Accident onboard

tranquility

I fell while walking up the stairs around the pool on a Princess Cruise. I hurt both my knees and they were bleeding and bruised. It never even crossed my mind that it was the ship's fault. I just felt embarrassed and stupid and walked around the rest of the cruise like a little kid with two scabs on my knees. :D

My husband had to be evacuated by helicopter off of Carnival Miracle in 2006. Carnival was marvelous! A nurse accompanied him; at the last minute, there was space for me, so Carnival packed our luggage after our departure- even including pictures I had ordered but not picked up. Their medical division in Miami called several times to check on his progress-calling both the hospital and later our home. I forgot to get a copy of the bill before exiting (via basket) into the helicopter, so when I wrote for one, they promptly provided it, and our heallth insurance covered onboard medical expenses. Luckily, the Coast Guard does not bill for their services.

You would not believe the amount of paperwork that has to be provided if someone arrives back in the US that way: a roster of everyone on the ship, proper immigration forms for the nurse, etc., etc., etc. When Homeland Security showed up at the hospital about an hour after we landed, I had to provide them with all sorts of paperworkthat Carnival had provided to me in a well-organized packet.

Luckily, after months of recovery, we were able to cruise to Alaska last year and are planning a November cruise to the Southern Caribbean!:)

As you dont say there was anything wrong with the stairs, Im not sure why they would fear a lawsuit?? Is there more to the story?

Medical during your cruise is just that, for emergencies during your cruise. Iv never heard of them calling to follow up?? You were looked at and released to go see your doctor at home if you wish. I dont even know why you needed papers to verify they looked at your husband, so Im obviously missing part of the story. Is this because you had cruise insurance and might need to file a insurance claim later?

Iv been on CC for a while and never heard of Carnival calling your house to check up.

PS I went to the emergency room right before Christmas, and they never called to check up on me. Gee, never even occured to me a emergency doctor would call and follow up.

Lawsuit ideas aside, it's always a good idea if you are seen by a doctor that isn't your normal doctor to get a copy of the records so that it can become part of your file. Since there was no indication that they took x-rays, the medic on the ship had no business telling the OP's husband that he would be fine. Your medical records are yours and you had every right to ask for them.

My mom had an accident on the last night of their cruise in 2002. They were in the main dining room and the ocean was a little rough. The waiter carrying the dinners on a tray tripped and all the plates, etc fell on her back. They took her to the infirmary and gave her some aspirin and said she would be ok. They went back to their room and the matre di came to check on her and wanted her to come back to the dining room. She declined. By the time she got home the pain had gotten worse and ended up going to the emergency room with a bruised back. They contacted Carnival and they said sorry. With no trip insurance, they could do nothing. They did offer 10% off their next cruise.

Your mom deserved a lot more than a 10% voucher!

Did I miss the part where the poster said you should wait for the doctor

to call if you have a problem? :rolleyes:

I was responding to the statement that when doctors/nurses call, patients can get questions answered that they might not have asked in person. I was just saying that if a patient has a question, what's stopping that person from picking up the phone to ask? My statement came off harsh, and I apologize.

but we really thought we would at least get a call or e-mail checking on him after we got home. Has anyone else had an accident onboard and did they get any follow up? We love cruising but may try another line next time.

Would your local ER perform that type of service? Would you change hospitals if they didn't?

Chromey are you ok after your fall?

Safetyal my mother had the same accident but did not make it on time(for real this happened on the Fantasy).lol

There are no follow up calls in the brand new hospital near my home either.

To the OP what would you expect the doctor or nurse to say in this follow up call anyway?

Everyone wants to retire by lawsuit these day-I was on the Freedom of theSseas this year and the guy trying to encourage people to try out the flowrider was teasing a female spectator for about 30 seconds. Luckily I had seen her and her mate conspiring behind the bleachers and found that odd. So when she came out to join the crowd and the flow rider guy picked her out to tease I video taped it and her over the top reaction. She went directly to guest relations to complain and fill out a form yelling about suing for harassment. Unfortunately for them I was right behind them with my video.lol

Well don't change to RC I tripped off the ship as we were leaving the ship on the gangway. I landed in a flower pot and on my knee on the grated floor. I held up the line really well. LOL Wheelchair was found and 7 stiches later and a $600. bill I was allowed off the ship and so was the crew. Crew can't leave until all passengers are off. Or so we were told. Well no follow up call for me either. Last year friend had blood surgar problem went to spend the day in Key West hospital via ambulance from ship we made it back to the ship in time to cruise from hospital no follow up even then. and we were on the ship!!!

Would your local ER perform that type of service? Would you change hospitals if they didn't?

Well, we have discovered here in some areas, or in some cases, they do call. As I stated earlier, we have received follow-up calls from the ER, if you are not admitted to the hospital. If we didn't receive a call this wouldn't make us change hospitals however.

. We never had a thought of a lawsuit, although I am sure that is their fear, but we really thought we would at least get a call or e-mail checking on him after we got home. .

That is their fear. They don't call because they want to minimze the situation,play it off like it was nothing. Just like your auto insurer,never admit fault.

If you want to bring suit,it must be done in Miami. Just a filing will get their attention and they will settle something real quick.It would be small,like 10% off a future,but what the heck.

Archived