FYI: 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 2009

lambs2

Recently found in the 'frequently asked questions' on the NCL.com site mid-page under tipping:

"NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)"

Its been $10 so long this was inevitable especially with the decline of the US dollar against most currencies. They didn't increase the child's amount. For a week its a big $14.00...I wish my gas bill would only go up that much....

but I do think since the barrel price of oil has dropped 25% that surcharge should be lowed...

We normally tip in addition to the $10 per day so I don't have a problem with the increase. I think the crew deserves every penny!!

this doesn't bother us too much either, though I am not jumping with joy. Disney has been $12 for awhile, Princess is either $10.50 or $11 so I guess we could all see it coming but we choose to keep our eyes closed. For those who are a few years older, we can remember when tipping at a resaurant was 10%, then 12 and finally 15%, just to find out most expect 17-20% today, especially in the better dining rooms. How about tipping the house keeper in a hotel? This is something that has only been a policy for maybe the last 15 years or so and many still do not. When it started it was suggested $1.00 per day per person, now anything less than $2.00 per person is cheap. BTW, I am cheap. We still only leave about $1.00 per day per person. How about valet parking, for years $1.00 was considered standard, now it is $2 or more. Guess we all need to go into the service industry....LOL

Its been $10 so long this was inevitable especially with the decline of the US dollar against most currencies. They didn't increase the child's amount. For a week its a big $14.00...I wish my gas bill would only go up that much....
Absolutely, agree with that. We paid $10 pp in the first half of 2003, so this will make a total of (at least) 6 years that it didn't change.

I always tip extra. I think the crew deserve every penny and I don't mind the tip is going up at all.

I somewhat agree but keep in mind with NCL this is not a tip. It is a service charge which can't be adjusted up or down regardless of the service recieved.I understand the need for auto tips (due to stiffing the staff) but I still prefer the old way when you felt like you were rewarding someone for a job well done.I just feel like if you are going to take tipping out of my hands then don't be holding out your hand at the end of the cruise!

I somewhat agree but keep in mind with NCL this is not a tip. It is a service charge which can't be adjusted up or down regardless of the service recieved.I understand the need for auto tips (due to stiffing the staff) but I still prefer the old way when you felt like you were rewarding someone for a job well done.I just feel like if you are going to take tipping out of my hands then don't be holding out your hand at the end of the cruise!

and NCL says its neither required nor expected but you can free to do so if you want to...

What about Tipping?

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

{non-service charge positions statement removed}

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)

Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and compensated by a combination of salary and incentive program that the Service Charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise; please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

I think the crew, with little exception, deserves every penny. Not only for NCL, but RCCL and as much as I did not care that much for Carnival, their staff was excellent and worked very hard. (only issue for me with Carnival was it was a "party" atmosphere, if you know what i mean).

it says you can not remove it, but you can if you have good reason. No, I just want to do my own tipping is not good reason.. I have yet to have any service crew member give me any reason to think they expect a tip above and beyond. Everytime we do tip more (which we usually do for some) we are always greeted with thank yous and smiles...

Nita

We usually will give extra tips to staff we feel went the extra mile(typically if we have a good cabin steward and on week long cruises if we have the same dining staff and they were nice to us). At least it's only $2 a day which isn't bad. Although if they keep adding on all these different fees, it's going to make all the cruise deals seem a lot less like a deal. :p

I have yet to have any service crew member give me any reason to think they expect a tip above and beyond. Everytime we do tip more (which we usually do for some) we are always greeted with thank yous and smiles...

Nita

Nita this has been our experience as well.

As a matter of fact, we had dinner in Impressions I think the second night of our cruise and the service was excellant so we left a tip. We made reservations again for a couple of nights later and again had the same waiter. The service was again excellant and when he brought the "check" for us to sign for the surcharge, he made it a point to tell us that no additional tip was necessary and thanked us. Needless to say we left him another tip for that night.

I always thought the $10 pp per day was more then reasonable. Quite honestly, IMO an increase to $12 is still very reasonable and in many instances that extra tip is well deserved and has always been appreciated but NEVER expected.

Happy Cruising! :)

I agree with and accept the $2 increase, but I'm still astonished that they raised the $40 charge for a bar set-up in your cabin to $80 and $100!! We sailed last April on the Star and Absolut and Dewars White label were $40 each ...now Absolut is $80 and they only offer Glenfiddish (sp?) for $100. Yikes! Are they trying to regain their expense output for their 2.0 program all at once or what!?!:eek:

Archived