How can we help Grand Cayman ?

kellanrevere

We are bringing some school supplies to Cozumel to drop off. Is there anyplace to drop anything off for Grand Cayman? And what?

Something as insignificant as a package of baby bottles or couple of note books doesn't seem like much to us but might make a big difference to people in need. A little bit from many can help greatly.

I was thinking of the same thing! Many folks take supplies to Cozumel but would think it could be a great thing for Grand Cayman to do- just imagine!

Any information would be appreciated! Sure would like to help!

Sue

LOL, Sorry , I certainly didn't mean to imply that people weren't friendly here. I just meant that there was more attention being paid to WHEN passengers can get back onto the island. biggrin.gif

I , too am looking very forward to my vacation and hope to be able to visit Grand Cayman. I would like to bring a little something that might make life a little easier for a local. I was wondering if collection points are being formed and what would be needed. It doesn't even have to be limited to schools.

Cayman Islands

Chairman Peter Milburn

The Cayman Islands Red Cross website can be found at http://www.redcross.org.ky

Address

PO Box 10508 APO

George Town

Grand Cayman

Cayman Islands

British West Indies

Telephone (calling from the UK not the states!

use codes in phone book and last 7 numbers)

(001) 345 949 6785 / 8751

Fax

(001) 345 945 4813

There is also the Cayman Islands National Recovery Fund...

"The Trust will benefit those who were injured, rendered homeless, destitute or otherwise adversely affected by the hurricane and their families and dependants and to further the social, educational, economic, religious and environmental recovery of the Islands."

"Mr. McCarthy continued: “We know that there are individuals, agencies and businesses that have set up accounts to assist the Cayman Islands at this difficult time. We are very grateful for these efforts and hope that they continue. The Government of the Cayman Islands and the Board Trustees of the Fund simply request that these funds be transferred to The Cayman Islands National Recovery Fund,” said Mr. McCarthy. “This will enable the Board of Trustees to know the full extent of donated funds available for the recovery effort.” "

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2004/09/739/fund.shtml

I have a feeling cash donations may be best so they can buy what they need based on priority. I imagine they could use just about anything.

It does seem to be more satisfying and personal to bring something to the island instead of sending a check.

Thanks for the donation link, the British Red Cross also operates

on donations. I know that the Cayman Red Cross has had food and clothing distrubition on-going as I type.

I am having no luck with their Embassy in Washington? Do they even have one?

Although the island a a Commonwealth nations has support, I know from Hurricane Mitch and Roatan what they need.

The Anglican Church may be a good start, many Baptists on the islalnd as well.

I will give a few suggestions of things to think about.

First, shipping stuff in is difficult and expensive.

Then realize that Cayman has thousands of foreign workers, some close

to destitution now. So all items will find a place.

The Cayman folks reading this should ask around and make sure to look at the following:

1. medical supply needs (many of us are medical professionals)

2. educational needs school supplies

3. clothing

4. childrens needs and infant & mother needs

Suspect they will need computers, power tools and such as Roatan did for a year or three. Computer needs effect every business! I always toss a few floppys and a mouse and keyboard in my medical supply to the Caribbean.

Example: if a family doctor loses his office: he loses things he has to replace via insurance (good luck) and this is where I will concentrate my efforts.

Besides medical supplies are the easiest to carry down if flying. The same goes for a Denist that is wiped out, she or he will need some help.

Churches will want Bibles and stuff for their flock.

I am sure the SCUBA folks will email the vendors as soon as they have working email and bring some donations.

I suspect the Royal Navy has handled all medical issues to a high degree of effectiveness.

A lot of "bubbas" smile folks travel with their ladies: Texas roughnecks!

or whatever; being a Colorado Cowboy. So Cayman folks: ask for a pump or a welding tool part!

That is all until say Saturday as I cruise out but not to Cayman, was there a few months ago.:cool:

Joe "Coloradolad"

PS

I do medical supply and help for Mexico and now, Roatan. I do not do Cozumel or Cancun but may add some services. I always can use Colorado folks to carry a few items to Roatan. I can link any medical profession via websites to Roatan medical facilities. Our Mexican services are concentrated between Southern Colorado and Juarez. Migrant workers and families. Those non-medical folks mostly here in Colorado can be supplied with medical items to take to Roatan. We are as they say "nondemonational" spell like a fool!

But many of the places we serve are Christian groups.

PS2

Who am I?

Joe Colorado, retired Army: Psychologist, Nursing degree, married 25 years hence the cruises! Anniversary!

I do not accept nor sollict medical supply donations via the internet.

Love you all and one!

Joe

Thank you Joe

Hubby is retired Navy and we have been married over 27 years. Both of our fathers were retired military. Maybe this is where we get our "helpful" nature. Everyone in the military needed a little help from their "family" one time or another and they were always around.

We have donated to Red Crosses numerous times this year , thanks to our hurricane year here at home. I figured basics of food and clothing would be taken care of but was wondering about other things. You have given me many ideas.

Now.... where to leave them ? Do you think the Red Cross will be setting up drop off sites?

Kelly

Gads!

I am a second generation "Navy Brat" that goes back to 1917!

I grew up Panama, Key West, etc,!

Then I joined the Army!!

I recall after Mitch in 1999, folks scampered for a few months then it slows down.

I do know direct to "the people' donations exceed the help the Red Cross does after the first few weeks!

Our Cayman Islanders have no idea what the cruise ships can bring down.

I also am always wondering what the darn the cruise lines think?

I will be on line Saturday as I cruise out.

Joe

PS

One suggestion: when in doubt see the large banks a few hundred yards in port: they will know where to take supplies. Also ask a Police officer,!

Joe

I am not aware that Grand Cayman has a embassy anywhere on the planet. Could not find one listed here: http://www.embassyworld.com

My guess would be to contact the British Embassy.

While Ivan and the other hurricanes affected lots of people on a number of islands and Florida and I have nothing against Red Cross of any nation, I think if one donates to the British Red Cross Caribbean Appeal fund it seems to be distributed among Grenada, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti. Lord knows they all need help. I suppose you could specify a request with your donation and I would think they would try to honor it.

If you want to donate through the Grand Cayman Red Cross, here is another article or what they are up to and a couple of phone numbers:

http://caymannetnews.com/2004/10/741/redcross.shtml

Lots of info here, albeit some is dated:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/hurricane_archive.asp

Here is another promising source to ask:

http://www.caymanchamber.ky/

Because the island has not yet opened for tourism, I'm not sure why they would have drop off locations, but hopefully they will read this and set something up when the tourists return. A location near where the tenders land would be most convenient for cruise ship passengers and one at the airport for tourists arriving there.

Yes, $$$ money donations sometimes after the first week are not the best!

People here want to help

people, directly.

Suspect in afew days we will have proper answers from Cayman!

Like I said in my to long post: help people directly!

We need Cayman feedback ASAP!

Joe

Archived