Canal & Company

binkie

Has anyone ever sailed with "Canal & Company"? Could you offer some info as to quality of ships, food, service, excursions, etc. We've sailed many times on ocean liners, but have never been on a river cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Binkie:

This is a river barging company. Ships are much smaller than the river cruises. They hold under 200 passengers (Some are larger than others but most will hold around 130), but the barges hold alot less people. Usually under 50.

To me they don't look quite as luxurious as the river cruise ships, but I haven't experienced one.

Sailed with Canal and Company in May of this year on the Barge "Lorraine" throught the Alsace and Lorraine regions of France. We booked thorugh Aberkrombie and Kent. In a word - EXCELLENT!

Do not expect a stateroom like those on a cruise ship. The barge accommodated 22 passengers in 11 cabins. The cabins were small but very functional, and the ensuite bathroom was better than I expected. The only time we were in our cabin was to shower and sleep. The rest of the time we spent either on excursions (all excellent and included in the price of the cruise), walking or riding bikes along the towpath (you can meet the barge at any one of the locks), or enjoying the company of other passengers in the main salon on on the outside deck. There was a small bus that met the barge at the mooring points and took us on the excursions. The driver/guide was very knowledgeable and, like everyone in the crew, spoke very good English.

The food was superb! We had an outstanding young chef who shopped almost daily and prepared whatever was freshest and best from the market.

We opted to make our own air arrangements and stayed in Paris for a few days prior to the cruise, so we met the group at the Gare l'est TGV station. The meeting, boarding and transfer of luggage on and off the train was handled very efficienty.

We had a wonderful experience. As a word of caution, do not expect entertainment like on an ocean cruise. Onboard "entertainment" was basically interacting with fellow passengers. In many instances, you are moored overnight in small towns and there is the opportunity to explore on your own in the evenings.

I would highly recommend Canal & Company if you are considering a barge cruise. If you would like to contact me for more information you may e-mail me at janetdep@widomaker.com

Hope this is helpful.

Archived