$10.00 per person per day, thats all !!!!!!!

Terry305

How do you figure that?

The dinner is worth $15 tops when averaged out over a weeks menu,its just glorified pre-prepared cafeteria food.

The burger or pizza for lunch, is no different than a fast food place with no tipping and I don't eat breakfast as a rule.

So where's the bargain?:confused: Don't try and tell me that that is fine dining either.Whooping and yelling color wars and table dancing is not fine dining.

Steve

First off I agree with you that it's not 5 star and I definitely can do without the "dinnershow".. I also dont go along with the "Formal Crowd" cheerleaders either..

What I said was "imagine" 15% based on the $value$ of the meal.. Not the quality but the $$ value..regardless of whether one likes it or not. Their presentation alone garners a higher charge if it were a pay restaurant.

With that said, considering the amount of meals they need to produce-most of the time its pretty good. I dont know where you live but to eat soup to nuts to desert on Long Island at a minimally decent restaurant is going to cost about $50-75+ per couple for one dinner meal(no drinks). Pizza around here for a pie is about $15-18

Buffets are about $20-25 per person...

So yea.. I think the $10 per day tip is cheap especially considering everything else the staff is responsible for and I dont consider it enough. ;)

Value is subjective.

Actually food costs are under $11 per passenger per day even in today's economy.

Costs? to whom? Us or Carnival?

My post was based on if you had to pay for it on land.. not the quality.. It was in response to the theory that some people want to get out of the $10 per day tipping...

Costs? to whom? Us or Carnival?

My post was based on if you had to pay for it on land.. not the quality.. It was in response to the theory that some people want to get out of the $10 per day tipping...

Ok, tip 15% of the cruise price if you wish.

Ok, tip 15% of the cruise price if you wish.

You are either missing my point or I am not explaining it well enough.

My point was if cruisers who do not like or want to tip the $10 per day because they think its too high or whatever.. imagine if it were based on a 'resale' value...

Get it?

You are either missing my point or I am not explaining it well enough.

My point was if cruisers who do not like or want to tip the $10 per day because they think its too high or whatever.. imagine if it were based on a 'resale' value...

Get it?

I got it.

20%?

DD and I went to have dinner at this place this past Wednesday , the name is Bahama Brezze, is sort of like a Chilis or Bennigans with a Caribbean seasoning, we did not consume any alchool, even thought she was crazy to drink a Mojito lol, but the baby is only 20 so is not legal lol and i am not easy on that one, we had 2 simple appetizers, she had Mahi Mahi ,I had pasta , drink sodas and no dessert( no room for it lol) our bill was $65.00 without the tip , I do know that the cruise line food had changed because I am no expert like Dan that had been in a zillion ones lol but I do see the difference between a cruise 10 years ago and now in the quality, Still I don't understand how can be $11.00 per day in food, I do understand that they buy big amounts, but I dont see it like that. Maybe they spend $11.00 a day but what about the ingredients, facilities, those chefs, the waiter might leave on tips and might not be well paid compared to the States but I think the Chef's make better money, all that I guess shall be added to those $11.00. Please guys correct me , I am really talking and I had no knowledge of those costs.

Carnival does watch every penny and I understand they are even considering getting beef from South America to save a few pesos.

Tips shouldn't be based on food costs, especially at Carnival's prices.

I think $10 day is low for the services received and should be considered a minimum if you receive any service at all.

I hope that they don't do that, I had a hard time last year in Punta Cana with the beef, it was something I cannot explain, Maybe I am just spoiled with my Publix USDA Beef lol, but the meat in South America does not taste like the one here.

I think the mayor passed me on the way out. The plan they now have seems to be working fairly well.

Gustav has the potential to take out everything Katrina and Rita missed. I don't think it will, but some thought that way last time, too.

Just be safe... hopefully it will weaken...

First off I agree with you that it's not 5 star and I definitely can do without the "dinnershow".. I also dont go along with the "Formal Crowd" cheerleaders either..

What I said was "imagine" 15% based on the $value$ of the meal.. Not the quality but the $$ value..regardless of whether one likes it or not. Their presentation alone garners a higher charge if it were a pay restaurant.

With that said, considering the amount of meals they need to produce-most of the time its pretty good. I dont know where you live but to eat soup to nuts to desert on Long Island at a minimally decent restaurant is going to cost about $50-75+ per couple for one dinner meal(no drinks). Pizza around here for a pie is about $15-18

Buffets are about $20-25 per person...

