Potential new-comer has questions

dvrdude

I hope you'll be successful in arranging an introduction to Seabourn - and that your wife will be won over (hard to imagine how anyone wouldn't be). She does enjoy the finer things in life, I hope? And the feeling of being pampered?

Our first-ever two cruises were on Silversea (wonderful!!). Our third was on Seabourn (wonderful!!). Earlier this year, we did a Mexican Riviera cruise on Holland's Ryndam. (so-so, truly just so-so). To be honest, I now regret we spent the money we did with Holland (and the $500 extra in on-board charges, even sipping frugally!)....It could've been so much more well-spent if put towards another extraordinary experience on Silversea or Seabourn.

You don't mention your ages - and it really doesn't matter, I guess. But our first three cruises took place within about a 16-month period and to be quite honest, affording them could be said to have been something of a stretch. This year, my 80+ y.o. spouse has had some serious health issues. It's doubtful that we'll be able to plan another oceanic adventure, but I am so grateful and happy that we DID splurge as we did. Memories truly can be priceless. So I hope you can start making some wonderful new ones in one of the very best settings: Seabourn.

One of the nicest things about Seabourn is that you pay up front and then once on board you don't have to worry about signing chits all the time so you really can sit back and enjoy knowing that at the end of the trip you don't have to start figuring out tips and face the shock of your shipboard account.

Honestly, that's a big part of my desire to go high end. Being presented with the on-board charge talley the last night of a cruise is never pleasant for us. We're not over the top partiers or anything, but we ARE on vacation when we cruise, and after 10 days of chit signing without giving it a second thought the aftermath can be staggering. :eek: On a separate note (I know this is the wrong board), does anyone have any experience with SeaDream? I just got some offers via e-mail that look quite reasonable. Thanks

Yep. DW and I have done both SeaDream and Seabourn. They are conceptually similar but there are differences. I will summarize:

Food quality is comparable, but for variety SB get the edge because you have a bigger venue choice.

At-sea days. SD gets the edge strictly because the Balinese beds are SO FANTASTIC. The atmosphere is relaxed and it is much more private and personal than the poolside on SB.

Spa services are a wash, very similar in terms of quality.

Staff quality is a wash. Staff on both lines is superb.

"Beach Day" SB does it better in terms of quality and selection, but SD was nothing to sneeze at.

Cabins. I actually kind of like to have the bed by the window the way SD does it, but SB has the option of the french balcony (until the new ships arrive). Pretty much a wash on size, bedding, furnishings, etc.

Passengers. Very similar demographics, almost always friendly and interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed our fellow passengers on both lines. SB goes a little more out of their way to promote mingling with table invites, etc.

Entertainment. SB has enrichment programs and some entertainment. SD you are pretty much left to make your own fun except for on deck movies and sometimes some music. This is a personal thing but if you want to gather for entertainment and lectures then SB is the way to go.

Really you won't go wrong in either case. We pretty much choose based on itinerary and availability.

I got so excited reading this thread that I sent an email to Seabourn about availability on a cruise and they booked us.

Now, for some questions. What is the marina like? Is there a sea salt pool?

How many folks go on excursions? We are looking at (booked, I guess) on a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale--any advice? We end up in Costa Rica and that seems a bit strange--thoughts?

thanks Josephone

I got so excited reading this thread that I sent an email to Seabourn about availability on a cruise and they booked us.

Now, for some questions. What is the marina like? Is there a sea salt pool?

How many folks go on excursions? We are looking at (booked, I guess) on a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale--any advice? We end up in Costa Rica and that seems a bit strange--thoughts?

thanks Josephone

You will love it! My advice is don't try to make your flight arrangements yourself. Get a GOOD travel agent (ask friends or online for a local agent that they like), preferably one with a 24 hour support number. Go down the day before and relax in a nice hotel or at the Boca club, and then proceed to the port a while after the earliest boarding time (the waits are never long for SB but if you go a couple hours later you will just stroll on and get your ID etc with a minimum of fuss). Other than that just enjoy !!!

The pool is tiny and in an odd spot, on the way to the Veranda restaurant. I am not sure if it's filled with sea water or not, and have only seen 2 people use it during my >150 sailing days.

However, the wonderful spa on the forward of Deck 5 is delightful.

Archived