Gifting Hawaiian Cruise for parent's 50th & have a million questions

I've never sailed NCL, been to Hawaii or given a cruise as a gift. So, I need some serious help!

My parent's 50th anniversary is next year (Sept. 2009). We're going to have them a huge party, and instead of everyone bringing them gifts, we're going to ask that anyone wanting to get them something help us send them on a cruise!

My brother lives in Australia, and does not make it home very often. So we are hoping that he and his kids (my parents' only grandchildren) can also go on the cruise. If that works out, we are not going to tell my parents in advance, instead letting them just get the surprise once they board (gee, wonder who that is across the hall...).

So, now that you have the background for my plotting and planning, here come the questions...

I would like to book a balcony for Mom and Dad and an inside room for my brother and the 2 kids. Everyone has US passports (and are US citizens, brother and kids are dual US/Australia citizens), but would it be difficult to book all the rooms together, since 3 of the 5 are coming from Australia? Or, since he's in a different country, would he have to book from there and just tell them he's with my parents, and link the reservations somehow?

Is it possible to set up something thru either NCL or a travel agent whereby people can give money for someone to go on a cruise, or will I have to get everyone's money and apply it myself?

My parents will be 69 & 70 next year. While spry as heck, they do have a lot of health concerns and tire easily on flights. Should we fly them in the day before and let them stay overnight then board, or is it a fairly easy trek from airport to ship (they will be flying in from TN, so it's a long flight)?

Is an inside cabin with 2 kids a form of torture? Oh, wait... it's my brother, this is a shot at revenge, why do I care? :p

How about the kid's programs on NCL? I don't have kids, so I am very ignorant of what they like/hate, etc. We'll have an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old girl.

Also, how many days before you sail do you have to have final payment? I'm going to have to foot most of the bill myself, as I'm sure a lot of folks won't chip in until the last minute (ie day of the party).

Has anyone ever given a cruise as a surprise? Did it work? Please, tell me it did, even if it's a lie!!!

Thanks in advance for helping me navigate my way into wholly uncharted waters!

I've never sailed NCL, been to Hawaii or given a cruise as a gift. So, I need some serious help!

My parent's 50th anniversary is next year (Sept. 2009). We're going to have them a huge party, and instead of everyone bringing them gifts, we're going to ask that anyone wanting to get them something help us send them on a cruise!

My brother lives in Australia, and does not make it home very often. So we are hoping that he and his kids (my parents' only grandchildren) can also go on the cruise. If that works out, we are not going to tell my parents in advance, instead letting them just get the surprise once they board (gee, wonder who that is across the hall...).

So, now that you have the background for my plotting and planning, here come the questions...

I would like to book a balcony for Mom and Dad and an inside room for my brother and the 2 kids. Everyone has US passports (and are US citizens, brother and kids are dual US/Australia citizens), but would it be difficult to book all the rooms together, since 3 of the 5 are coming from Australia? Or, since he's in a different country, would he have to book from there and just tell them he's with my parents, and link the reservations somehow?

Is it possible to set up something thru either NCL or a travel agent whereby people can give money for someone to go on a cruise, or will I have to get everyone's money and apply it myself?

My parents will be 69 & 70 next year. While spry as heck, they do have a lot of health concerns and tire easily on flights. Should we fly them in the day before and let them stay overnight then board, or is it a fairly easy trek from airport to ship (they will be flying in from TN, so it's a long flight)?

Is an inside cabin with 2 kids a form of torture? Oh, wait... it's my brother, this is a shot at revenge, why do I care? :p

How about the kid's programs on NCL? I don't have kids, so I am very ignorant of what they like/hate, etc. We'll have an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old girl.

Also, how many days before you sail do you have to have final payment? I'm going to have to foot most of the bill myself, as I'm sure a lot of folks won't chip in until the last minute (ie day of the party).

Has anyone ever given a cruise as a surprise? Did it work? Please, tell me it did, even if it's a lie!!!

Thanks in advance for helping me navigate my way into wholly uncharted waters![/quote

Very nice 50Th gift!

I personally would book directly through NCL you can get a balcony cabin with an inside cabin across the hall.

You can make and handle all the arrangements once you have the dates etc.

Everyone should arrive at least a day earlier to allow for jet lag.

This is going to be an expensive holiday for all so you need to have them make the best of it, if everyone can come in earlier than a day there is lots to do and see in Honolulu.

I can tell you this as we were there in January and are booked to go back in 10/2010.

You can also make arrangements with NCL to have their room decorated for their anniversary.

Final payment is due 75 days in advance of departure and the deposit is $250 per cabin (but I'm not 100% sure on it).

