Residency Rates - Where Do They Apply?

Leo Jay

Just curious about what states residency discounts most often apply to. If you've ever received one, what state did you live in at the time? Thx.

Resident discounts are hard to predict, although there are some "trends":

- If availability is still high a few weeks before departure, Carnival may offer a resident discount to the state where the ship departs from (as well as neighboring states). This is done to tap into the "drive in" crowd becasue they are more likely to book a cruise last minute than those passengers needing to fly.

- Carnival may offer a resident discount months out to other states which are not close to the port of departure. Which states get the resident discount is based on Carnival's own data. Some states don't need a resident discount to attract passengers to sail so normally they don't see a resident discount. Other states do need an additional "boost" to attract passengers who normally wouldn't cruise or would select a different type of vacation.

When these resident discounts become available is a factor of availability, time of the year, and which state you live in. For example when I lived in NC, you could find resident discounts for NC, but not for GA or SC on the same exact sailing (don't know exactly why). When I lived in FL, you could count on some resident discount to become available during low season a few weeks before sailing.

Keep in mind that these are guidelines and not rules cast in stone.

Resident discounts are hard to predict, although there are some "trends":

- If availability is still high a few weeks before departure, Carnival may offer a resident discount to the state where the ship departs from (as well as neighboring states). This is done to tap into the "drive in" crowd becasue they are more likely to book a cruise last minute than those passengers needing to fly.

- Carnival may offer a resident discount months out to other states which are not close to the port of departure. Which states get the resident discount is based on Carnival's own data. Some states don't need a resident discount to attract passengers to sail so normally they don't see a resident discount. Other states do need an additional "boost" to attract passengers who normally wouldn't cruise or would select a different type of vacation.

When these resident discounts become available is a factor of availability, time of the year, and which state you live in. For example when I lived in NC, you could find resident discounts for NC, but not for GA or SC on the same exact sailing (don't know exactly why). When I lived in FL, you could count on some resident discount to become available during low season a few weeks before sailing.

Keep in mind that these are guidelines and not rules cast in stone.

Thanks for all that info. I guess as a NJ resident who generally books at least a couple of months in advance, I won't expect to ever benefit from these.

:D

Archived