Time for Harrison Cave and a Beach?

gettingmarried

Several years ago my mother and I got off the boat and arranged a cab that would take us to Harrison's Cave, wait for us, and then take us to Folkestone beach. It worked out well. However, we did get off the ship early and we were at the cave just before they opened. You ride a tram through the cave, so there are a limited number of places on each tour. This means that if you get there later, you may have to wait to go on the tour, particularly if you run into a ship's excursion. Someone posted that the cave is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

We loved Folkestone beach, but I'm sure it's not for everyone - it's not fancy enough. It's a public park with changing rooms, rest rooms, small store, small food concession, children's playground, picnic tables, chair rental and souvenirs. It was super low key - not more than 30 to 40 people there that day. There is snorkeling and you can rent gear. What was best about this park was that there was lovely sun-filtered shade under tall Eucalyptus trees looking out over the ocean. There was a small sandy beach with lots of direct sun as well. The folks who rented chairs got us a cab when we were ready to go back to the ship.

Several years ago my mother and I got off the boat and arranged a cab that would take us to Harrison's Cave, wait for us, and then take us to Folkestone beach. It worked out well. However, we did get off the ship early and we were at the cave just before they opened. You ride a tram through the cave, so there are a limited number of places on each tour. This means that if you get there later, you may have to wait to go on the tour, particularly if you run into a ship's excursion. Someone posted that the cave is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

We loved Folkestone beach, but I'm sure it's not for everyone - it's not fancy enough. It's a public park with changing rooms, rest rooms, small store, small food concession, children's playground, picnic tables, chair rental and souvenirs. It was super low key - not more than 30 to 40 people there that day. There is snorkeling and you can rent gear. What was best about this park was that there was lovely sun-filtered shade under tall Eucalyptus trees looking out over the ocean. There was a small sandy beach with lots of direct sun as well. The folks who rented chairs got us a cab when we were ready to go back to the ship.

I'm researching tours for Barbados myself. I really want to visit Harrison's Cave, see a few places on the island and have a good 2-3 hours on a nice beach, but I'm not sure if it's do-able. I can't find any tour companies that fit my needs, so I may end up not going to the cave. Is it worth the visit to this cave?

I really can't answer if it's worth it for you. It's a cave that you ride through on a tram. I think they made some stops so you could get out and look.

For us it was a great excursion - my mother was in her mid-80's at the time and she didn't have to do anything except sit on the tram to get the cave experience.

I did meet some folks who were on an all-day private tour of Barbados. They started at the caves and from there were basically driving around the whole island making various beach stops. You might want to explore that possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
I really can't answer if it's worth it for you. It's a cave that you ride through on a tram. I think they made some stops so you could get out and look.

For us it was a great excursion - my mother was in her mid-80's at the time and she didn't have to do anything except sit on the tram to get the cave experience.

I did meet some folks who were on an all-day private tour of Barbados. They started at the caves and from there were basically driving around the whole island making various beach stops. You might want to explore that possibility.

Thank you for the info; I'm still searching; still have 3 months to decide what to do.

Archived