Brilliance or Ruby

I am looking at two cruises both 12 nights in June 09. I have never cruised before and have heard good things about Ruby Princess and Brilliance of the Seas. I'm simply stuck and don't know which way to go. I am looking at 2 inside cabins and Princess is about 1000 cheaper. Will I be disappointed? The travelers ages are between 8-80. I just don't want to make a mistake. Please help! First time cruiser...

We've never been on Ruby Princess before but have sailed twice on Brilliance of the Seas and have enjoyed it both times. It is one of our favorite ships. But, $1,000 difference is pretty hard to overlook

denny

I agree the 1000 is my struggle. Since we are paying for 4 passengers and airfare to Europe. Since you have sailed on both Princess and Royal which did you prefer or what were the differences between the two. How were the clubs/bars/shows in the evening?

I have been on the three sister ships to the Brillance and on the two sister ships of the Ruby and I can tell you they are all great. We sailed the Emerald from Rome to Venice and that is one of the best iteneraries for the Med. I think Princess has slightly better entertainment with a little bit more to choose from and we also like the anytime dinning and the 24 hour buffett. You really should decide based on the ports and time in each port. Either ship will be fantastic. However if all things were equal I would deffinatly choose the Ruby Princess.

We did a transatlantic on the Brilliance last December and really did not care for the experience. We loved her sister ship, the Jewel of the Seas, and have been on her twice, but personally, I would not sail on the Brilliance again. The food, which is a subjective topic, was pretty bad, the balcony had rust and bird poop in places, and I was just very disappointed overall. I have only been on one Princess ship, the Star Princess, and overall, it was a much better experience.

We have been on two sisters of Brilliance (Radiance and Serenade) and on Crown Princess which is a close relative of Ruby Princess. They are all magnificent ships!

Check out our reviews and pics at http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

To be honest with you, I tend to prefer RCI, and my DW tends to prefer Princess. The only real differences that I saw are that the buffet on the RCI ships is much better in terms of layout and food selection, and that the theater on RCI does not seem to be so crowded and fill up so fast.

I am surprised RCI is more expensive. Cruise pricing in very flaky and it is hard to tell why prices are what they are.

Whichever you pick I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

We did a transatlantic on the Brilliance last December and really did not care for the experience. We loved her sister ship, the Jewel of the Seas, and have been on her twice, but personally, I would not sail on the Brilliance again. The food, which is a subjective topic, was pretty bad, the balcony had rust and bird poop in places, and I was just very disappointed overall. I have only been on one Princess ship, the Star Princess, and overall, it was a much better experience.

If it makes any difference, Brilliance was in great shape in late May. Perhaps these issues were addressed when she was in drydock in April.

Brilliance is our favorite ship and we would sail her anywhere. That being said, if it were my first cruise and I could save $1000, I would probably go with Princess, as we like that line as well.

Good luck with your decision. And remember that in the Med, you're going to be in port more than you are on the ship, so the ship itself matters a bit less than it would on a less port-intensive itinerary.

Thank you for your feedback Karen.

That is something I've definately heard a lot is focus on the itinerary more than the boat itself as they are similar. I'll keep reading and listening to all the great advice and I'm sure I'll make a decision soon. Thank you everyone for your help. It is much appreciated!

Idy

I agree with Karen. We've had good luck with both RCCL and Princess and am sure you would be happy with either line. Our experience on Brilliance is the layout at the buffet is better than on Princess but, if the Itinerary on Ruby is good for you go with that and save $1000!

denny

I stumbled upon another cruise where the itinerary is also very nice. It is on Celebrity Summit. Anyone traveled on that ship? I think we can fit in a balcony on this one? Is it worth it in the med or is it to port intensive that you don't utilize it?

Consider ports first. Is the Ruby a Venice to Barcelona or Barcelona to Venice itinerary (2 days at sea); is Brilliance a roundtrip Barcelona or roundtrip Venice? Compare ports and time available in each port. Take a look at confused future passengers on roundtrip Venice options!

Can you trade in FF points on air tickets? If you are doing 2 cabins, consider one balcony with inside cabin across the hall. Other princess possible pluses are "anytime dinning" and the availability of washers/dryers on most decks (as well as mattresses new from this coming November! It is really hard to select a Mediterranean cruise based on quality of entertainment or the food (way more of an issue in Caribbean or Alaska, I think). In Europe, you will be excited about your tours!

Better yet, consider the 28 May Ruby Princess out of Barcelona while the Princess sale is still on (consult a discount TA).

