Notarised letters for MINORS

ScotFi

Hi

Have just found out recently that we will require a letter from our daughter (as she not traveling) to take our grandson on a cruise. Leaving from Fort Lauderdale for 5 nights. It has to include permission for us to make medical decisions and be able to sign any waivers. They ask it is signed by a notary had a problem finding one locally.

Has anyone else been asked for this and what has their experience been. We have spoke to our lawyer who wil undoubtedly charge and is not able to give a price as he has no experience of this. Anyone any ideas. In America banks will do this for clients.

Can fully understand why they are requesting proof you should have the minor with you. Particularly in todays climate.

Thank for any advice:)

I've seen links posted on this board to a suitable document for your purpose. Someone will probably post one soon. I was in the same situation back in January because I was taking a 20 year old friend of my daughter's with us on a cruise. At the time we booked the cruise, Royal insisted we have the proper document. We went ahead and did the notary thing and had the doc, but no one ever asked for it. However, I've read here that if you have a medical issue, or even get back from an excursion late and miss the ship, you might have problems being in a foreign country without that doc. Even though you might not be asked to present the doc, it's probably a good idea to have it.

Your daughter AND the child's father need to write the letter and have it notarized, giving YOU the permission to take your grandchild out of the country. Both their signatures must be notarized. If your daughter has SOLE LEGAL CUSTODY then she needs to give you a copy of the court order that gives her sole legal custody and then the letter granting you permission only needs to be signed by her, but customs and airlines prefer both signatures.

If your daughter lives in Scotland, she can take the document to the American Embassy. They do it for Americans living abroad frequently.

Hi

Have just found out recently that we will require a letter from our daughter (as she not traveling) to take our grandson on a cruise. Leaving from Fort Lauderdale for 5 nights. It has to include permission for us to make medical decisions and be able to sign any waivers. They ask it is signed by a notary had a problem finding one locally.

Has anyone else been asked for this and what has their experience been. We have spoke to our lawyer who wil undoubtedly charge and is not able to give a price as he has no experience of this. Anyone any ideas. In America banks will do this for clients.

Can fully understand why they are requesting proof you should have the minor with you. Particularly in todays climate.

I've been taking my 8 year old grandson once a year. He's now 17. I've been asked for the letter 3 times (and was glad I had it). Two other times, they spoke with my grandson directly, asking who I was and what grade he was in, who is mother was and where she lived....that type of thing.....

You won't need it until you do. If they ask and you cannot provide it, you can be denied boarding. Same thing debarking. If Immigration asks to see the letter and you don't have one, you will be delayed while they completely checkout any verbal information you may give them.

It's only a piece of paper but can save you a lot of grief.

Understand that this requirement is to prevent child abduction.

My experience mid July. I had two teen nieces with me that looked more like 20 y/os rather than teens. Even so, their seapasses have two hole punches in them designating them a minor. No one ever asked for a letter for them but I am assuming it is because, as I said, they looked much older and no one would figure they were being kidnapped against their will! My friend (mid 60s) took two younger grandchildren (as in 7 and under) with her on a cruise and she was asked. Perhaps b/c she was probably what one would consider too old to have kids that young, she was asked but as I said in my case above, I was not.

Surprisingly though, the letter they want asks what onboard activities the child can have access. The letter wasn't really enough for that. The girls came and had to have me physically who up and sign for them to ice skate and climb the rock wall. The guy said that letter was pretty much what would be used for medical problems that arose but I had to physically show up once to sign for them to do the skating and rock wall. At that time, they got another type punch on their seapass indicating they had my signature already.

In the US we can get notarized stuff easily at our banks and no lawyers are needed. HTH

Surprisingly though, the letter they want asks what onboard activities the child can have access. The letter wasn't really enough for that. The girls came and had to have me physically who up and sign for them to ice skate and climb the rock wall. The guy said that letter was pretty much what would be used for medical problems that arose but I had to physically show up once to sign for them to do the skating and rock wall. At that time, they got another type punch on their seapass indicating they had my signature already.

RCCL requires everybody to show up in person to sign the authorization for rock climbing and ice skating, even parents traveling with their own children.

RCCL requires everybody to show up in person to sign the authorization for rock climbing and ice skating, even parents traveling with their own children.
I

I know. I guess I was surprised in that the letter said, (child's name) has my permission to participate in all onboard activities (rock climbing, ice skating, online skating and any other) and then it was signed by their parents and notarized. I would have thought that would have sufficed but the guy said no, an adult had to be there so someone could physically ensure an adult could be reached. I wasn't really questioning that they could or couldn't just that a notary signed by their parents said they gave permission for them to do so, yet that didn't matter - all they wanted was a physical body to sign for responsiblity for them even tho I wasn't their parent.

