Freighters and smoking policies

My wife and I have done a number of small boat cruises and now want to try a freighter.

We had decided on the M.V. Polynesia, mainly because we can embark/disembark without having to be involved in air travel.

I'm a smoker (but never smoke indoors) and my wife is a non-smoker. We found out the boat has an open smoking policy and that immediately raised questions re maybe the prior occupant of the cabin was a smoker, and what about the lounge/dining room.

So, my question of the members is:

Have any of you, who are non-smokers, travelled on a freighter that had an open smoking policy and if so, what was your overall experience dealing with the smoking.

In addition, I noticed some questions on here re the Polynesia, none of which has had a reply. So I'll ask "has anyone actually done the trip on the Polynesia" ?

Thanks in advance.

My husband and I are non-smokers. On my past freighter voyage, there was no smoking in the officers mess but no sure any of them were smokers. There was smoking in the crew mess and lots of it. We did have two or three karaoke nights/parties in there. I looked at it as their turf so not my place to complain about it. Our cabin had no smoke odor nor did any of the hallways but I could smell it near the door of the cabin next to us so they must have allowed it in the cabins. I have not travelled on the Polynesia. I did do 48 days from Texas down the east coast of South America. It was actually to be 42 days but, as they say, you must be flexible when travelling by freighter. We had engine problems and fog along the way which made for several delays. The officers and crew were so kind and we continue to stay in touch with several of them. One captain was a total jerk but the second captain more than made up for the first. Leaving on another adventure in late Oct. or early Nov. depending on the ship's schedule. Gotta be flexible. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Freighterbum.

I managed to contact one person who has travelled on the Polynesia and she reported that smoking was not a problem. So we are booking a passage for early next year.

Not freighter travel, but if anyone is interested I have put up some "photo cruises" of a couple of our "small ship" cruises:

www.anzam.com/images/alaska

www.anzam.com/images/rof

www.anzam.com/images/atlantic

and one of our second favorite vacation mode:

www.anzam.com/images/ireland

Archived