Soverign Port Canaverial opening ?

dsnygrl

DH read somewhere, oh course he can't remember where, that you are asked not to arrive at the Port until 2PM. Is this correct? That seems really late. If not, what time does the port open and begin check ins and about what time do they begin boarding, thanks.

DH read somewhere, oh course he can't remember where, that you are asked not to arrive at the Port until 2PM. Is this correct? That seems really late. If not, what time does the port open and begin check ins and about what time do they begin boarding, thanks.

No. We have sailed on SoS several times from PC and we usually arrive around 11am to 11:30am. We have always been onboard within 45 minutes of our arrival. They do tell you that anything much before about 10:30 will mean you will probably wait a little bit though. By 2:00pm we have had lunch in windjammer and are in our room. So, just get there when you would like. Just note that they don't usually start boarding until about 10:30 - 11:00. When do you sail?

Ever since I started cruising with RCCL(2001),the docs always said 2pm......no need to wait till then.....we get there(any port) around 11......

I have never boarded really much earlier than 11:30......

Thanks everyone, that's kinda what I thought. We sail on her this time Sept. 15. We did her once before 6 1/2 years ago and I could not remember. Last year I went on Disney and we were there around 10 and were on the boat before noon, so 2 for this one did not make sense.

Here is something to consider... if you are on a cruise leaving on mid-week, you may have a problem finding a parking place in the garage near the RCCL peir. We drive from Tampa, last time we got there at about 11:30, and there were only a few spaces left on the top level. Remember, that garage is used by several different cruises, so the only open spaces will be from those who disembarked that morning. If you get there at 2pm, you might be out of luck. I think that there are some outside overflow parking spaces, but, not sure about that.

Ft Lauderdale has so many other parking venues that this is really not much of a problem, but, at Port Canaveral, and maybe Miami, your parking choices are limited

thanks for the parking info but we will be driving down the day before and staying at the Radisson, parking there and taking their shuttle to the pier. We did that last year and it worked out well.

Thanks everyone, that's kinda what I thought. We sail on her this time Sept. 15. We did her once before 6 1/2 years ago and I could not remember. Last year I went on Disney and we were there around 10 and were on the boat before noon, so 2 for this one did not make sense.

I think they tell you 2:00pm so if there is a delay coming in or clearing customs, then they don't have a lot of peed off guests. If you arrive before 2:00pm and the ship is late they can say "told you so!!":rolleyes:

Windjammer normally opens at 12:00 and rooms are advertised to be ready at 1:00, so why would they do this if they didn't start boarding until 2:00??? We are normally on board around 11:30 - 12:00:D

Here is something to consider... if you are on a cruise leaving on mid-week, you may have a problem finding a parking place in the garage near the RCCL peir. We drive from Tampa, last time we got there at about 11:30, and there were only a few spaces left on the top level. Remember, that garage is used by several different cruises, so the only open spaces will be from those who disembarked that morning. If you get there at 2pm, you might be out of luck. I think that there are some outside overflow parking spaces, but, not sure about that.

Ft Lauderdale has so many other parking venues that this is really not much of a problem, but, at Port Canaveral, and maybe Miami, your parking choices are limited

The parking garage at the RCI terminal is used only by RCI, the other lines have ground level parking at their terminals.

Hi. I just got back Friday from SOS out of Port Canaveral. We were ther by 11am. Once we signed in and got our sea pass we were instructed to sit in the foyer in a row. They let you board as you were lined up in the chairs. We were like the in the first 30 people to get on board which was around 11:40. It was neat. We were told to go to Windjammer as rooms were not ready until 1pm. Once we had a nice lunch, we went to the coffee shop for my fave drink Caribbean Coconut and by then our stateroom was ready. We changed into our suits (in carry on) and spent the next few hours lounging in the pool while we waited for muster. hope you have a great time!

weve sailed 7 times, 4 out of PC, and we have always arrived before 11. 3 out of 4 onboard before 12. one(mariner), the ship was late coming back due to a med emergency, and didnt get back until 11. that time we actually went to breakfast in port, came back, and had to sit and wait in an empty lot while everyone else was getting off. i had my truck, and actually put my gate down and had a fam of 5 sitting on it as we creeped toward the parking lot. if everyone listened and waited till 2pm, the ship would never leave on time....

greg

PS. moral of the story, 11am is a good time.

Archived