RCCL Cozumel-Dive Operator Navigator 12/20/08

bdklein

I don't know who RC uses in Cozumel b/c we dove with Alison. I highly recommend her.

We dove with the ship (Mariner) in GC and I don't think we'll ever dive with the cruise lines again. First and last time for us. We were not impressed. RC excursions lied to us about the maximum # of people and there were 22 of us crowded on the bus and then the boat. There were only 8 of us on the dive in Cozumel.

I think they used Sand Dollar when we dove with the ship's excursion from the Freedom. They didn't do that bad of a job, although some of the people had DMs who didn't speak much English. We had 6 in our group and we dove with an instructor who was fluent. He did a good job. I'd prefer to go with a private operator next time though.

Jackie

This is my 2nd cruise (1st one was 10 years ago)-we did not do any shore excursions back then, and I will be doing the scuba diving in Cozumel without my wife (who will probably go shopping). I am concerned about logistical issues (primarily missing the ship after the dive) regarding going with a private operator. Maybe if I had been to Cozumel before and knew the lay of the land I would feel differently.

OMG!!! That's plenty of time. We were there from 10-7. She had the captain bring us to a hotel near the pier so we could walk back to the ship vs. having to take a cab from the marina, like we did to get there, $6 btw. We walked back to the ship, went back to our room to change and then went shopping near the pier for at least a couple of hours.

We liked diving with her so much that we have already booked her for our cruise next July that goes to Cozumel. I am a fairly new diver, with trouble equalizing and she helped me quite a bit.

The dive experience was so much nicer in Cozumel than in GC b/c of the private dive operator vs. the cattle boat. I would have to be really desperate to book through any ship again b4 choosing a private operator. The two experiences I had were like night and day.

We went cruising in Cozumel, we did two tank dives w/ Alison. She is the greatest and a baker too. She is easy to reach at the marina by taxi. She is a fun person and is seriously safe re: dives. Check out the website, she keeps an ongoing journal or email at: alison@scubawithalison.com. Whenever we are on the boat we set up our own dives independent of the ship, so that we can dive comfortably, not the cattleboats or in/out dives.

Have a good trip,

Pat

I think for the first time in Cozumel I'll stick with the Shore Excursion. I'll deal with any downside on service, as a trade-off of hopefully ensuring that I don't run into any issues where the cruise ship leaves Cozumel without me or there is a problem with the indpendent dive operator, no matter how much they are recommended. I just want a "sure thing" on this vacation Then if and when I ever go back to Cozumel on a cruise, then maybe I will go with an independent dive operator.

Ok, beat me up!!

I think for the first time in Cozumel I'll stick with the Shore Excursion. I'll deal with any downside on service, as a trade-off of hopefully ensuring that I don't run into any issues where the cruise ship leaves Cozumel without me or there is a problem with the indpendent dive operator, no matter how much they are recommended. I just want a "sure thing" on this vacation Then if and when I ever go back to Cozumel on a cruise, then maybe I will go with an independent dive operator.

Ok, beat me up!!

Have a great dive. Let us know what you decide to do.

Another reason I'm ok with taking the dive excursion from RCL is the fact that they are supposedly diving Chankanaab/Palancar. If they were iving some cruddy sites, I might go in another direction. The cruise ship also has the dive area on it, so maybe I'll wonder over there on Sunday and see who else is going diving on the Monday that we are in Cozumel.

Not my cup of tea? Why

My preferences lean towards small boat dive operators in Cozumel that will let me my dive my computer, not a large boat with a large group of divers with multiple DMs that tell me what my bottom time will be before the dive even starts.

In addition to the already mentioned Alison, I really like the diving I've done with Christi's http://www.blueXTseadiving.com

I'd also look at http://www.scubatony.com

As for the logistics, its easy to get to the dive boat departure point by taxi and not expensive either. You'd also easily be back in time for the ship's departure, even after the 1 hour plus surface interval you'll do at one of the beach clubs.

You really owe it to yourself to experience the quality available to divers in Cozumel, go with a small boat operator.

If you do that, you'll be short changing yourself. Really, diving with a recommended dive operator will not make it less of a "sure thing".

I agree to stay away from Sand Dollar.... way too crowed with a set schedule.

I highly recommend Dimi Dive. http://www.dimiscubatours.com/ You may e-mail them in advance to make a reservation. Also, pre-schedule a pick up location and time. I have dove with them for many years and keep returning because: They have picked me up at the hotel pier, have a open itinerary, do not charge a additional fee to dive devils throat, and serve you lunch during your air break!

Bubbles!! ;)

Ok, beat me up!!

Go with Alison. You are crazy to go with the ship! You will have a great time! We are diving with Alison for the 3rd time in November and are also going to plan a week in Cozumel diving with Alison.

I booked with Allison for my dive this past June and had a wonderful experience. I did not get to meet her as she took another group. She sent Chucho to take us diving and he ended up being our favorite divemaster so far. He was very 'safety first' but also extremely friendly and funny. In between dives he shared fresh fruit, baked goods and bottles of water, a nice touch.

Okay I'll chime in but promise not to beat you up. I agree with all of the other posters. We've dove with Allison or her partner Chucho on several trips and plan to do so again this coming March. Last year 4 of us did a 2 tank a.m. dive with Chucho, then returned to the ship via cab to drop our gear, change clothes and meet up with our families. Our ship was in port less time than yours will be. Then we walked into town, had lunch, shopped, and walked back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. So it would really be hard to miss the ship. Cozumel is probably the easiest port logistically for independent dives. There is a line of taxis waiting when you get there and I believe it is a $6 fare to the marina where the dive boats leave from. Better price, better experience ... Something to consider but you have to do what makes you comfortable.

As others have said......a private dive operator in Cozumel is so easy. We have been diving with Alison twice. Both times were absolutely fantastic.

As you mentioned.....check on your roll call and see if there is anyone else doing a dive outside of the ship and maybe you can join them. With fewer people on the private dives it gives you time to dive and enjoy lunch or shopping in Cozumel.

Just my opinion. Cherie

We dove the ship's excursion, Sand Dollar. It was terrible. The groups we were eventually divided into were small enough but no regard was given to ability or experience. Getting organized and to the dive site was a joke. They kept miscounting the number of snorklers and divers and couldn't get it right. They also didn't have enough room in the first set of cabs and had to get more cabs to help out. No one could do anything until we all arrived at the dive site. A lot of time was wasted that we could have spent under water due to their inability to handle the large number of people.

Back on the boat, one of the girls at the dive shop on the cruise ship was looking at my computer info for the Cozumel dives and she noticed how short they both were. I explained to her what happened and she knowingly shook her head like she had heard it before.

Go with a private dive operator.

HBC

I am really happy to hear of your decision!!!!!! As I have said, we went with Alison twice. On our last trip she dropped us off at her favorite beach club where we had an incredible lunch, played in the ocean and then took a taxi back to the ship. It was absolutely fantastic. And....I think the Palancar Reef is one of my all-time favorite spots. HAVE FUN!!!!! Cherie

• 3 weeks later...

Archived