What are The Jewels of Seas secrets-shhh we won't tell

I think Captain James is the primary captain for the Jewel with the others mentioned filling in during his time off. At least that was the impression we had when we were on her in November. He was on her from the first sail date, and was also Captain for both of our Jewel cruises in 2006 and 2008.

Don't know if that's why service always seems so much better on Jewel than other ships but it is.

Can't wait to find another cruise to book on Jewel!!

I think Captain James is the primary captain for the Jewel with the others mentioned filling in during his time off. At least that was the impression we had when we were on her in November. He was on her from the first sail date, and was also Captain for both of our Jewel cruises in 2006 and 2008.

Don't know if that's why service always seems so much better on Jewel than other ships but it is.

Can't wait to find another cruise to book on Jewel!!

Interesting assumption, but there are two captains assigned to each ship and they alternate the command. The typical work pattern for a ship's Captains is 10 weeks on and then 10 weeks off. Surprisingly, there is only one Captain's quarters onboard the ship.

When one Captain leaves for vacation his things are packed into trunks and the stored until his return. The procedure is repeated as each Captain starts his time ashore..

Perhaps, one may be the Senior Captain but which ever one is onboard is totally in command of the ship.

Interesting assumption, but there are two captains assigned to each ship and they alternate the command. The typical work pattern for a ship's Captains is 10 weeks on and then 10 weeks off. Surprisingly, there is only one Captain's quarters onboard the ship.

When one Captain leaves for vacation his things are packed into trunks and the stored until his return. The procedure is repeated as each Captain starts his time ashore..

Perhaps, one may be the Senior Captain but which ever one is onboard is totally in command of the ship.

Captains James and Thore usually alternate the command but for at least several months in recent years, Captain James was Master of another ship in the fleet. Captain Thore has been with Royal Caribbean for 38 years according to the most recent issue of the Crown and Anchor magazine and began his service with the line on the maiden voyage of the Song of Norway in 1970. His first service as Master of his own ship was on Jewel of the Seas in May, 2004 and he will be leaving the Jewel at some date in the future to take over one of the Oasis ships, not sure whether it will be Oasis or Allure. Captain Thore was Master of the Ship for the Royal Jewels sailing in 2004 and more recently in 2006. Captain James was Master on last October's repositioning cruise out of Boston. Captain Thore recently took over Explorer of the Seas temporarily while the ship was in the Caribbean after one of its propellers was damaged and her captain was in Miami making a formal report on the incident.:)

Since the Jewell goes to George Town, I think this counts as a "Jewell Secret!"

At the head of the pier is this small shopping area.

DSCN8180.jpg

Upstairs on the right is an Ice Cream Shop!

They have some fantastic home made ice cream and some really unusual flavors.

DSCN8185.jpg

Don't miss the Creamy Corn! It is the best Ice Cream I have ever had!

Please tell me more information about this secret passage. Deck 6 has the Coral Theater in the bow. Where is the passage?

It is on deck 5 on both sides. Deck 5 is the "Boat Deck" and you are acrually walking below the life boats. Here is the secret doorway that leads to a long passage...

DSCN7770.jpg

And the secret passage and stairs...

DSCN7768.jpg

And the view forward from the bow...

DSCN7765.jpg

And here are my Wife and I doing the "Titanic Pose" from the bow...

DSCN7762.jpg

Bette & Bill: Thank you so much for your post. That explains things. Wonder if they are also planning on using my sailing 3/2/2010 and that is why it is "sold out". Maybe to transfer some people down to San Diego. Who knows? Oh, well, guess we will wait and see. I sent this info. to my travel agent.

Do you know if any of the March sailings were affected?

The dates on the eamil my TA finally received were from January 11, 2010 through March 15, 2010. These were for the 11 and 10 night ultimate caribbean cruises. The email is dated November 17, 2008. Hope this helps.

It is on deck 5 on both sides. Deck 5 is the "Boat Deck" and you are acrually walking below the life boats. Here is the secret doorway that leads to a long passage...

DSCN7770.jpg

And the secret passage and stairs...

DSCN7768.jpg

And the view forward from the bow...

DSCN7765.jpg

And here are my Wife and I doing the "Titanic Pose" from the bow...

DSCN7762.jpg

Thanks again everyone! :)

Jim and Carol, haven't seen you much on the Roll Call, C'mon over! The pictures are wonderful as your comments are! Loved your live review of the Jewel awhile ago, read every word and looked at every picture.

Hope to be meeting you both real soon!

Jan

We did this trip in December and as always had a great time. It was our fourth time to the canal. We are sure you'll love this cruise.

We used Euvangie Tours in Costa Rica. We took a nice boat ride up the Torturgero Canals and saw a lot of wildlife, visited an animal rescue center, banana plantation, had lunch at a local restaurant and went to a local super market to load up on Costa Rican coffee at bargain basement prices. We've heard good things about Charlie Soto but we've Euvangie Tours several times and know they are a winner.

We had several people on our cruise critic board interested so we arrange a private tour with them. It was a lot of fun as we all knew each other!

Hello Mr. Don. We were on that cruise with you and you were so nice to show us your suite and give me the book you wrote on cruising. Hope we meet again. We just returned from Hawaii on the Golden Princess. We had a great time but the Jewel is our favorite ship of all time and would cruise on no other ship if we could. Tell your beautiful wife hello for us.

Joy

Archived