Tea?

lawyerrose

I'm not familiar with Celebrity, but am considering it. I need to know, though, if Celebrity serves afternoon tea (you know, with the sandwiches, scones and pastries)? I've heard that RCI does not.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rose

I'm not familiar with Celebrity, but am considering it. I need to know, though, if Celebrity serves afternoon tea (you know, with the sandwiches, scones and pastries)? I've heard that RCI does not.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rose

On my Century cruise they did, but not every day. I think there was one formal tea for Captain Club members and one open to everybody. It was served in the main dining room complete with pastries, mini sandwhiches etc.

They serve afternoon (help yourself) tea ( little sandwiches, biscuits etc) , and also some fancy stuff (like cheesecake which is served to your plate by a member of staff ) usually between 4 and 5 pm..tea is available from the self service "make your own" machines in the buffet area.

A more formal afternoon tea is a one-of event per cruise in the main dining room ..with a general invitation ship wide to anyone who wishes to go.

The other "special" afternoon tea for selected cruisers ( loyalty rewarded and others) by specific invitation happens in the specialty restaurant.... again once per cruise.

Hope this helps.

They serve afternoon (help yourself) tea ( little sandwiches, biscuits etc) , and also some fancy stuff (like cheesecake which is served to your plate by a member of staff ) usually between 4 and 5 pm..tea is available from the self service "make your own" machines in the buffet area.

A more formal afternoon tea is a one-of event per cruise in the main dining room ..with a general invitation ship wide to anyone who wishes to go.

The other "special" afternoon tea for selected cruisers ( loyalty rewarded and others) by specific invitation happens in the specialty restaurant.... again once per cruise.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information. :)

The Jacket related to the past "informal" dress code which was, but is no longer, one of the evening dress codes. With its elimination jackets are no longer required, other than formal night, they couldn't require jackets at the elegant tea.

On our recent Millennium Class cruises they've had one or two "Elegant Teas" each cruise - served at tables with formally dressed waiters. If two, then one was invitation only and held in the Specialty restaurant - principally for Select and Elite Captains club (5 or more cruises) but I've heard of others being invited based on space availability and there has always been lots of room. They will be on a sea day at between 3 and 4 so watch the daily schedules. If you are a fan of such Teas then I'd let the Asst. Maitre D' for your table in the dining room, or Maitre d' or head waiter in the specialty restaurant, know of your like and ask when the teas will be held and if it is possible to get an invitation. I suspect they would be more than happy to oblige.

If you have a suite they serve a proper tea to your cabin every day around 4. They do not bring scones but we asked about that and they brought a bunch, along with a nice cream sauce (not quite clotted cream but very nice) and a strawberry sauce.

As one poster indicated they do have a nice snack layout every afternoon in the buffet which is labeled a "tea". They do have a nice selection of pastries and tea sandwiches, can't recall if they have scones or not.

Elegant Tea on the Summit in the Dining Room:

66291805_gNsAE-S.jpg

Elegant Tea in the Millennium Specialty Restuarant:

203404372_29YtH-S.jpg

They have never offered scones in the buffet area afternoon tea that we know of and we regularly attend afternoon tea there most days on every cruise.They are only served (in our experience) at the general more formal afternoon tea which is the ship wide general invitation held in the main dining room, and also at the Specialty restaurant afternoon tea which is by specific invitation only ( for PAX deemed worthy of invite) which requires a "RSVP" response to the Social host/ess confirming your attendance on the day you have been invited to attend....

With regard to the "jacket wearing requirement " that used to be expected in the Specialty restaurant at this event, on our last trip but one, my DH was the only one of the 4 men seated at our table in this Specialty restaurant "afternoon tea by invitation only" who actually wore a jacket despite it being the requested level of wear at that time !

The other men all wore T shirts ( admittedly clean!) which we felt did not match the surroundings or the service offered.Perhaps they should have been refused entry, to challenge the dress code they showed up in.

However these boards are regularly full of comments from those who admit they believe "we've paid to be on the ship so we'll dress as we see fit " and go ahead totally ignoring the dress standards /recommendations which try to preserve the ambiance of a cruise .

Blatantly ignoring a special invitation to attend a function without wearing requested appropriate standards of dress would be considered unacceptable in other situations.

However it will be interesting to see next trip what is expected now....although my DH still feels he should wear a jacket to be properly dressed !

Our memory of these guys contrasted vividly with your nice photo of the people enjoying the special afternoon tea .

BTW Cunard's QM2 serves scones every day in the Queen's room as part of the service during their very nice afternoon tea ...."British" style......(presumably as does the QV and the QE 2) .

Archived