Amadeus Amadagio Budapest to Paris Oct 30, 2008

MartiniWabbit

We are doing this river cruise with my sister/husband. I have been reading all the posts for months on all the river cruises. I don't think I have seen anybody else posting, but thought I'd start a thread, just in case there is somebody out there.

We are flying to Budapest a day early, staying at the Kempinski Hotel and in Paris at the Hilton Eiffel Tower, then changing to another hotel for another 5-6 days.

Lots of helpful information on this site. Know it will be cool to cold so we are taking winter clothes, plus layers. Know we will have to wash/hang to dry in cabins. We are using air miles to fly so will get extra luggage weight as we were able to fly 1st class, which is really helpful.

Friends just got back from Budapest to Prague on Amacello and had a wonderful time so know we will enjoy.

I have printed out lots of comments on Budapest, various restaurant suggestions, etc. One question: Is their public transportation easy to get around on.......bus/train/tram. We will have 2 full days on our own to explore.

Lynne

We are doing this river cruise with my sister/husband. I have been reading all the posts for months on all the river cruises. I don't think I have seen anybody else posting, but thought I'd start a thread, just in case there is somebody out there.

We are flying to Budapest a day early, staying at the Kempinski Hotel and in Paris at the Hilton Eiffel Tower, then changing to another hotel for another 5-6 days.

Lots of helpful information on this site. Know it will be cool to cold so we are taking winter clothes, plus layers. Know we will have to wash/hang to dry in cabins. We are using air miles to fly so will get extra luggage weight as we were able to fly 1st class, which is really helpful.

Friends just got back from Budapest to Prague on Amacello and had a wonderful time so know we will enjoy.

I have printed out lots of comments on Budapest, various restaurant suggestions, etc. One question: Is their public transportation easy to get around on.......bus/train/tram. We will have 2 full days on our own to explore.

Lynne

Lynn - The Kempinski is ideally located for easy use of their Metro. Nearby is Deak Ter (park), with a Metro station which is the intersection of their two main Metro lines, and the 3rd line entrance is just East.

Getting on at Cafe Gerbaud on Vorosmarty Ter, we took M1 to the Szechyi Thermal Baths, just past the stop for Hosok Ter (Hero's Square). We got a private changing room, towels included, for $15US. We brought our own swim suits but could have rented those as well. When we left, our receipt got us a refund of about $7 since we didn't stay all day. Good clean fun.

Consider exploring the Buda side in the afternoon for the best views of the Danube and Parliament (sun at your back). The cruise's included Buda tour will also get you up to Fishermen's Bastion & St. Matthias, but in the morning.

WIT

Thanks Wit for your info. We have planned to visit Parliament Friday a.m. then go across to Castlewalk district for the afternoon on Friday. On Sat we have the AMA city tour in the a.m., then may do an optional tour unless we decide to spend it wandering around the city, which I would like to do as I would like to go to the Central Market Hall.

Unfortunately do to many flight changes, we are not getting in until late Thursday pm. We booked an extra day and originally were going to get to hotel at noon, giving us 1/2 day free, but we are ending up sitting at an airport for 4 hours so will not get to Kempinski till about 4pm. But at least we will be able to see a little and get a good night's sleep and be rested up for the next couple of days.

Archived