Will most snorkeling excursions offer prescription masks?

mikeerdas

Still considering whether or not I ought to buy a prescription snorkel mask for an upcoming cruise (and to use for future cruises).

If I don't buy my own, is it safe to assume that most excursion operators in the eastern Caribbean will have prescription masks? I never even thought it was possible that your typical rental place would offer prescription masks until I snorkeled (1st time) on a beach in Kona. Just found a rental shop directly on the beach, and the guy eye-balled my glasses and whatever he gave me did the job. The same mask worked for my wife. We both wear glasses and wanted to experiment with the one mask to see if it was worthwhile. It was.

But I don't want to pay for a snorkel excursion and not be able to get something magnified. Also don't want to pay USD ~$300 for a snorkel mask. I'm not that committed yet.

Dumb question perhaps, but is a good snorkel mask the same as a scuba mask? If I could invest once, and then re-use if I ever got scuba certified, it seems like it could be a good deal. Unless my vision changed significantly in the next several years.

I've been following this thread on purchasing in a dive shop vs. online:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=823227

Any other comments?

Thanks.

Mike

My DH wears very strong glasses, and we have been on several snorkel excursions. No one has ever offered him a "prescription" mask before, and I would have never thought they'd be available. It just so happens that just yesterday, we went to a dive shop and ordered him a mask with his Dr's prescription lenses. The prescription lens was $153 + tax, and they will put it in the mask you have or you can buy a new mask. We chose to buy a new, better mask for this, which cost $68 just for the mask. The snorkel was extra, but I don't remember how much it was. You can buy much cheaper mask & snorkel kits at sporting goods stores, which we have done. But like anything else, you will have to pay more for quality. I suspect that the $68 mask is on the lower end of the "quality" silicon snorkel/scuba masks, but I'm sure someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong! And yes, the dive store owner told us that you will use the same mask for snorkel or scuba.

No..... I can 99.9% guarantee you will not be offered prescription masks to snorkel with. They are too expensive and each lens prescription is different. It's way too costly for tour operators. So if you need prescription lenses, I recommend you buy them yourself as an investment.

Still considering whether or not I ought to buy a prescription snorkel mask for an upcoming cruise (and to use for future cruises).
I think you should buy your own mask. That way you'll get the exact prescription you need in a mask that you know will fit your face.

BUT, if you don't need a strong prescription, you can possibly get buy with inserts for a regular mask, something like These You'd still want to buy your own mask for the best fit.

Wouldn't it be disappointing to make that assumption and find out it wasn't correct?

Dumb question perhaps, but is a good snorkel mask the same as a scuba mask? If I could invest once, and then re-use if I ever got scuba certified, it seems like it could be a good deal. Unless my vision changed significantly in the next several years.
Not a dumb question. The same good fitting mask used for snorkeling would work equally well scuba diving.

I've been following this thread on purchasing in a dive shop vs. online:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=823227

For buying a mask, where fit is the most important feature, getting to try it on before buying seems like it would be a no-brainer for you to go to the Local Dive Shop. Still, if you don't have a LDS, I recommend http://www.scubatoys.com for an online purchase. They are actually a larger texas dive shop that also sells online. They know the products they sell and they provide excellent customer service. If you do buy from them, and the mask doesn't fit, they'll make it right.

I bought This Mask from them because I knew what I wanted. I notice that they also sell prescription lenses for this mask for $36.50 each. That would make the total around $135 for the mask with prescription lenses. Of course, that is only a good deal if the mask fits you. I suggest giving them a call.

I finally broke down and purchased my own prescription mask this year.

Almost none of the tour operators have them.

It is WELL worth the money. I spent about $85 at Sport Chalet and was able to try it on before I bought it to make sure the seal 'fit' my face.

Thanks CE.

Also wondered--we're cruising the eastern carrib. during hurricane season (late sept to early oct). Are conditions likely to be too turbulent in the water to bother going snorkeling at all? Or is it just luck of the draw? Short of a hurricane going right through a port, can waters be stirred up by a hurricane elsewhere?

I wish I knew!

We were in Jamaica one year in June, and even though the weather was nice, the seas were too churned up to dive.

I'm glued to my computer, watching the live feed from WWL Tv out of New Orleans (one of my favorite places on Earth).

It seems to be an active storm year, so far. Hopefully (not to be selfish), the season will peter out before it's time for us to sail.

To answer your original question with a guess, I imagine if you are snorkling in a semi protected area, you'd be OK.

The last 3 masks I've had are TUSA 2 lens models and all used the same "prescription" lenses. The lenses come in various strengths, +- diopters, etc. I have found the mask on sale in the $35. range. Plus lenses, of course. Can't recall the model #.

They are analagous to drug store reading glasses.

