Hotels in San Juan - Priceline

judyfssw

For the last two years, we've used Priceline and received really good prices in San Juan. We stayed at the Carribe Hilton the first year and the Park Plaza Normandie last year.

I've been trying for the past two weeks for rooms and the prices have gone up considerably. I'm at $129. and still haven't been accepted.

I read in the paper that Priceline and the other online sites were not getting good rates now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re Priceline. We were lucky in San Juan earlier in the year April, to pay $65 at the Raddisson and when we arrived around 7pm we were upgraded to a top floor Concierge Class style room and also recieved 2 drink vouchers.I actually thought that $65 then was high.We also paid $64.00 at the Novotel in Hammersmith in London.Even though the room was plain,I thought that it was a bargain considering the price of Sandwiches or anything in the U.K.

We paid only $44 in Lax for the Raddisson.

I paid only yesterday $64 for the Sheraton Prince Waikiki which i thought was not cheap for our up coming 21 day Mexican Cruise.

I have been trying for the last 2-3 months at $75-$85 for San Juan but no luck as of yet. I think they don't release these rooms until 3 weeks before because last Januauary we stayed at Caribe Hilton for $75 but didn't get it until a few weeks before. We had a backup hotel just in case, that we were able to cancel with 3 days notice. I am going to do the same this January.

I always thought they released them later also, but already got my room for London for next May on the first try.

Marilyn

We are doing a repaet of the Transatlantic, Constellation crossing April next year and im wondering what you managed to get on Priceline?

Regarding Priceline:

There is no such thing as excess inventory. Hotels enter into group rate contracts with Priceline on an annual basis. Sometimes there are room blocks for all days... sometimes just mid week.. sometimes just weekends.. and sometimes not all months are included. It's up to the hotel. Priceline then sells the rooms they have in their group blocks individually. That is why you cannot find rates as low as their's online or directly through the hotel. Group rates are always lower than what are called FIT (individual) rates.

Regarding winter 04-05... occupancy rates are very strong for both south Florida and Puerto Rico. Rates.. both direct and through Priceline are much higher than they've been since 9/11/01.

For San Juan, in particular, I'd make a reservation now (refundable)... and keep trying with Priceline... but don't expect those huge savings we used to see.

Archived