Caribbean Princess Dry Dock

CruiseFreakk625

I was on the Caribbean Princess for the seond time this July and I heard that the ship was an engine down. I also spoke with people who said that they saw trucks delevering engine parts while we were in St. Thomas ( thats why I think we were in that port the longest) I also heard that the ship was going to be dry docked. I was wondering when that's supposed to happen, and if it's normal for a ship thats only four years old to have to go into dry dock. thank you.

The Caribbean Princess has been scheduled for a dry dock for some time. The first was cancelled and replaced with short caribbean sailings. I am almost certain that a ship would not sail an engine down, im sure that was repaired. The reason that the CB is supposed to be drydocked is so it can be "crowned". She is supposed to recieve upgrades such as the crown grille and the piazza style atrium to make her up to standards with the newer Grand Class ships.

CB did sail with only 5 engines.

Then, on our 8\6 sailing we hit rough seas and blew a generator.

Which was fixed immediately.

The dry dock was scheduled I think in May

(This is why I booked my cruise. Wanted to see the changes.

Unfortunately, It never happened)

They changed the dry dock date to Jan 09.

The reason for dry docking is because they want to update the CB to have all the features like her sister ship - Crown

CB did sail with only 5 engines.

Then, on our 8\6 sailing we hit rough seas and blew a generator.

Which was fixed immediately.

The dry dock was scheduled I think in May

(This is why I booked my cruise. Wanted to see the changes.

Unfortunately, It never happened)

They changed the dry dock date to Jan 09.

The reason for dry docking is because they want to update the CB to have all the features like her sister ship - Crown

How is the Crown different from the CB?

How is the Crown different from the CB?

Among the differences:

The atrium is now called the Piazza and deck 5 is all on one level. You'll find an International Cafe, open 24 hours with tasty treats available all day long. The is a lovely wine bar called Vines, the Internet Cafe is on that level as it the Future Cruise Sales desk. You will find many "street performers" and demonstrations happening there.

There is a Crown Grill - a fabulous upgrade from the Sterling Steakhouse. Sabatini has been moved to an upper deck with great views over the stern and there is a terrific lounge up there next to it called Adagio - a hidden gem as it were.

There is a Sanctuary - an adults only, for fee, "pocket of tranquility" above the Spa Pool.

The CB will have most of these "upgrades" after her dry dock in January.

Crown has more amenities

Piazza-style street cafe, International Cafe, Vines, Sanctuary, Crown Grill, and more suites.

Among the differences:

The atrium is now called the Piazza and deck 5 is all on one level. You'll find an International Cafe, open 24 hours with tasty treats available all day long. The is a lovely wine bar called Vines, the Internet Cafe is on that level as it the Future Cruise Sales desk. You will find many "street performers" and demonstrations happening there.

There is a Crown Grill - a fabulous upgrade from the Sterling Steakhouse. Sabatini has been moved to an upper deck with great views over the stern and there is a terrific lounge up there next to it called Adagio - a hidden gem as it were.

There is a Sanctuary - an adults only, for fee, "pocket of tranquility" above the Spa Pool.

The CB will have most of these "upgrades" after her dry dock in January.

Thank you both for the addditional information!

• 1 month later...
Please explain what the Sanctuary is to me. What is the fee and what does it include?

Thanks!:)

Ginny,

Here's the official word from Princess:

Sanctuary from Princess News

And here's my take from 2007:

In 2007 on the Crown it was $10 for a half day, that may have changed.

It's adults only with shady and sunny spots and the space is limited. It's very quiet and relaxing with plush loungers and chairs. There are "serenity" stewards who will look after you, it is non-smoking and you have the option to have spa treatments on deck. There is a special menu from which you can order and have it delivered to your lounger, the hot tubs are one deck down at the spa pool.

I think the best way to describe The Sanctuary is that it "surrounds" the Lotus pool area - one deck above. The entrance is directly above the steps to the Lotus pool itself and it spreads out on either side (where the loungers are in the sun) and under the dome itself.

The Sanctuary is more about peace and quite (and fabulous fat cushions on the loungers) than anything else. When we sailed there were "serenity stewards" who brought water and offered fruit, that was about the extent of the complimentary services. They have a special menu (which was great) and drinks for the Sanctuary but those will be extra. Still to us it was worth every penny

You can reserve it by the half day or full day but not in advance.

It was well worth it IMHO.

One additional note - use of the Lotus Spa pool is free and it can be accessed from outside the Sanctuary.

Thank you, Sharon. That was a big help. I'm not sure if we were use it since we only have one day at sea on this cruise. However, I will definately keep it in mind! Do you know how much they charge for the mini-massages that are mentioned (shoulder/neck in a massage chair)?

Thank you, Sharon. That was a big help. I'm not sure if we were use it since we only have one day at sea on this cruise. However, I will definately keep it in mind! Do you know how much they charge for the mini-massages that are mentioned (shoulder/neck in a massage chair)?

Ginny,

Sorry, I don't know the prices of the spa treatments (it's not my thing ;) ) in the Sanctuary but I'm guessing it's the one called Salon Sampler for $79 on the Lotus Spa Menu here.

Archived