Nice Shorts (men) In The Dining Room

mchlhaystead

I do not believe that any dinning facility that has singing and dancing on the tables by serving staff is "formal". Carnival has decided to change the written standards to the norm of a growing number of their guest. That is fine with me. I wear a suit 5 days a week and do not on vacation. If the dress code snobs can not handle that, they can just get over it, mind their on business and wear whatever they wish too.

Ha!!

This is the best point I have yet seen in favor of the "casual" crowd. Even for those who attempt to be a bit "spiffier" looking in everyday life (which I count myself in), how appropriate IS the elegant night dress code for a dancing-wait-staff, often VERY hot weather cruise? This is not the Queen Mary 2, which makes its whole reputation on grandeur and glitziness.

That said, I still don't appreciate those who take things to the far, far extreme of "what-can-I-get-away-with?" You only permit long pants, I'll wear shorts anyway, and see if anyone has the NERVE to take me on about it!!! You won't let me in in shorts? I'll wear SWEAT PANTS, THEN!!! bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!! I sure showed them!!!

For the record, I am actually probably one of the better dressers in my social circle, in that I like to wear the khakis-and-a-collar look when going out to any place other than a blues club (doesn't work there). I like to find what the dress code at a place is, and then AT LEAST meet it. I look a bit better, and in some cases I think it is appreciated by staff and gets a bit better service.

Jon

I love this new dress code. There will be less to pack. DH only wears short sleave shirts so 14 shirts, 3 shorts and a suit (2 dress shirts). I had to pack pants and 3 kinds of shoes.....

I'll also enjoy people watching to see the innovative oppinions of appropriateness.

Can't wait. We will be on the Liberty to bring in 2009.

Ha!!

This is the best point I have yet seen in favor of the "casual" crowd. Even for those who attempt to be a bit "spiffier" looking in everyday life (which I count myself in), how appropriate IS the elegant night dress code for a dancing-wait-staff, often VERY hot weather cruise? This is not the Queen Mary 2, which makes its whole reputation on grandeur and glitziness.

That said, I still don't appreciate those who take things to the far, far extreme of "what-can-I-get-away-with?" You only permit long pants, I'll wear shorts anyway, and see if anyone has the NERVE to take me on about it!!! You won't let me in in shorts? I'll wear SWEAT PANTS, THEN!!! bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!! I sure showed them!!!

For the record, I am actually probably one of the better dressers in my social circle, in that I like to wear the khakis-and-a-collar look when going out to any place other than a blues club (doesn't work there). I like to find what the dress code at a place is, and then AT LEAST meet it. I look a bit better, and in some cases I think it is appreciated by staff and gets a bit better service.

Jon

I would like there to be a dress code, pretty much as is - slacks on guys...and no floppers (How tacky), which I accually did see, on another cruise. When there's less and less and less and less of a dress code, you got the 'Clampetts'...c'mon, put your pants on! ;) - Don

American Heritage Dictionary - ap·pro·pri·ate // (ə-prō'prē-ĭt)

adj. Suitable for a particular person, condition, occasion, or place; fitting

SUITABLE being the key word in that definition, so it seems that American Heritage agrees with what some of us have been saying all along. Funny I don't see "allowed" anywhere in that definition, or any other ones I've found for appropriate.

American Heritage Dictiona

suit·a·ble (sōō'tə-bəl)

adj. Appropriate to a purpose or an occasion.

-al·low (ə-lou')

v. al·lowed, al·low·ing, al·lows

To let do or happen; permit

ac·cept·a·ble (āk-sěp'tə-bəl)

Worthy of being accepted.

[*]Adequate to satisfy a need, requirement, or standard; satisfactory

ad·e·quate (ād'ĭ-kwĭt)

adj. Sufficient to satisfy a requirement or meet a need.

Barely satisfactory or sufficient

el·e·gant (ěl'ĭ-gənt)

adj. Characterized by or exhibiting refined, tasteful beauty of manner, form, or style.

for·mal (fôr'məl)

adj.

Following or being in accord with accepted forms, conventions, or regulations

host 1 (hōst)

One who receives or entertains guests in a social or official capacity.

A person who manages an inn or hotel

guest (gěst)

One who is a recipient of hospitality at the home or table of another.

One to whom entertainment or hospitality has been extended by another in the role of host or hostess, as at a party.

One who pays for meals or accommodations at a restaurant, hotel, or other establishment; a patron

sug·gest (səg-jěst', sə-jěst')

To offer for consideration or action; propose

dress code

A set of rules, as in a school, indicating the approved manner of dress

Perhaps now that we have most of the key word definitions.. we can fully understand the Carnival Dress Code and interpret their true meaning.

And before you think this is 'so serious' please see the next definition

jest (jěst)

A playful or amusing act; a prank.

Joke

A frolicsome or frivolous mood: spoken in jest.

A witty remark

Archived