A little info for some of you trying to lose weight~~

Odoyal Rulez

Ever wonder why you feel like a beached whale after eating a couple slices of pizza..even tho it was only a couple slices you gained 5 pounds! What the heck!

Some people dont realize for every gram of carb you eat your body retains 4 grams of water to digest it. SO if youre eating a ton of carbs guess what? Your retaining a ton of water.

This is why a lot of people on no carb diets lose so much weight so quickly,then gain most of it back the first time they eat a slice of bread.

Your best bet when it comes to carbs is to stick to very low glycemic carbs and try to eat them only with your first couple meals.

The best options for low glycemic carbs are oatmeal, lentils, beans, brown rice, and if you have to have it whole grain breads..i suggest ezekiel bread because it contains very little carbs, mostly fiber and lots of protein.

Lower glycemic carbs keep you feeling fuller, they digest very slowly, and when dieting you can still eat carbs without retaining all that water.

Eat your carbs, just eat them right - at the beginning of the day so your body has the energy it needs, and you burn them throughout the day. Try not to eat them in the evening as they will not be used and will more than likely go right to your butt or gut.

Ever wonder why you feel like a beached whale after eating a couple slices of pizza..even tho it was only a couple slices you gained 5 pounds! What the heck!

Some people dont realize for every gram of carb you eat your body retains 4 grams of water to digest it. SO if youre eating a ton of carbs guess what? Your retaining a ton of water.

This is why a lot of people on no carb diets lose so much weight so quickly,then gain most of it back the first time they eat a slice of bread.

Your best bet when it comes to carbs is to stick to very low glycemic carbs and try to eat them only with your first couple meals.

The best options for low glycemic carbs are oatmeal, lentils, beans, brown rice, and if you have to have it whole grain breads..i suggest ezekiel bread because it contains very little carbs, mostly fiber and lots of protein.

Lower glycemic carbs keep you feeling fuller, they digest very slowly, and when dieting you can still eat carbs without retaining all that water.

Eat your carbs, just eat them right - at the beginning of the day so your body has the energy it needs, and you burn them throughout the day. Try not to eat them in the evening as they will not be used and will more than likely go right to your butt or gut.

I read that same thing but wasn't sure on the exact ratio of water to carbohydrate gram. I read that the reason is that they water is used to deliver the nutrients to the body' cells--not a bad thing?

DIdnt say it was a bad thing necessarily...just explaining how it works. It also stands to reason you will eat a ton more carbs in pizza and junk food then lower glycemic foods..ergo your retaining more water, being more bloated.

Not to mention when you eat hi glycemic food your body spikes its insulin and its impossible to burn fat in a high insulin environment. So by spiking your insulin with these foods all day you arent able to burn your fat efficiently.

Eating lower gi carbs do not spike your insulin, so you can burn fat easier.

Frankly I don't give a hoot about water weight. That comes and goes way too easily. I dropped 3 pounds in less than a day yesterday...after a half-marathon. Extra salt in my diet helps me to retain more water, which is important for such events. I'm sure there must be a reason why people care so much about water weight, but for the life of me I've never understood it.

I don't know if I agree with all the glycemic reasearch that's out there. Too much wheat and gluten can do the same thing, and the research on glycemic index is not conclusive.

IMO, carbs are not the enemy at all. Carbs with sugar, fat, chemicals, etc. are not healthy. Carbs like fruits, vegetables, and beans are healthy. Look at the majoirty of the diets from around the world, and you'll find that's what most of them are made of. Most of my south american friends here never had weight issues until they came to the states.

IMO, if people ate a basic balanced diet with portion control, reasonable amounts of fat, little salt, little chemicals, fewer starches and more fruits and vegetables it would be fairly simple to lose the weight. In terms of water weight half the junk in processed food, even the "healthy choice" foods can cause water weight and the body needs certain amounts of water for physiologcal purposes.

Frankly I don't give a hoot about water weight. That comes and goes way too easily. I dropped 3 pounds in less than a day yesterday...after a half-marathon. Extra salt in my diet helps me to retain more water, which is important for such events. I'm sure there must be a reason why people care so much about water weight, but for the life of me I've never understood it.

I like your thinking on this. I think those of us who are trying to change some very bad, long-standing eating habits, and patiently waiting for a pound to come off, get very easily flustered by the water weight issues. I am not kidding when I say that I went up 6 pounds one day. I was back down right after---all water weight gain. It does tend to freak you out when it happens. So we are all riding our scales every day and psychologically up or down depending on the water issues, which is not good. We'd all be better off not letting it bother us as long as we are eating right and in this for the long haul. I'm preaching to my own self when I say this. :o

A clarification - I don't consume "extra" salt in my normal everyday diet. On a race day, yes, extra salt helps. But then, I never restrict salt in my diet either...never had to and hopefully never will.

I don't know if I agree with all the glycemic reasearch that's out there. Too much wheat and gluten can do the same thing, and the research on glycemic index is not conclusive.

IMO, carbs are not the enemy at all. Carbs with sugar, fat, chemicals, etc. are not healthy. Carbs like fruits, vegetables, and beans are healthy. Look at the majoirty of the diets from around the world, and you'll find that's what most of them are made of. Most of my south american friends here never had weight issues until they came to the states.

IMO, if people ate a basic balanced diet with portion control, reasonable amounts of fat, little salt, little chemicals, fewer starches and more fruits and vegetables it would be fairly simple to lose the weight. In terms of water weight half the junk in processed food, even the "healthy choice" foods can cause water weight and the body needs certain amounts of water for physiologcal purposes.

Just want to make sure its known I am not an opponent of carbs. I eat plenty in my diet. I just dont care for the hi-glycemic ones, those cause problems. And I dont know about anyone else, but i care about water weight a lot because I retain a ton. Carbs effect me very diff than a normal person, i soak up water like a sponge from eating them, and im sure i cant be the only one.

I alos believe in a balanced macro nutrient diet, 99% whole foods, nothing from boxes bags or cans.

Archived