Legal Ceremony

I am just curious..........How many of you got married in your home town before your destination wedding? I was just wondering about this just in case for some reason the ship didn't stop in the port that the FH and I are planning on getting married in. Also how far in advance would you have to get married to get your name change on all of your documents before the cruise? I just wasn't sure and thought that I would try the question out there.

We got married on embarkation day, so we didn't worry about getting married before. It will take at least 2 weeks to get your new passport once you get the marriage license - I think SSA takes about the same amount of time, but I'm not sure. In TN, the driver's license was the same day, but I know some states still mail you the card later. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to get all of the name changes done before the cruise.

I wouldn't worry about changing your name on everything before the cruise. I would just get married a few days/weeks before the cruise and wait to change your name until you get back. That way, you don't have to worry about getting everything done prior to leaving, and also it will make your symbolic ceremony seem more "real" if you haven't already changed your name. We were always plannign on getting married a few days before leaving, but when my FI lost his job in May, we had to get legally married then. Only my mother knows that we are legally married, and I am not changing my name until after the ceremony, even though it will be 11 months after our legal marriage. So, there is no rush to have to change your name as soon as you get legally married.

I traveled under my previous name because we got married mid-cruise. :) Otherwise even then, I would have just waited until we got home. It takes some time to get everything switched over. Here in Iowa, the DOT is same day. The SSA and Passport Agency took about 2 weeks each.

Also another thing to keep in mind is your credit cards/bank cards/bank account and how long it would take to have them switched. It's hard to use a card with a different name on it than your ID shows in the event you get ID-ed using it.

Archived