Dawn, Aqua & Venetian

Bustaty

Both have the exact same menu. Venetian is the popular one with high ceilings, staircase at entrance and sweeping views of the aft of the ship. Aqua has low ceilings and is much smaller.... Venetian has a longer waiting time than Aqua. We usually ended up eating at Aqua since we didn't want to wait so long.

Based on what I've been reading in reviews, Aqua may be preferred by those who prefer casual wear, and Venetian by those who prefer to dress up. But, I am also wondering the same thing.

In both restaurants we noticed that some people were dressed very nicely, others looked like they were ready to go on a shore excursion. :eek:

Both have the exact same menu. Venetian is the popular one with high ceilings, staircase at entrance and sweeping views of the aft of the ship. Aqua has low ceilings and is much smaller.... Venetian has a longer waiting time than Aqua. We usually ended up eating at Aqua since we didn't want to wait so long.

How long were waits for Venetian? What time were you dining so I know peak times to avoid? Thanks...

How long were waits for Venetian? What time were you dining so I know peak times to avoid? Thanks...

Peek dining times: 6pm to 8:15

We waited approx. 30 min. each day and we went to dinner between 7-7:30

Peek dining times: 6pm to 8:15

We waited approx. 30 min. each day and we went to dinner between 7-7:30

Wow, Herb....I thought waits were uncommon and if occurred were only for a few minutes! And those peak dining times are---well---when we will want to eat;) ! Thanks for the warning. Pat

We're part of the lucky ones who have never had much wait for dinner on NCL -- but we tend to eat earlier, around 6 or so. The problem, if you wait until 7 or 7:30 to eat, is that the restaurant is still full from the "first seating", to use a traditional dining term, and you will need to wait until those folks are done eating before they'll be able to seat you.

If you think about it logically, the doors to the dining rooms open at 5:30 or 6. By 6:30 or so, all the tables will be full. If it takes an hour and a half or two hours for dinner (not uncommon), those passengers who were seated for that "first seating" won't be getting finished until 7 at the earliest -- more likely 7:30, so if you show up at 7, you will probably be waiting for a spot.

If you don't want to end up waiting, you can usually avoid it by getting to the dining room between 6 and 6:30, or waiting until around 8.

We preferred the ambiance of Vanetion. I found the crew in Aqua to be unhappy to serve and we avoided it after the first evening. We (table for 2) never had to wait no matter what time we dined.

As said........ both have the same menu.

Happy sails :)

That doesn't make sense about the crew. They move all the time, we had the same waiter in Salsa one night as the next night in Venetian. One of the crew explained that to us, they just travel around.

The food is the same in both - excellent. Venetian is bigger and Venetian has breakfast. Once we remembered this we didn't eat in the buffet again - cold eggs just don't do it for me.

Venetian is also harder to get to, whereas Aqua is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the ship by the main elevators.

Waiting time for both were about a half hour so we ate early (by 6 pm) and then ate a snack again late at night (my diabetic husband has to). They will not let you make a reservation for the two main rooms unless you have 8 people.

Keep in mind the average age of the cruise. New England/ Canada is usually an older crowd and prefer to eat earlier. In 2006 when we cruised that itinerary the average age was about 64. Most passengers ate at 5:00. They ran specials in the paid resturants everynight. They even let the crew eat in them too. We never had a problem eating anytime after 6:30pm :D On the flip side the night life was quiet. I felt sorry for this young couple on their honeymoon. They were hoping for more of a partying atmosphere.

Was starting to get a bit nervous about NCL, but sounds like if you are sailing when kids are in school, that eating dinner is not as difficult...is that correct? And do I only require reservations in upcharge restaurants? thanks....we are on the Dawn 9/21 out of NYC

marthatravels -- The fuller the ship is, and they tend to sail over-capacity when the kids are out of school, the more people they're feeding, and the longer the wait time seems to be. We've sailed on NCL 5 times and never waited longer than about 20 minutes for dinner. That was on "formal night" back in 2004 when people were getting the pictures taken and then all ended up at the dining room at the same time for dinner.

The only restaurants that will need are the specialty dining rooms, as their capacity is so much smaller. The main dining rooms don't even accept reservations unless you're dining with a large party -- I think it's 8 or more.

If you're sailing on the Dawn on 9/21, you're on the same sailing we're on. We'd love to have you come join the roll-call (the link is in my signature line) and meet up with the rest of us. We're scheduling a "meet and greet" which I think will be held on Monday morning.

Archived