question for those who have sailed on the Freedom class???

We are considering cruising with our 2 teenage girls on the Freedom.

We are choosing it because of the rock climbing etc....

I realize this ship caters to families but will we be able to lounge and soak up sun in various areas and be away from laughing and yelling little ones? ( when we feel like it )

Thank you much

Nadine

Hi,

We just sailed on the Liberty last August with two teenage boys. We had NO problem finding adult time alone. The boys had so much to do and they were rarely ever bored.

There is the adult only solarium that was fabulous...nothing like those cantilevered hot tubs and a pina colada in hand....nothing but water and sunshine....

Also, we rented a deck phone for our youngest last year so we always knew where he was at all times (well..not all time..lol) Just one of those great little things that RCC thought of ;)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:)

I realize this ship caters to families but will we be able to lounge and soak up sun in various areas and be away from laughing and yelling little ones? ( when we feel like it )

Thank you much

Nadine

I think you will be pleasantly surprised! We don't have kids and I had the same concerns you have when we sailed the Freedom. Because there are so many kid-friendly areas, the adult areas appeared to be even more quiet than I expected. Even the sport's pool area was quieter than normal on our sailing. The noise was either in the H2O zone or back by the FlowRider.

You will find many quiet places - in particular the solarium. There were lots of children on our Liberty cruise but I was never bothered by any noise they made. In fact, I loved watching the munchkins play in the H20 Zone. The Freedom class is incredible.

Another vote for the solarium - fantastic!

We always get late seating for dinner, which is great because the pool areas all start emptying out around 3-3:30pm on sea days. There have been times that, by 4:30pm, we have had the place to ourselves.

cruisingator2,

Those pics of the Solarium brought back so many good memories. I spent a lot of time there on Liberty. It was so relaxing and peaceful. Can't wait to spend my sea days there on Freedom this winter!

...nothing like those cantilevered hot tubs and a pina colada in hand....nothing but water and sunshine....

And I think I might have seen you, Pina Colada in hand! It was fun, wasn't it? We loved Liberty. :)

motherchic, as mentioned, there are lots of adult areas to go, but one place I found very lovely and quiet was the Viking Crown Lounge, early in the morning (well, before 10 or so). It is cool and air conditioned, and it overlooks the pool areas. The views are fantastic and it's just a nice little place to hang for a bit. I read there in the mornings and when the bartender started work around 10:30 or so, I thought it was the perfect time for a nice little Bellini. :D :D :D

Have fun on Freedom.

~Karen

Thank you much

Nadine

The Freedom Class does a wonderful job in providing venues for all ages... We have sailed a number of times on both the Freedom and Liberty... and the only place we have ever found "uncomfortable" is the glass elevators.... seems that becomes a big attraction for some to use as a "Disney Ride"... That is still an "outstanding" issue RCCL hasn't handled completely... need a better monitoring system... JMO

Are the whirlpools open during sailaway? They look like a great place to go to watch!!

Yes they are open ~A few of my CC friends were in the whirlpools at sailaway on the inaugural sailing of Freedom

Love Freedom class and look forward to Oasis :)

I have never heard of a deck phone before. what is it and how much does it cost? We are going on the Freedom with our 12 yr old daughter, her best friend and family. they are very protective and I think being able to contact their daughter will help give them and her some piece of mind.

I have never heard of a deck phone before. what is it and how much does it cost? We are going on the Freedom with our 12 yr old daughter, her best friend and family. they are very protective and I think being able to contact their daughter will help give them and her some piece of mind.

The deck phones were $25.00 per phone, and each had a room charger. They will charge you for any lost phone (it was NOT cheap). Each phone has its own extension so its pretty simple. Each phone has many ringers or vibrate (which it was ours stayed on throughout the ship w/the noise). It was sort of fun because the crew members carry these also...I had a few wrong numbers a few times and we all had a good laugh...LOL I totally recommend them for peace of mind. Our son was 12 also at the time and he really didn't mind having one. They measured 6" tall...about 1.5" wide..so they fit in your pocket easily. :) I hope it works out for you! :) Be SURE to get to the pursers desk ASAP because they only have so many per ship...we went right there within an hour of being on the Liberty last year.

The deck phones were $25.00 per phone, and each had a room charger. They will charge you for any lost phone (it was NOT cheap). Each phone has its own extension so its pretty simple. Each phone has many ringers or vibrate (which it was ours stayed on throughout the ship w/the noise). It was sort of fun because the crew members carry these also...I had a few wrong numbers a few times and we all had a good laugh...LOL I totally recommend them for peace of mind. Our son was 12 also at the time and he really didn't mind having one. They measured 6" tall...about 1.5" wide..so they fit in your pocket easily. :) I hope it works out for you! :) Be SURE to get to the pursers desk ASAP because they only have so many per ship...we went right there within an hour of being on the Liberty last year.

So, does that mean you paid a total of $50. A phone for you and a phone for your son? , or was it / day?

It was a total of $50.00 for the two phones for the week and I believe a small deposit which was credited back to our account when the phones/chargers were returned our last night on the ship.

This was August of 07 so I can't say if that is still the same price. I would call and inquire to RC if you want to know the exact amount.

They were a lifesaver for us and made our trip so much more enjoyable.

I hope this helps!! :)

It was a total of $50.00 for the two phones for the week and I believe a small deposit which was credited back to our account when the phones/chargers were returned our last night on the ship.

This was August of 07 so I can't say if that is still the same price. I would call and inquire to RC if you want to know the exact amount.

They were a lifesaver for us and made our trip so much more enjoyable.

I hope this helps!! :)

It s a great idea, thank you, Nadine

I think you will be pleasantly surprised! We don't have kids and I had the same concerns you have when we sailed the Freedom. Because there are so many kid-friendly areas, the adult areas appeared to be even more quiet than I expected. Even the sport's pool area was quieter than normal on our sailing. The noise was either in the H2O zone or back by the FlowRider.

That was exactly what I was going to say!!!! We were also there at a time when there were loads of kids-end of June!!!!

Archived