Good luck,

David

The idea was to go in late May as I know the rates are a little better but my son is graduating and does so early June. I wouldn't miss seeing him getting his diploma for anything not even Europe. This is a graduation present for him. Our last big vacation before he goes off to college. I want to make it memorable and what is more memorable than Europe!...

I've been following a thread on the Celebrity Line Forum that talks about someone switching to Princess for one cruise. It's been interesting. One point that I've brought away is that Celebrity may not really the cruise for kids. Our TA also said she did not recommend the Celebrity line for us for that reason. I did however find the Celebrity brochure really useful as it highlighted each European Port!

This is our first cruise, so I can't say anything from experience, only what I've read online and gleaned from our TA. (I saw your post on the Roll Call that we are on)

Princess and the Ruby seemed a good fit for us. The new ship was a nice plus, the itinerary was more appealing (I like starting and ending in different places). The port intensiveness was tempered with some Greek Isle days where we might be able to head to the beach for some water fun. But the Historical days also hit many of the places were are interested in. Naples (Pompeii - we saw the exhibit last year in San Diego and my 9 year old loved it! This was a must stop for any cruise for us!), Olympia (I've heard that it's not the best stop on the list, but both kids have studied the Olympics and are thrilled to see where it all started.), Santorini (for me, because it's always been on my list of things to see!), Rome (because of the history, we have 4 pre-cruise days there), and Venice (because it is Venice!). Those were our big deciding factors for our family. Barcelona was not high on the list, history is important, and we are looking forward to some somewhat relaxed days on some gorgeous Greek Beaches.

Good luck again with your decision! I'm guessing that for us as well, just about any of the cruises that are similar would be fantastic! I think we would have booked the RC if the itinerary was just what we wanted... they see to be the two lines (Princess and RC) that worked well for our family. Hopefully we are right!!!

Kim

I'm a big RCI fan and I've been on the Brilliance many times and loved it. That class of ship is my favorite on Royal Caribbean.

That being said, Celebrity and Princess are both known for providing a great cruise; in many guidebooks they are considered a little more highbrow than RCI.

So if I had similar itineraries and a similar class ship on Princess and RCI and I could save $1000, I would take Princess in a heartbeat!

You've got some fun decision ahead of you! And you really can't lose -- you and your family will have a great time. I will say that we've enjoyed Royal Caribbean the best of the several lines we been on so far. It's great for families, and the crews on the two ships we've been on have been head and shoulders above all the others in terms of friendliness and service. That said, we've enjoyed every cruise we've been on immensely (thus our ongoing cruise addiction), including the Diamond Princess (cousin once-removed to Ruby) and Celebrity Millinium (sister to Summit). I agree with one of the prior posters that you might consider employing the $1000 savings on Princess to get a balcony cabin across from an inside. A balcony is just so nice to relax on at the beginning or end of a day, whether a port day or a sea day. In any event, enjoy your cruise, whatever line and ship you go with!!

I looked at all the cruises I could find for the Med for June 2009. I finally decided on Celebrity Summit from Venice to Barcelona, 12 days. I have been on Royal,Princess, Carnival, NCL and Celebrity. Celebrity is just nicer, IMHO. This is such a port-intensive cruise, you won't have much down time. I don't know all the ages of your group, but Celebrity probably appeals more to older folks. Your kids sound older (not babies) and they might like the Summit. Ruby is a new ship, so that is something. This is really such a personal decision. We chose Summit for the itineary first and Celebrity cruise line second.:rolleyes:

I loved the Celebrity itinerary and if it was based on me alone I would take it in a heart beat. My dream is to go to Greece. :o

However, with much agonizing and some really great advice from everyone we finally decided on Royal Carribean. We booked an Oceanview Family Stateroom. For two reasons, my brother loves this boat and wants to make sure he has entertainment all night. Apparently, he doesn't understand what port intensive means although I've told him 100 times. But he has been warned he might just find himself sleeping through Europe. Oh well! Can't say I didn't warn him. Also my 80 year old grandmother is going and Royal had a Family Oceanview Stateroom available which is much larger for her to move around in without incurring the cost of a suite. It is a little higher but worth it for her not to feel like she is in a box. Her dream is to go to Europe more specifically the Vatican and we want to give that to her before she can no longer travel. We celebrating as a family for many reasons my grandmother's trip of a lifetime, my son's highschool graduation from highschool and my husband and I are celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary, oh and also how could I forget my husband's birthday :rolleyes:. I know so many things to celebrate on a cruise and our first one none the less but you know what it just means it will be that much more special.