As for the kids program I can't answer that but someone.

Good luck.

Your parents are very lucky! I hope that it works out and they can get surprised about your brother.

I flew to Hawaii from Iowa when I was 21 and it is a looooong and exhausting flight. On top of that, you have major jet lag. I would definately do a day before (if not two days before) hotel. In my opinion, that wouldn't even be an option; it's a must-do.

The Waikiki area is very bustling, so just see if there is a nice hotel near the port so that they can have a nice rest and relaxing time before the cruise. Be careful when booking the flight home. The red eye is torture. You could even see if you can swing having the flight home broken up over several days (ie fly from Hawaii to Denver, overnight in Denver to rest, fly the rest of the way the next day). If you can swing it financially, first class would be ideal because sitting for 9-10 hours in coach stinks.

I have heard of people "registering" for their wedding at a travel agent. They book a trip that doesn't require a full payment at the time of booking and let people put money make payments to the travel agent. I can't recall when the final payment is due for NCL (maybe 90 days?), but if you let people know early enough and give them a due date, you might be able to do it that way. Just talk to a travel agent that is easy for everyone to access. If anyone tries to make a payment after you've paid in full, it might be able to be applied as an on-board credit. Check and see. Good luck!

Definitely plan on getting them there the day before. With all the delays in air travel, there's too much chance they will miss the boat. And the jet lag takes several days to overcome. Keep in mind that your travel day starts incredibly early due to the need to be at the airport 2 hours before, so the long day comes after an incredibly short night. The travel is brutal.

The kids program gets good reviews, although I didn't use it myself. Keep in mind that kids of that age are more likely to want to accompany their parents on the island adventures, of which there are so many to sample! Most times, they won't even have time for the kids programs.

There aren't too many options for an inside directly across from the outside cabins, so you may need to book early for that kind of arrangement. View the deck plans and you'll find that on the Pride of America, much of the inside (we were on deck 8) seems to be crew work areas.

Deposit was $250 Per person when we booked in November 2007.

If you're going to give a cruise as a surprise, this is the one to give. They don't even need to take their passports. I surprised my DD with this one, she wasn't told where we were going until the night before we left.

You're welcome to read my journal of the trip. It may give you some ideas to help your planning.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/show/thread.php?t=821097

What a terrific gift for your parents. You should have no trouble booking all of the cabins at the same time even with some of you in the US and some abroad. One thing I don't know if I am understanding or not... Are you going too? I sure hope you are.

As far as flying in early, it is really the only question I can give you any real direction on. It would be a big mistake if you don't fly in AT MINIMUM a day early. Honestly I would two days early. As people have stated you will more than likely have jet lag, and that will give you time to adjust. Heck, we have to do that when we travel just from Dallas to either coast. If you can not make provisions to do that, and I would understand as even inexpensive hotels in HI are expensive, you might risk having the first few days of the cruise not very enjoyable.

Good luck on it all. I really hope it works out for you and your family, and like I say, I hope you are going to get to go as well.

What a great gift. We went 3 yrs ago and are going back in 2. We flew from Michigan to Vegas...spent a night, then on from there to break it up...still was a long flight. Next time I'm flying to California for a night first. We spent 5 days before the cruise, I agree with everyone else you need at Least an extra day to rest and get on the right time. You can always go to Pearl Harbor,,,Cultural Center....etc. for a couple days.

Does POAm have a suite? with 2 or 3 bedrooms that you could all share?

Some cruise lines do, with a community sitting area.

No matter how it works, you'll love it. Good Luck

Thanks so much for all the great advice! I had not even thought about the jet lag! I get zonked just going from here to Las Vegas, so I bet to Hawaii would be brutal. One more thing for my checklist... hotel in Hawaii! Although, I may cheap out a little on that one, and have them stay with family in California. Surely there is a cheap airline that does flights from the LA area to Hawaii. More research!!!

The bad news is that by the time I pay for their party and trip (and possibly help pay for my brother's trip) I am most likely NOT going to get to go. But, it will be totally worth it for them to get to go and have so much fun. I won't cry. Much...

I'm going to look into a suite as well. I hadn't thought about them all sharing a suite. That could work out really well. Especially if we could get my brother checked in first. I wonder if they'd all have to check in at the same time. Hmmmm... I think I'm going to be on the phone with NCL or a travel agent for a while. They're going to earn any commission they get on my arrangements, bless their hearts!

Oh, and TreasureQuest, thanks for the journal. That will help me to know exactly what I'm getting them, and to be able to make some suggestions when I do give them the gift!

Talking about this is just making me more excited. I can't wait to give them the present and it's over a year away!!!! I may pop before then!:D

Archived