Ostentatious of the Seas

m steve

After seeing the tags for Oasis I finally gave in and looked at it. I sure hope that there will be no way that HAL tries to copy that circus. By the way, how come they didn't include a circus with live animals and aerialists over the promenade? Too bad Billy Rose died or he could have had his Aquacade at the aft theatre pool. What's the point of the zip line? Maybe to look into the rooms facing the courtyard. As for me, 2000 passengers, balconies and a few shops are more than enough. With all those extra amusments and snack locations they could let you travel free and just $ and $$$ you everywhere.

The photos I have seen of it do look pretty cool. But I would never want to sail on it . Just too big and too much going on.

Funny you should mention Billy Rose's Aquacade though. A lady my mom goes to seniors with (now in her 90s) was an "Aquabelle" (I think thats what they called the girls in that show.)

I have no feelings one way or the other about the Oasis, but when reservations opened to Diamond members this week, RCI did not have enough phone lines to accommodate and people waited hours to book a cabin.

So......there's definitely a draw. IMO, this will be a huge hit for families, since the activities onboard cater to such.

There are, however, many RCI "loyalists" who will not sail Oasis and there's a thread dedicated to it.

Not sure why this is on the HAL board, but I replied anyway.

Everybody knocks what in my opinion is the greatest ship ever built. But I read that it has the largest first day booking of any new ship introduced. All of the Suites and JS's were sold out in the first hour of booking. If you don't want to sail on her don't.:eek:

Although I would never book a cruise on the Oasis (Monster) of the Seas I am sure she will be a success. I would be sure to do my homework when booking a HAL cruise to try avoid being in any ports at the same time as these mega ships. Can't imagine some of the Eastern Caribbean ports with 5000 more tourists wandering. I can see this affecting lines like HAL in that they will try to incorporate some of the Oasis features in order to attract more families.

Everybody knocks what in my opinion is the greatest ship ever built. But I read that it has the largest first day booking of any new ship introduced. All of the Suites and JS's were sold out in the first hour of booking. If you don't want to sail on her don't.:eek:

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad they have diverse ships for people to choose from.

But, if your criteria for 'greatest' is big, China has a container ship that's huge andcruises at over 30 knots!

With a tatoo parlor and a merry go round -- I'll pass. Actually it is so busy that they could go three miles off Miami and anchor, just like the gambling ships do.

I wonder what will happen when Customs decides that they can only spare two officers to clear this ship ? Too many people. Too big.

Only at night (Good one!);)

Hadn't seen a few of those pics before ...Thanks for posting.

Visually it does pack quite a WOW factor, I must say. I wouldn't mind walking around it and seeing it all for myself, but then immediately get off *LOL*

I wouldn't want to do a cruise on something that busy and full of people.

The pictures of Central Park must have been taken in the early stages. I didn't see any mounds of dog poop, homeless people on benches, hookers under street lamps, or chalk outlines of murder victims :)

Unless they want it to reflect the "Post Guiliani" era

After seeing the tags for Oasis I finally gave in and looked at it. I sure hope that there will be no way that HAL tries to copy that circus.

Oasis wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but I can readily understand its appeal to some people. I think with the Oasis and ships of that size, it's the ship that becomes the destination, not the ports. I talked to a friend at work who can't wait until she can cruise on it. She said her kids will be in absolute heaven. She also said that while it is big, she doubts it will feel any bigger than other ships she's been on in the past and enjoyed. It may hold 5000+ passengers, but those passengers are spread out over more square footage.

Like I said, I can't ever see myself wanting to cruise on this kind of ship, but I can well imagine lots of others going for it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

With a tatoo parlor and a merry go round -- I'll pass. Actually it is so busy that they could go three miles off Miami and anchor, just like the gambling ships do.

I wonder what will happen when Customs decides that they can only spare two officers to clear this ship ? Too many people. Too big.

I remember the CD on our Panama Canal trip claimed that with the bow of the Oasis in Ft. Lauderdale. you'd walk to the stern and be in the Bahamas :eek: ;)

Archived