But with that being said I will just need to plan a future trip to Greece in 2010. :rolleyes: ha, ha, ha... with an advantage of no research will be needed. I am also traveling with my 8 year old daughter. My brother, husband and I are all in our 30's so we really think this cruise will offer something for everyone. This was our original cruise choice and I was perfectly happy with it at the time, until I started going crazy :eek: and looking at all the other choices :confused: . As you can see I can ramble on forever so let me just say one final thing...

Let me say that all of your advice has been invaluable to me and I just want to say THANK YOU so much. I couldn't have made such a confident decision without everyone's input. This is truly a great forum with some really wonderful people...;)

Congrats Emaldy! I think you booked the same cruise that was our 2nd choice. It's itinerary is also really good. I know you will have a wonderful time, I'm excited for you and your family. It will indeed be something to remember for everyone! I'm looking forward to Greece too, it's always been on my list of places to go and I'm so excited that we are finally going!!!

It will be a fun few months planning. I'm really enjoying researching all of the ports and excursions that are possible.

Woo Hoo!!!:D We're goin' on vacation!!

I loved the Celebrity itinerary and if it was based on me alone I would take it in a heart beat. My dream is to go to Greece. :o

However, with much agonizing and some really great advice from everyone we finally decided on Royal Carribean. We booked an Oceanview Family Stateroom. For two reasons, my brother loves this boat and wants to make sure he has entertainment all night. Apparently, he doesn't understand what port intensive means although I've told him 100 times. But he has been warned he might just find himself sleeping through Europe. Oh well! Can't say I didn't warn him. Also my 80 year old grandmother is going and Royal had a Family Oceanview Stateroom available which is much larger for her to move around in without incurring the cost of a suite. It is a little higher but worth it for her not to feel like she is in a box. Her dream is to go to Europe more specifically the Vatican and we want to give that to her before she can no longer travel. We celebrating as a family for many reasons my grandmother's trip of a lifetime, my son's highschool graduation from highschool and my husband and I are celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary, oh and also how could I forget my husband's birthday :rolleyes:. I know so many things to celebrate on a cruise and our first one none the less but you know what it just means it will be that much more special.

But with that being said I will just need to plan a future trip to Greece in 2010. :rolleyes: ha, ha, ha... with an advantage of no research will be needed. I am also traveling with my 8 year old daughter. My brother, husband and I are all in our 30's so we really think this cruise will offer something for everyone. This was our original cruise choice and I was perfectly happy with it at the time, until I started going crazy :eek: and looking at all the other choices :confused: . As you can see I can ramble on forever so let me just say one final thing...

Let me say that all of your advice has been invaluable to me and I just want to say THANK YOU so much. I couldn't have made such a confident decision without everyone's input. This is truly a great forum with some really wonderful people...;)

I really think you'll be happy with your choice. We just did this cruise in August and thought it was fantastic. I hear you about choices I went back and forth between 3 cruises last year and finally just decided to go with the Brilliance. We had an oceanview room too. Enjoy your planning. I know you were joking around about your future trip to Greece for 2010 but we actually wound up booking Greek Isles on the Legend for next year half way through this cruise.

• 4 months later...

Having sailed on the Ruby last November i can say that its a Great ship as were the staff, and we will be on her again this November on a 12 night cruise and in the same Suite!

However we will be on Brilliance from the 15th June and will be able to get an idea of the two although we have only booked an Ocean view cabin for this trip, so cabins apart its a case for us of comparing the rest of the ship and its staff.

With regard to your choice it depends on the itinery and as others have said the price!

Dave.

Congrats!!! You will love the Brilliance. I have been on her twice, and so far, she is my favorite ship. I just have NO idea why anyone could really not like that ship??!!! Food is very standard across the board... even on Celebrity. I adore the Seaview Cafe.

I am on the Solstice in May out of Civitavecchia and I can tell you, if the Brilliance was doing the exact same itinerary, I would still choose the Brilliance over the brand new Solstice. We love that ship!!! I am not a Princess fan though, so...

Enjoy!

I think you have made a good decision. Having sailed recently on a Princess ship and on the Brilliance, the Brilliance is vastly superior in all departments except the tendering process. The food is vastly superior and the ship is a beaut. Loved it. Sea Princess has put me off the line forever after a very diasappointing Christmas around the Carib. The Brilliance also attracts a mix of nationalities that gives a cosmo feel and adds to the experience, Princess is mainly Brits. That said I'm a Brit, but the Brilliance for me, is best.

Have a great time.

Archived