They work great in the water and I have also paid the big bucks for my prescription ground into the mask and also add on glued in prescription lenses. I am quite nearsighted and this works for me, but; one needs to go to a store that has the mask and lenses and try the various diopters for each eye. It could be though, that one could find drugstore glasses marked in diopters and order what works.

The last 3 masks I've had are TUSA 2 lens models and all used the same "prescription" lenses. The lenses come in various strengths, +- diopters, etc. I have found the mask on sale in the $35. range. Plus lenses, of course.

They are analagous to drug store reading glasses.

Since I only use it a few times a year, it was perfect for me!

Actually I went diving 3 days after a port had been hit by a hurricane (a level 1) and had the best vis ever in that port. The locals said that a hurricane pushes up clear, deep water to shore and sucks of the sand ladden water off with it. As long as you're diving/snorkeling the side the hurricane came from you'd be fine (if you're on the other side, you'll be swimming in sand). :D

r

Thanks CE.

Also wondered--we're cruising the eastern carrib. during hurricane season (late sept to early oct). Are conditions likely to be too turbulent in the water to bother going snorkeling at all? Or is it just luck of the draw? Short of a hurricane going right through a port, can waters be stirred up by a hurricane elsewhere?

Just curious since I wear prescription bifocals and when we go snorkeling In Bonaire next winter it will be the first time for me and not knowing how I ll react to it I didnt want to invest in prescription mask so the big question is how much will i miss just having a regular mask--without my glasses i can read but the further away things are blurry

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am copy-pasting all the great info I've been giving, looking stuff up online, and may head out to a dive shop today (weather permitting...) to see what the local stores can do--would prefer buying local if they can price-match.

Can anyone recommend a good dive shop in the Raleigh, NC area? I've heard Gypsy Divers is good.

I'll look seriously at the TUSA models. Anyone else have affordable favorite makes/models from Snorkel-Mart or elsewhere? Going to print out some model info / prices and go to a dive shop and see what they can do for me.

Update:

Update--didn't see any TUSA models at snorkelmart. When I clicked on Prescription Masks, I got this:

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=28

Spirit 2

Freediver

Sea-Rex

The custom ground lenses just seem to durn expensive. And quite frankly, when I was snorkeling in Kona, I rented a generic prescription mask, where the rental guy on the beach eye-balled my diopter from looking at my glasses, and the mask worked great! Guessing an exact prescription mostly helps for people with exceptionally bad eyesight? Or people who take diving and snorkeling *verrrry* seriously as a hobby (great hobby--hope to graduate from snorkeling to getting dive certified some day).

My wife and I have different prescriptions--I'm -5 Sph and she's -2.25 Sph--if that's what a diopter is. We shared the same mask (first time snorkeling, so we figured get the one prescription mask and try it out), so I guess we'd be fine with "in-stock" diopters.

Snorkel-mart says "factory direct pricing"--does this mean I can, or cannot, find masks offered by snorkel-mart at local dive shops? (in which case I can forget about price matching).

Also wondering what the difference is between a "purge" snorkel, a "semi-dry" snorkel, and an "ultra-dry" snorkel. Snorkel-mart seems to offer some nice rx mask / snorkel combos.

Not sure what to do about fins... any advice? How is snorkeling without fins? My wife claims she doesn't like fins. And fins would take up precious luggage space considering we only travel with what we can stuff in an overhead plane compartment and one stuffed hand-held carry-on day pack.

Also wondering what the difference is between a "purge" snorkel, a "semi-dry" snorkel, and an "ultra-dry" snorkel. Snorkel-mart seems to offer some nice rx mask / snorkel combos.

Not sure what to do about fins... any advice? How is snorkeling without fins? My wife claims she doesn't like fins. And fins would take up precious luggage space considering we only travel with what we can stuff in an overhead plane compartment and one stuffed hand-held carry-on day pack.

A purge snorkel has a rubber valve at the bottom to blow out excess water... the water doesn't have to travel to the top of the tube to escape.

A semi dry snorkel usual has the top shielded on one side, so water can't get in so easily from the top if the water is rough... but you will still have to 'purge' if you go underwater.

A dry snorkel has a 'ball' device at the top, which should stop water coming in when you go underwater.

I personally use a youths dry snorkel... smaller women are often better with a good youth snorkel... mens ones tend to have bigger mouthpieces, that can be uncomfortable, or leak.

FINS.... a good snorkel center should be able to provide fins. I wouldn't recommend snorkelling without fins, because they may be a current....Also, the tendency, without fins, is to swim using arms.... frightening the fish away.

I would be wary of buying a mask online...a mask has to fit the face well, or it will leak.

Thanks MamaSue.

I'm not sure there's much to be wary of with buying a mask online. I went to a local dive shop and tried a mask on--the only one in the store that could take prescription lenses. Fit just fine, and so did a mask I rented on a beach in Kona. The guy in the local dive shop said the basic design for the particular mask I tried on hadn't changed in 20+ years.

