Eastern Caribbean Conquest Tour

Buffalo Bum

Hello All,

Quick question.....Me and a group are cruising on the Carnival Conquest next year, when they add the new "Eastern" leg. It will leave Galveston, go to the Florida Keys, then Nassau and Freeport, Bahamas before returning to Galveston.

Here lies my question. We have never been to any of these ports. We really want to do some snorkeling, perhaps even some scuba diving. Which port should we choose to do this in? and where or with whom should we look at?

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like an interesting itinerary, Nassau is a world class dive desitination. There is a very good dive shop in Nassau called Stuart Coves. They do both snorkeling and scuba. As for dive sites Nassau offers a great wall dive, a bunch of wrecks, including several that were sank for movies, including the Cessna from Jaws 3, the vulcan bomber from one of the James Bond movies. They are also world famous for their shark dives.

The Keys are not bad either and I have heard good things about diving in Freeport.

Sounds like an interesting itinerary, Nassau is a world class dive desitination. There is a very good dive shop in Nassau called Stuart Coves. They do both snorkeling and scuba. As for dive sites Nassau offers a great wall dive, a bunch of wrecks, including several that were sank for movies, including the Cessna from Jaws 3, the vulcan bomber from one of the James Bond movies. They are also world famous for their shark dives.

The Keys are not bad either and I have heard good things about diving in Freeport.

Thanks Flying Pirate! I appreciate your input.

Hello All,

Quick question.....Me and a group are cruising on the Carnival Conquest next year, when they add the new "Eastern" leg. It will leave Galveston, go to the Florida Keys, then Nassau and Freeport, Bahamas before returning to Galveston.

Here lies my question. We have never been to any of these ports. We really want to do some snorkeling, perhaps even some scuba diving. Which port should we choose to do this in? and where or with whom should we look at?

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I agree with Stuart. Great dive/snorkel shop (be aware they provide bus service to their shop as they're on the south side of the island and it can take up to 1/2 hour to get from ship to shop and reverse). But if you have a day in port there should be no problem.

As far as the keys, I assume you mean Key West? If so, great diving through Southpoint divers. They're at the Hyatt hotel just two blocks from Mallory Square where most of the ships come into port. There's no shore snorkeling/diving so you have to go by boat. Also depending on when you go you may find the winds make vis pretty bad and the water can get a bit nippy in the winter. But I've been many times (got my AOW and Enriched Air certs from Southpoint even though I live in the Northeast) and really like KW diving (lots of nurse sharks in the waters for your viewing pleasure).

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I agree with Stuart. Great dive/snorkel shop (be aware they provide bus service to their shop as they're on the south side of the island and it can take up to 1/2 hour to get from ship to shop and reverse). But if you have a day in port there should be no problem.

As far as the keys, I assume you mean Key West? If so, great diving through Southpoint divers. They're at the Hyatt hotel just two blocks from Mallory Square where most of the ships come into port. There's no shore snorkeling/diving so you have to go by boat. Also depending on when you go you may find the winds make vis pretty bad and the water can get a bit nippy in the winter. But I've been many times (got my AOW and Enriched Air certs from Southpoint even though I live in the Northeast) and really like KW diving (lots of nurse sharks in the waters for your viewing pleasure).

Randall

Thanks Randall for the information. Yes, I did mean Key West. My apologies. I really appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

Please write a review. I am taking this cruise 10-18-09. We are going to site see in KW but dive in both Bahama locations....i have been looking at a shark dive, but dont remember the specifics...I figure i have plenty of time.

The other posters are right, Stuart's Cove is an excellent diving outfit! They pick you up and drop you off within 100 yards of the docked cruise ships, and offer awesome dives (reef, wreck, shark). I did the shark dive twice, the first time by myself since my wife was a little hesitant, and then a second time when she worked up the nerve! Stuart's Cove usually has a photographer go on your dive with you; they get amazing pictures that cost an amazing amount! But I had to buy some from the shark dive!

Archived