Sailing Tomorrow (8-24-08) on the Pride!

Hunding

Wish I was but...

...keep an eye on Tropical Depression Eleven-E over at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov. Yeah, I know, early forecasts of storms (especially those that didn't even rank naming) have made of fool of me before. But given this one's track, it's gotta cause problems for you even if it weakens.

Good luck.

phroggie --

Right you are! Looks like we'll be sailing straight into Tropical Storm Julio - unless, God willing, the captain is "creative" and can sail around it, or it dissipates, or veers towards the NE. Maybe I need another box of Bonine. (And another several sets of underwear.)

phroggie --

Right you are! Looks like we'll be sailing straight into Tropical Storm Julio - unless, God willing, the captain is "creative" and can sail around it, or it dissipates, or veers towards the NE. Maybe I need another box of Bonine. (And another several sets of underwear.)

It got worse.

The Captain (and the dispatchers in Florida) ain't gonna let Carnival Pride anywhere near it. And its track is worst case scenario for the route: the only way around it is to sail hundreds of miles westward.

Either she'll stay close to home (Ensenada/Catalina/San Diego) or she'll make like a draft dodger (Vancouver). Unlike east coast cruises there aren't a lot of choices and they have to be made early: either it's safe to cruise pass Ensenada or it isn't and if it isn't, don't.

But it could weaken. They'll make the final decision based on what he's like tomorrow at 5:00 when they castoff. Good luck.

It got worse.

The Captain (and the dispatchers in Florida) ain't gonna let Carnival Pride anywhere near it. And its track is worst case scenario for the route: the only way around it is to sail hundreds of miles westward.

Either she'll stay close to home (Ensenada/Catalina/San Diego) or she'll make like a draft dodger (Vancouver). Unlike east coast cruises there aren't a lot of choices and they have to be made early: either it's safe to cruise pass Ensenada or it isn't and if it isn't, don't.

But it could weaken. They'll make the final decision based on what he's like tomorrow at 5:00 when they castoff. Good luck.

I'd prefer Vancouver (I love the sea days) - but I don't see how the Pride could make a round-trip in the allotted time. It would be fairly amusing: "Sail to the Mexican Riviera and enjoy Exotic Vancouver!" The other itinerary (Ensenada, etc.) would be like spending a week in Tijuana - I'd prefer staying home at all costs.

We'll see.

I'd prefer Vancouver (I love the sea days) - but I don't see how the Pride could make a round-trip in the allotted time.

Thanks to the Mercator Projection you don't realize how far east you sail in addition to south. Vancouver and Puerto Vallarta are about the same distance, give or take a few hundred nm. Skip two ports and they'll be able to cruise slower since it will add 20 to 40 sea hours. It all depends on whether they decide right off to go north or whether to hang around and try to salvage part of the intinerary.

By the way, Carnival Pride was rerouted to Canada at least once in 2006. (That was the freak year when it seemed like she had more interruptions than all the east coast ships combined, including a November sailing.)

We'll see.

Exactly. As Julio heads north, he'll get into colder waters and even a "Val" knows that nobody survives for long in the California Current without a wetsuit. (And they haven't made one large enough to fit a tropical storm.) It just might freeze its toochus off. On the other hand, I can't see them sending a cruise ship across its track regardless of how weak she might become.

I guess those left behind will know when she shows up in the Avalon Harbor webcam

Archived