discover the Yukon trip. It is largely a bus trip, but we opted for it over the train as we wanted to see the beauty of the Yukon territory and be able to get out. We saw some beautifyl vistas, a bear and her cub, and some fabulous lakes. If you are into a relaxed and scenic trip, this might be an option for you.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

Archived