We just took our grandson on the Mariner. I was asked for a notarized letter by RCi (which we had) that gave permission for him to go out of the country, receive medical attention, etc. This was signed by our son and notarized. They made a copy of our letter for their files at the Port Canaveral check-in. We had his passport also. That was another situation altogether. My son never married the boys' mother, so he had to get affadavits that said the mother could not be reached for passport permission. There is a "special conditions" form for this, in addition to the minor passport form at the US Gov. website.

RCI was very appreciative that we had our documents in order. They were grumbling about the shoddy forms others had produced ( no date, no signatures, no notarizations, etc. )

I had been worried for months before the cruise - until we finally got our GS's passport. The passport paves the way for about 90% of your travel worries. No one even questioned it - not the airlines, not INS, not one port of call. BUT - be prepared for RCI to ask if you have parental permission and be prepared to show proper documentatin.

Hi

Most large companies have notaries - ask where you work. What about your bank? Many banks, credit unions and financial institutions have someone on-staff who is a notary. At least in our community here in Texas.

As far back as 1988 we took my niece and her girlfriend (both 17) to Hawaii. At that time we were only thinking about getting permission for medical attention. We got a letter signed by their parents authorizing us to seek medical attention if something should happen and they provided their appropiate insurance information. No notary was required because people trusted each other back then. When you think about all the forms you sign for doctors offices, how many of them are notarized? This is getting a little out of control. After all a notary does not know who the parents are, they only know that the person signed the document. I could say I was the your childrens parents and sign the document in front of a notary. I making a false statement, but he does not know.

As far back as 1988 we took my niece and her girlfriend (both 17) to Hawaii. At that time we were only thinking about getting permission for medical attention. We got a letter signed by their parents authorizing us to seek medical attention if something should happen and they provided their appropiate insurance information. No notary was required because people trusted each other back then. When you think about all the forms you sign for doctors offices, how many of them are notarized? This is getting a little out of control. After all a notary does not know who the parents are, they only know that the person signed the document. I could say I was the your childrens parents and sign the document in front of a notary. I making a false statement, but he does not know.
Good point. However, I am pretty sure my son had to show my GS's birth certificate and his passport when having the travel document notarized. In addition, he had to show his own ID (driver's license).

We even brought our GS's birth certificate to show that the person signing the tavel permission was indeed the father (our son) as listed on the birth certificate.

Anyway, it was what RCI wanted to see and we were not delayed in boarding. That is what mattered to us. A lot has chaged in travelling abroad in the last 30 years, especially since 9/11/2001. Even in the last year. We booked our last cruise in Sept. 2007 (for Aug. 2008) and were waiting for our GS to turn 14 in May to get his passport with only his father's permission. About Feb of this year the law changed to age 16, so we were out of luck. The "special conditions" affadavit was what we had to implement to get our GS a passport.

Unfortunately, trusting people on there "say-so" and a "handshake" are a thing of the past in today's legal environment.

PS Your signature for medical care at your doctor's office does not require a notary, usually just a witness for surgical consents, etc. (I am an RN)

Things got a little off topic - I see you are in Scotland. I looked it up - in Scotland notaries are always lawyers (solicitors) - not in banks and stuff like here in the US where they are everywhere.

The Law Society of Scotland regulates notaries. Contact them and ask for a solicitor near you who is a notary and who does this type of work.

Edinburgh Office

26 Drumsheugh Gardens

Edinburgh EH3 7YR

telephone: +44 (0) 131 226 7411

textphone: +44 (0) 131 476 8359

fax:+44 (0) 131 225 2934

email: Edinburgh Office

legal post: LP1 - EDINBURGH 1

office hours: 09.00 - 17.00, Monday to Friday

Client Relations Office

26 Drumsheugh Gardens

Edinburgh EH3 7YR

telephone: +44 0845 1130018

textphone: +44 (0) 131 476 8359

fax: +44 (0) 131 225 2934

office hours: 09.00 - 17.00, Monday to Friday

email: Client Relations Office

legal post: LP1 - EDINBURGH 1

Hi

Perhaps its my pediatric intensive care background Or me just being anal???

but anytime I go on a trip without my children or they go on a trip without us, (where ever they go), I always have a notarized consent form and also ask for one from parents, if their child is traveling with us.

It helps so much in case of an accident, with hospitals, insurance etc.....

Also have a copy of their insurance card.

