Restaurants in Barcelona and Venice...

I'd like lunch and dinner recommendations for Barcelona and Venice.

Something Spanish for Barcelona...one in our party is Spanish and loves Paella.

Thanks!

I've read somewhere...Siete Puertas serves the best paella in Barca. We will try this, too, when we go to Barca in Nov08.

In Venice if you walk around the narrow, inside streets, there are just too many shops and restaurants to choose from.

Siete Puertas (7 Doors) is the place the tourists go for Paella.

However La Fonda (http://www.lafondadelport.com) is the place that the locals go.

We found out about it from someone at the hotel. It was great.

Probably about the best Paella I've ever had.

If you go, be sure to order Sangria as well.

If we return to Barcelona we will go back.

Far too may places in Venice, but we went to Marco Polo. Nice, good menu, good food. We would return.

a

Slomo,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been wondering how I was going to find great paella in Barcelona. I've been disappointed many times here at home, and didn't want to miss out on some authentic and amazing paella while there. I wouldn't think of skipping the sangria! :)

For lunch in Venice, we have 2 spots we frequent -

1. in Campo San Zulian; don't remember the name, but it is the only one there. S.Zulian is just few blocks North of S.Marco; easy to spot on map; S.Zulian church is there.

2. Osteria la Tana - From S.Marco Sq. go to the water of the Grand Canal; when facing the water, go to your Left (East); continue along the big commercial Grand Canal promenade; will cross several bridges; will come to the Naval Museum on your Left (just after cross a bridge); turn towards the Naval Museum; follow along the canal side of the museum; follow the canal a short distance to the 1st street (it is going to your Right/East) Calle della Tana; when you look down Tana, you will see the little osteria on the Right; if weather is good they have chairs outside; small local place we just happen to find; friendly service; we like the spagetti with meat sauce (spagetti Bolonese, I think) was 10 euros in fall 2007 & we took some back to the hotel because the serving was so big; pizza is good too & it was the size of a US medium, not a little individual size & it was 7 euros; they have a full Italian menu.

Enjoy

Slomo,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been wondering how I was going to find great paella in Barcelona. I've been disappointed many times here at home, and didn't want to miss out on some authentic and amazing paella while there. I wouldn't think of skipping the sangria! :)

Hey, you're Welcome.

I see that you also reside in the Land of Arnold.

We were going to go to 7 Doors and asked one of the folks at the desk at our hotel about it. He said it was OK, but if we wanted to go the place the place that those living in Barcelona went to, it was La Fonda.

Dinner starts with a large (almost pizza size) portion of hot focaccia on a wooden plank with a sharp knife to cut it and ends with a complimentary liqueur. Fresh fish is also a specialty. If you go their web site and click on menu and then scroll down to the rice dishes you will see several different paellas. I had the one that came without the shells on the shrimp. It even had small chunks of squid. Interesting!

The attached photos are of our waiter and the other is of course the paella itself.

Several of us ordered the Sangria. They served it in a pitcher and there was more than enough for us.

Enjoy!

DSC05626.jpg.ae9d18196b8491da95d7366cb5a5aed8.jpg

DSC05627.jpg.9307ed3499281afcaa4b12fc9e24fdd3.jpg

Siete Puertas (7 Doors) is the place the tourists go for Paella.

However La Fonda (http://www.lafondadelport.com) is the place that the locals go.

We found out about it from someone at the hotel. It was great.

Probably about the best Paella I've ever had.

If you go, be sure to order Sangria as well.

If we return to Barcelona we will go back.

Far too may places in Venice, but we went to Marco Polo. Nice, good menu, good food. We would return.

a

Thx for the link...I'm taking note of this, too.

Archived