Do I need to get advance tickets for the Boston Duck Tour?

cruisinQ

We were in Boston on a Friday, and I was advised the previous Tuesday to buy tickets online and I'm glad I did. By then, the Prudential Center morning and early afternoon slots were all full, and there were many tours leaving the Museum of Science that were also full. I would seriously think about booking online before you go, but you can try to wait until a day or two before you leave.

We loved the duck tour and I recommend it highly. They let all the kids on board "drive" the boat in the river, which was lots of fun.

I looked into it a couple of months ago. I called and spoke to a very nice, young-sounding and perky girl who told me that it's always a good idea to buy tickets as soon as possible because they do get filled up, particularly in the most popular time slots.

I would guess a lot depends on when you are going to be in Boston. If you are going mid-week, maybe it will be easier to get tickets. If you are like me, and are going to be there Friday of Labor Day weekend, maybe they will be booked up.

Why does everyone do this tour from the Prudential Center? Try the Museum of Science for something different. I think it's a nicer spot and far less touristy. Plus, it's a great museum, you can peruse Beacon Hill or the Charles River Esplanade after, then make your way through the Public Garden to the Back Bay.

From the Esplanade, you're also near the red line (Charles/MGH stop) to get you back to South Station and the Silver Line to the cruise ship.

From the cruise terminal, take the Silver Line to South Station Red Line. Inbound to Park St (2 stops), change to Green Line (Lechmere train--E line) and get out at Science Park (3 stops). Of if you want a nice walk along the river, take the red line to Charles/MGH and follow the river to the science museum.

Check www.mbta.com to help plan your trip.

Archived