I am a custody dad (It's joint but he lives full time with me) and I just got back from Enchantment last night and it was just DS (He's 8) and myself going to Key West and Cozumel and were Never asked by anyone for the letter which I did have as well as a copy of the court order that shows he lives with me. I though for sure that a Single Dad going to Mexico with an 8 year old would send a flag up to check me But as I said..That did not happen ?? I really think this is a random checked thing..:)

When our nephews were minors, we traveled with them a lot on both land vacations and a cruise. My brother and ex-SIL were divorced. We always took notarized letters from both of them giving us permission to take the boys out of the country and also authorizing us to seek medical attention if necessary. We were asked for the letters by RCI and by immigration on both the cruise and the land vacations. We did eventually get them passports, but we still had to show the letters. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I am a custody dad (It's joint but he lives full time with me) and I just got back from Enchantment last night and it was just DS (He's 8) and myself going to Key West and Cozumel and were Never asked by anyone for the letter which I did have as well as a copy of the court order that shows he lives with me. I though for sure that a Single Dad going to Mexico with an 8 year old would send a flag up to check me But as I said..That did not happen ?? I really think this is a random checked thing..:)

It is probably a random thing, but I think that a lot of checks are made before you even arrive at check in, that's why USCIS, want the manifests prior to sailing.

Hi

We are also from the UK and occassionally have the need to have certain professional documents notarised. Simply look in Yellow Pages or such like and ask how much they will charge. They do not need to understand the actual form, they are notarising that you are who you say you are (you generally need to take the necessary legal documents to prove this, but they will advise you in advance).

It will save time and money however if you already have the documents drawn up yourselves, which they simply have to notarise.

You will all need to attend the solicitors, but it should be a 10 minute visit and cost approx £20.00

My boys travelled to Canada earlier this year without us and whilst the document did not need to be notarised, I did have one drawn up. If you email me on lynda at trinitysquare dot co dot uk I can send you a blank copy. They took with them the folllowing:-

Letter authorising them to travel alone stating where they were staying

Medial authorisation form giving my SIL authoritiy to make decisions

Copy of their birth certificates and their parents passports

When our nephews were minors, we traveled with them a lot on both land vacations and a cruise. My brother and ex-SIL were divorced. We always took notarized letters from both of them giving us permission to take the boys out of the country and also authorizing us to seek medical attention if necessary. We were asked for the letters by RCI and by immigration on both the cruise and the land vacations. We did eventually get them passports, but we still had to show the letters. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A family friend and her 12 y.o. grand daughter took a cruise with us which originated in San Juan. When we flew from N.Y. it was necessary for the GM to produce notarized letters from both of the child's parents along with the 2 passports. The same was necessary when boarding the ship. The GM was well prepared (letters notarized by notary public for a under $25), and all went well!

Hi

Yes I was asked for this when we cruised with our grandchildren. Not on embarkation in Miami where you would expect it and have the letter readily available. Oh no. They waited until we returned and it was packed away in our checked luggage. We had quite a time with Customs and Immigration on our return. :(

Here's a link to the form we used. Although it's Canadian, you can adapt it for your purposes. We used it for our American grandchildren without a problem. http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/child-travel-consent/index.php?&a=t

2P.P1

I'm a notary public, and this is a huge misconception that I get. Fortunately and unfortunately, I'm only there to verify that you are who you say you are, and that you signed a legal document in my presence. A notary does not verify the authenticity of the document you are signing, only the signature you put on it. That places all legal ramifications on the person being notarized if they are not being truthful about what they are signing their name to.

In fact, some counties are now requiring that a notary keep a (government issued) photo ID journal of everyone they verify. That makes it easier for a person to be found and caught if the statements they made on a legal document were false, as would be the case in the hypothetical situation you described above.

I've seen links posted on this board to a suitable document for your purpose. Someone will probably post one soon. I was in the same situation back in January because I was taking a 20 year old friend of my daughter's with us on a cruise. At the time we booked the cruise, Royal insisted we have the proper document. We went ahead and did the notary thing and had the doc, but no one ever asked for it. However, I've read here that if you have a medical issue, or even get back from an excursion late and miss the ship, you might have problems being in a foreign country without that doc. Even though you might not be asked to present the doc, it's probably a good idea to have it.

Why would you need a permission document for a 20 year old? 20 y/o are NOT minor children, they are legally adults. They can marry, sign contracts, vote, join the military, etc. They can fly overseas all by themselves without the need for any parental permission. The only thing they cannot do at that age in the US is buy alcohol.

I ALWAYS get my ex-husband to sign a notorized letter giving me permission to take our son out of the country. I would most definitely do this if you are the grandparent. As other posters have said, make sure that it the parents are divorced that you have permission from both the mother and father and also that you may obtain any necessary medical treatment etc.

I have never been asked for this document from RCI, but have been asked for it while crossing the US / Canadian border. Better safe than sorry, I say.

You can usually get a notary to witness for you at your bank free of charge. I would contact them about this service asap.

Archived