When do the baggage check desks open?

3wrens

We will be boarding Jewel of the Seas in Boston in October. We are told we can board at 1:30. Does anyone know if the baggage check desk opens before 1:30? We are arriving at the terminal by taxi, and would like to unload luggage and make a quick tour of the waterfront before boarding.

Varies from ship to ship and week to week. Need to disembark all pax from previous trip and then get the go ahead to start the new group. Having helped out on embarking pax on other cruise lines in Boston, things have started around noon - but if the ship's late getting in, then it will be late checking in pax and luggage. No cut and dry answer here.

As for touring the waterfront - not much to see in Boston at the cruise pier - you can walk back towards the fish pier and convention center areas, but lots more action and sites are in the downtown area, a couple of miles away from the ship.

It was slow as molasses the last time I went out of Black Falcon on an RCL cruise (2006). I can't remember when we arrived, probably somewhere between 11 and 12 and there was a long line to check in. There weren't any porters to leave our luggage with either. That may have been a fluke but I'm not taking any chances this time. We're staying in a hotel so we can just enjoy Boston and skip the hassle.

Please don't let my past experience dissuade you from attempting to check in early. Just be prepared for anything as this port is not like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale that services multiple cruises year round. If you luck out and can drop off your luggage, by all means enjoy Boston. It will be less of a hassle if you are willing to take a cab from Black Falcon to where you want to tour in Boston as you can save some time that way.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there some way we can do a tour of the city with our luggage??? Getting into Boston early & would like to walk around before going to pier, can't imagine them letting us on trolley with luggage. Was advised to try checking bags at a hotel, but that seems awkward.

Archived