Journey to Paradise - August 8, 2008

TravelingFamily5

Been spending sleepless night reading this board to prepare for our trip. I really thank those CC members who helped me especially with itinerary. After months of waiting our time has finally arrived. I never realized there were obstacles along the way......even in paradise.

Click on the link below:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218951780/tpod.html

When we booked this room, we were so eager to see its picture but we can't find it anywhere until I met Cindy here who shared her pics and we got even more excited.

Here's the link to the picture: Deluxe Family Penthouse Suite 9500

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218261480/tpod.html

When we booked this room, we were so eager to see its picture but we can't find it anywhere until I met Cindy here who shared her pics and we got even more excited.

Here's the link to the picture: Deluxe Family Penthouse Suite 9500

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218261480/tpod.html

Thanks for the review, the pictures were great. These reviews are always appreciated by cc members.

Did you and your family do any excursions? Or did I miss them. Thanks.

After visiting the Volcano National Park I asked the kids if they want to see Akaka Falls or go to the lava viewing area (end of Highway 130). They said they had enough waterfalls on the RTH. I told them we won't see anything but more VOG because it is daytime. They still want to go. (I wondered if we have enough time to go back to the ship).

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1217995080/tpod.html

We had a hard time planning our itinerary in Kona because there's so much to see in such a limited time.

Thanks to Donna who advised us to just focus on one side of the island. And we picked the south side because we wanted to snorkel in Kahalu'u or Two Steps and wondered if we can make it to South Point as well.

People were saying that it is far and advised not to go there until Chidis posted on this board that they did it. After Chidis took the time to answer all our questions we decided to go.

After looking at the pictures the kids were interested to go too especially DD1 after reading an article in a magazine about the colorful sand beaches in Hawaii.

We prepared for the one hour hike each way by walking about 4 to 5 miles in the neighborhood. DS and DD1 are training for black belt in tang soo doo. They're required to run about 3 miles. DH run with them. Sometimes I go with them in the running track.

DS said that the Green Sand Beach was the most beautiful and fun beach he'd been too and the hike was the best hike he ever did. (DS is a boy scout, BTW).

And here's our pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

Double click on the picture to enlarge it or click the view as a slide on the top.

Kona:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218650220/tpod.html

Just want to pop back in here once again to tell you how much we have enjoyed YOUR Hawaii adventure! I even posted a new thread - Beautiful Hawaii - Please Read - on this board hoping that everyone who loves Hawaii or planning a first visit will find your "Journey to Paradise" reviews and marvelous pictures. Maybe you could post all the links to your reviews there?Again, thank you so much for our armchair summer visit to our very favorite destination! You and your family surely have precious memories to savor.

Aloha!

All the reviews and pictures you gave us were great fun looking over. Thanks for all the work! We are going on the Hawaiian cruise Oct. 6. and I mentioned on another thread but not sure if you got this. What is the blue book you mentioned? Did you use it to help decide your plan in Hawaii?

All the reviews and pictures you gave us were great fun looking over. Thanks for all the work! We are going on the Hawaiian cruise Oct. 6. and I mentioned on another thread but not sure if you got this. What is the blue book you mentioned? Did you use it to help decide your plan in Hawaii?

The blue books that I referred to are the Revealed Books by Andrew Doughty. The book cover is blue so a lot people refer to it as the blue book.

The book is also controversial because the author suggest places that are on private property; places with no tresspassing signs; the book will tell you its ok and trails unknown to the public were published. And a lot of locals are angry with that.

Since then they have revised the book.

I like the book because it is very detailed and thorough. It is based on the authors experienced in each places. The author also uses mile markers for directions which I found very helpful because a lot of places has no posted signs.

The actual names of the books that I've used are:

Oahu Revealed (2nd edition)

Maui Revealed (4th edition)

Hawaii The Big Island Revealed (4th edition)

Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (6th edition)

I bought it at Barnes and Nobles. You can also order it through amazon.com.

As advised by a lot of people, do not leave this book in your car while in Hawaii. Hide it or you have a great chance of your car being break-in to. It not only show that you're a tourist but as I mentioned above a lot of locals does not like this book.

The blue books that I referred to are the Revealed Books by Andrew Doughty. The book cover is blue so a lot people refer to it as the blue book.

The book is also controversial because the author suggest places that are on private property; places with no tresspassing signs; the book will tell you its ok and trails unknown to the public were published. And a lot of locals are angry with that.

Since then they have revised the book.

I like the book because it is very detailed and thorough. It is based on the authors experienced in each places. The author also uses mile markers for directions which I found very helpful because a lot of places has no posted signs.

The actual names of the books that I've used are:

Oahu Revealed (2nd edition)

Maui Revealed (4th edition)

Hawaii The Big Island Revealed (4th edition)

Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (6th edition)

I bought it at Barnes and Nobles. You can also order it through amazon.com.

As advised by a lot of people, do not leave this book in your car while in Hawaii. Hide it or you have a great chance of your car being break-in to. It not only show that you're a tourist but as I mentioned above a lot of locals does not like this book.

Thanks Marissa! I'll check them out. Your reviews and pics are great.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club after the cruise. We had so much fun hiking and snorkeling.

The highlights of our stay:

- Hiking to Ka'ena Point where we saw a monk seal.

- Snorkeling in Shark's Cove where a green sea turtle swam close by

- Watching the green sea turtles basking under the sun in Laniakea (Turtle) Beach.

Here's the link:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218921420/tpod.html

I will be posting more pictures over the weekend.

I still have entertainment book coupon's if anybody is interested. It will expire on November 1. 2008.

Germaine's Luau (Oahu) - 25%off up to 4 adults

Sea Quest Rafting Adventure (Kona) - 25% off up to 6 people for afternoon snorkel tour

USS Bowfin Submarine (Oahu)

Body Glove (Kona)

I was looking forward to your Oahu report and you didn't disappoint!! Loved reading about your stay at Ko Olina. We have spent the day out there but never stayed there. Would you stay there again? Our concern has always been that it is a long way from there to get to other places of interest on that island. It looks as though you had no problem! I hope everyone going to Hawaii reads your reviews. We've always thought Oahu has just about everything every other island has with the exception of an active volcano. You just have to get away from Honolulu/Waikiki and explore! We love that island. Thanks again for posting your detailed and extraordinary adventures.

We like Ko Olina. It feels like its in the middle of everything. There is Safeway and Walmarts nearby to buy groceries. There's also restaurants there. If you don't feel like going out there's a Steakhouse Restaurant in the hotel. The driving was not really bad. Maybe because we're used to it. We live in the Hudson Valley and we drive to New York City to work.

We plan to go back in 2010. We're already booked in Ko Olina.

BTW, I added more pictures.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/bakasyonista/6/1218921420/tpod.html

Archived