Cliff walk + Breakers

CMM

We would like to do the Cliff Walk and tour the Breakers on Sept. 15.

I was thinking of taking the trolley to the start of the cliff walk, exit it and tour the Breakers, and then resume the Cliff Walk. When we were done take the trolley back to the pier.

Would we be better taking the trolley directly to the Cliff Walk and then starting the walk after Breakers? Is there much to getting on and off the walk at the Breakers? Also would we miss the best parts if we started our Cliff Walk at the Breakers rather than the beginning of the walk?

How long would the trolley take from the end of the Cliff Walk to the pier?

Thanks for any comments.

I recently answered a question just like yours at the East Coast Departure Board; Q/C = question or comment; A = my reply

.......................................................................................................................

Q/C:…..Can we get a bus near where Caribbean Princess will dock?……..

A: Newport is a tender port. Local buses/trolley can be picked up about 1 block north from the tender dock at the Newport Visitors Center.

Q/C:……..According to Cliffwalk website a short but effective walk is from Narragansett Ave to Breakers. Has anyone done this…….

A: There is a bus/trolley stop almost in front of the Breakers; no need to walk far.

Q/C:…….. has bus (RIPTA) that we could take to Narragansett Ave. one of many entrances to Cliff Walk (CW)…….

A: There are 2 buses you could take. A rte # 61 Orange Line out bound bus will to take you to the beginning of CW and from there, you can walk CW to the Forty Steps and then exit from CW and tour the Breakers and take a rte #67 Yellow Line in bound bus to get back to the tender dock.

A rte #67 Yellow Line out bound will drop you off in front of the Breakers. After the tour there, you could turn south to Ruggles Ave and use the entrance at the east end of Ruggles to enter CW. At CW, turn north to go to the Forty Steps and the beginning of CW, and take a rte # 61 Orange Line in bound bus to return to the tender dock.

A: Just so you’ll know, you can not enter any mansion from CW; you must exit CW and enter from the street in front.

A: I think you already have these but for any other paxs who are interested:

http://www.ripta.com/schedules/schedules.php

http://www.cliffwalk.com/

................................................................................................................

For you, I would suggest starting with CW first and then touring the Breakers. I would stay on CW until you pass behind the Breakers. Then leave CW at the Ruggles Ave exit. Ruggles Ave is the south border of the Breaker’s property.

According to the bus schedule, figure a 10 minute ride back to the tender dock from either end point excluding waiting time.

Make sure to read all about CW at the site provided; the exits/entrances from/to are limited, so know where to look.

SBtS

thanks for all the information. Are there maps available at the visitors center. I noticed on the link there was one you could order, but we leave in a few weeks.

Maybe the Princess will give one with the port information?

SBtS gives good info. Yes you will find maps, etc at the Visitors Center. I agree do Cliff Walk from the beginning, get off at Breakers, after Breakers, depending on time you could do more of Cliff Walk or go back to "town" on the trolley. You can also walk back along Bellevue which would take you by other mansions, Tennis Hall of Fame, and Church where JFK and Jackie were married.

Archived