Best Snorkeling???

mizpriz

We are going to the Western Caribbean in December and would like some suggestions as to which island may have the best snorkeling. We will be going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We have been to these islands previously but had other excursions planned. I would appreciate any ideas!

We are going to the Western Caribbean in December and would like some suggestions as to which island may have the best snorkeling. We will be going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We have been to these islands previously but had other excursions planned. I would appreciate any ideas!

G.C. has a very good site . Walk to the right around the harbor after you get off the tender. You will come to a blue building believe it is called Eden roc. Locker rental is @$4 and it has steps down into the water. Take some fruit loops or similar cereal from the lido rest. to use for chum(keep it sealed till ready to use)inclose many schools of fish including #70 tarpon go out further to @ 30' and the big yellowtail,mutton and grouper show up. It is in this depth that you come across the large coral formations and caves ...have fun(they also rent snorkel gear) point is very nice minimal cost.

If you look on the Cruise Critic Boards under "Cruise Discussion Topics" where you posted your question under the thread "Ask A Cruise Question" you'll see a thread entitled "Scuba and Snorkeling." If you ask your question there you will get more answers from snorkeling people. Have a great time!

In Coz these days, you really need to take a boat for the better areas, I suggest EagleRayDivers.

If doing just the rays in GC, then there is no real snorkeling, you need to get a tour that combines a reef stop.

I don't recall any snorkel spots on the Ocho Rios side...

But read about more options in each of those PortsOfCall section here at CC. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Please do not use Fruit Loops

They contain sugar, artificial dyes, flavoring, and preservatives. Which are all unhealthy for fish.

I recommend rolls which contain non of the above.

Fish love it.

G.C. has a very good site . Walk to the right around the harbor after you get off the tender. You will come to a blue building believe it is called Eden roc. Locker rental is @$4 and it has steps down into the water. Take some fruit loops or similar cereal from the lido rest. to use for chum(keep it sealed till ready to use)inclose many schools of fish including #70 tarpon go out further to @ 30' and the big yellowtail,mutton and grouper show up. It is in this depth that you come across the large coral formations and caves ...have fun(they also rent snorkel gear) point is very nice minimal cost.

Please do not use Fruit Loops

They contain sugar, artificial dyes, flavoring, and preservatives. Which are all unhealthy for fish.

I recommend rolls which contain non of the above.

Fish love it.

Insignificant ...you would be amazed at what sea water is comprised of...b.t.w. if you were to paddle just west of the cali you would observe lead core batteries I have tried and failed to get removed.(Why do kids eat em?)

My suggestion is both Grand Cayman (stingray city) and Cozumel (off the reef). We love snorkeling and try to do it every chance we get. Both the above are excellent. Stingray city will not show you the fish that Cozumel will though. But playing with the stingrays are fun.

Insignificant ...you would be amazed at what sea water is comprised of...b.t.w. if you were to paddle just west of the cali you would observe lead core batteries I have tried and failed to get removed.(Why do kids eat em?)

:rolleyes:

~~

Harm to "fed" fishes: Experts on fish nutrition point out that many of the foods (hot dogs, baloney, cheese-in-a-can, bread, pretzels, potato chips, etc ) commonly fed to fishes by divers and snorkelers will predictably result in health problems for these animals, which do not naturally encounter such substances.

Fish cannot handle hard fats.

The fish packs the hard fats into the organs of its body with serious consequences to its health -excess carbohydrates are not suitable for fish". Even presumably "natural" foods sometimes prove harmful or lethal to marine animals.

Increased vulnerability to underwater hunters and poachers presents a particularly serious threat for "fed" fishes - particularly to certain of the larger predatory species such as groupers and snappers - the very kinds of reef fishes most in need of protection today. There are number of locations where "tamed" (by feeding) reef fish have been killed in this way.

Some Notable Precedents for the Prohibition/Regulation of Diver Feeding of Marine Fishes Wild fish feeding remains for the most part an entirely unregulated activity in most U.S. coastal waters. However, there are some notable examples of situations in which such activity is now prohibited or strictly regulated:

• Based upon scientific findings (Hawaii DLNR 1993) as well as public opinion, the State of Hawaii has already passed legislation banning the feeding of reef fishes at some locations, and dialog continues that may eventually lead to extending that ban to other areas
  • The U.S. National Park Service maintains a total ban on feeding of fishes in all of its marine parks, including those in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Hawaii, and Biscayne Bay
  • The Great Barrier Reef Authority (Australia) presently strictly regulates fish feeding on the GBR through a strict permitting system, involving tight restrictions on number of permits issued and qualification/training of permittees, location of feeding sites, frequency of feeding, types of foods allowed, and mandatory written and oral warnings (of the dangers) to "customers". The GBRA has specifically reserved the right to entirely prohibit feeding in the future.

Chankanaab National park in Cozumel. Greta snorkeling! There is also some sort of religious statue underwater.Put it in google and you will see what I am talking about. Take a taxi there and stay all day. Good beach restaurant also. You can also watch people swimming with the dolphins there. We love snorkeling there:)

In GC, we snorkeled from the Paradise restaurant, right next to the Eden Rock Dive Center, and it was great! The Tarpon are HUGE! Holy moly!

We did our excursion through the ship, but if we ever get back there, we'll skip the ship excursion and just walk the extra 100 feet to Eden Rock. :D

You get a nice view of all the ships, too. :D

Serious overkill...if you had seen what I have you would not let them worry you so much... some of these groups get tunnel vision.One of the first reefs I dove on in the 60's has been completely buried by sand due to hurricanes and every coral animal on the 6 miles of reef line are dead...would it have really hurt anything by touching that reef?You are not the worst thing that happened to this planet.Try to have fun it's short.

Archived