The price for the mask was about the same as a similar mask at ScubaToys (online shop). But Snorkel-mart has them both beat. For about the same price, I can get the best (in-stock diopter) prescription mask they sell, plus a good dry snorkel thrown in as a package deal, for about $10 cheaper the mask-only price of the other guys.

The guy at the dive shop told me all you need to do is put the mask to your face, covering the nose, and breath in through your nose. If it sticks, it's a good fit / seal.

If Snorkel-mart has a good return policy, no problem and I'm set. Or I may buy the one at the local dive shop, suck it up, and pay the extra money for the snorkel. The models weren't the same, so I didn't ask about price matching.

Several CCers have mentioned Snorkel-mart. No one, so far, has reported any problems--not that no one's had any.

Can anyone here certify that, yes, they bought a mask online and it *didn't* fit properly? Or is this just a suspicion? And if so, was that also the case for masks in local dive shops? Having to try on several designs before getting the right fit? As someone else mentioned, I don't think many dive shops stock tons of different models of masks, do they?

In case anyone was curious--I was--the prescription masks sold by snorkel-mart.com are evidently manufactured by Deep Blue Gear:

http://www.deepbluegear.com/

I saw a mention of the Deep Blue Gear brand on Snorkel-Mart's return page:

http://snorkel-mart.com/returns.cfm

Also, has anyone here ordered masks from LeisurePro.com? I think I found the same mask I tried on at the local dive shop for less than half the price. Looks like the local dive shop is selling the mask at list price. I'd be embarrassed to ask for a price-match because it seems they're overcharging so much. Unless LeisurePro.com is unreliable, like some of those unreputable NYC camera shops with online stores that list too-good-to-be-true prices; then try to upsell you, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I can't believe how cheap the prescription masks are out in the US!!

Here it Britain they are mega bucks!!

I will be in Port canaveral 2 days before we cruise. Does anyone know if there is anyway in PC that could sort out a prescription mask for me?

Your help would be much appreciated. Regards Debz xxxx

Thanks MamaSue.

I'm not sure there's much to be wary of with buying a mask online. I went to a local dive shop and tried a mask on--the only one in the store that could take prescription lenses. Fit just fine, and so did a mask I rented on a beach in Kona. The guy in the local dive shop said the basic design for the particular mask I tried on hadn't changed in 20+ years.

The price for the mask was about the same as a similar mask at ScubaToys (online shop). But Snorkel-mart has them both beat. For about the same price, I can get the best (in-stock diopter) prescription mask they sell, plus a good dry snorkel thrown in as a package deal, for about $10 cheaper the mask-only price of the other guys.

The guy at the dive shop told me all you need to do is put the mask to your face, covering the nose, and breath in through your nose. If it sticks, it's a good fit / seal.

If Snorkel-mart has a good return policy, no problem and I'm set. Or I may buy the one at the local dive shop, suck it up, and pay the extra money for the snorkel. The models weren't the same, so I didn't ask about price matching.

Several CCers have mentioned Snorkel-mart. No one, so far, has reported any problems--not that no one's had any.

Can anyone here certify that, yes, they bought a mask online and it *didn't* fit properly? Or is this just a suspicion? And if so, was that also the case for masks in local dive shops? Having to try on several designs before getting the right fit? As someone else mentioned, I don't think many dive shops stock tons of different models of masks, do they?

We bought stock prescription masks from SnorkelMart last year, my husband and I. He has a mustache & beard and the guy on the phone recommended getting a purge-valve for him. Either he doesn't know how to use it or his mask leaks because he kept getting water in his. We'll have to figure out how to use it before our upcoming cruise.

One thing that nobody has mentioned which may be obvious but wasn't to me. DH & I are both VERY nearsighted. I mean VERY. Once I took off & stowed my glasses in order to put on my mask, I was kind of stuck either in my mask or digging for my glasses again as soon as I got back on the boat to go to our next stop. On a moving boat. . . not so easy. And while the stock prescription was fine for underwater, it wasn't so good in the air. I found it a little nauseating, not to mention just how strange I looked in a mask in the boat. So just recognize that it's not going to be as easy for you as it will be for someone who just pulls on or pulls off their mask and they're all ready to go.

But having said that: having even the imperfect vision correction made all the difference in the world in enjoying our snorkeling.

The only glitch I've noticed with my Snorkel-mart mask so far--a Spirit II--is that the nose piece is rubber rather than hard plastic. The mask I tried on at a dive shop had a hard plastic nose piece (a Genesis). Hoping the soft rubber nose piece doesn't mean the mask will be a lot less durable, but that's how it seems.

Going to try out my gear at CocoCay tomorrow, weather permitting. Only bummer is that I'll be required to wear, and rent since I don't own, a vest.

Archived