So yea.. I think the $10 per day tip is cheap especially considering everything else the staff is responsible for and I dont consider it enough. ;)

Trock here in Miami we go to a buffet /brunch and is like $25.00 per person , as much as people including myself can complain about the Buffet on the ship this one is pretty similar with some things that they might not have in the ship but is almost $25.00 per person no drinks no tip , Here a decent meal is also $50.00 or $75.00 no drinks , just going out to eat Pizza is $25.00 ;)

Before I get accused of misrepresentation, I don't currently live in New Orleans but am a native and visit frequently. My mother evacuated to Baton Rouge before Katrina and still lives there, so is quite safe on the third floor. ;)

We were supposed to have an act of sale on a deceased aunt's house Tues in New Orleans, but it has been postponed. Imagine that!

A restaurant owner once told me I couldn't eat a nickel's worth of pasta (his cost), and it was true.

Carnival purchases for the fleet in obscene quantities which is why they can buy quality at a low price. They don't deal with most of the supply chain like the rest of us do.

Before I get accused of misrepresentation, I don't currently live in New Orleans but am a native and visit frequently. My mother evacuated to Baton Rouge before Katrina and still lives there, so is quite safe on the third floor. ;)

We were supposed to have an act of sale on a deceased aunt's house Tues in New Orleans, but it has been postponed. Imagine that!

A restaurant owner once told me I couldn't eat a nickel's worth of pasta (his cost), and it was true.

Carnival purchases for the fleet in obscene quantities which is why they can buy quality at a low price. They don't deal with most of the supply chain like the rest of us do.

My aunt lives in Metaire , I am calling her but there is no answer, I am praying that everything will be safe for everyone there ,they went thru so much with Katrina.

My aunt lives in Metaire , I am calling her but there is no answer, I am praying that everything will be safe for everyone there ,they went thru so much with Katrina.

A number of people have already left. By tomorrow morning there will be a mandatory evacuation for many areas. Even the SPCA started evacuating animals a couple of days ago. Flood gates will start closing tomorrow. The airport will close tomorrow night. They have buses this time to evacuate those without transportation.

Everyone is taking the storm seriously.

A number of people have already left. By tomorrow morning there will be a mandatory evacuation for many areas. Even the SPCA started evacuating animals a couple of days ago. Flood gates will start closing tomorrow. The airport will close tomorrow night. They have buses this time to evacuate those without transportation.

Everyone is taking the storm seriously.

Lets hope history does not repeat itself...i know..wishful thinking...

Old neighborhood joke -actually its hung in a pizzaria..

1975 Macaroni $4.95 plate

1995- Pasta $14.95 plate

Your choice of sauce.. LOL

Can I add my 2p's worth from across the pond?

In the UK, as a rule we do not tip, with the probable exception of in a restaurant, and here any waiter would be glad of a 7-10% tip.

I have never tipped in a hotel in the UK, not for a room maid, or barman, and before you flame me, this is the norm here. However, when I am in the USA, I do tip accordingly. Although It wasn't until my second visit that I know about tipping room maids.:o

In fact on traditional British cruising (P&O), we in the main only tip the room steward, and waiter, and probably the wine waiter. It would not even occur to me to tip the head-waiter or even a barman (Maybe £5-10 at the end of the cruise, if it was my regular haunt for the fortnight). I was shocked on NCL Gem last year to have 15% added to my 1st beer, and genuinely thought that the barman was taking the P. Ok, now I know, I accept it - just.:D

In defense of some comments from this side of the atlantic, especially if people are on their first cruise, a lot of these customs / practices will be new to them. Yes, we will find a guide to tipping with our tickets and the small print of the brochure, but it would be very easy for someone over here to book a cruise without realsing that at the end of a 2 week cruise, a family of 4 would have spent c. $800-1,000 on tips!

One other point...If I am on a Norwegian ship...in the Mediterranean..having paid for my cruise in the UK...Why am I even paying $$$'s on board, let alone tipping? :rolleyes:

Happy cruising....

You do know you posted this on the Carnival, not NCL, forum? :confused:

a BIGGG Man interupted me and the purser, to "remove his tips"..he asked how to go about it...Purser told him to wait his turn.. Me, of course, m2cw..asked why R U removing your tips?..BM..I always do..(hummm, he just asked how to do it, and he cruzes allda time, and didnt know how?)...Little lady..(ty BM,) I always tip in CA$H.., of course I told him about the turn-in pool,and that the personnell was q'd as to their service to the BM.... OH'. I tip at least $20 to each one every day, even more..umm humm...I dont like to judge, but...hummmm..

a BIGGG Man interupted me and the purser, to "remove his tips"..he asked how to go about it...Purser told him to wait his turn.. Me, of course, m2cw..asked why R U removing your tips?..BM..I always do..(hummm, he just asked how to do it, and he cruzes allda time, and didnt know how?)...Little lady..(ty BM,) I always tip in CA$H.., of course I told him about the turn-in pool,and that the personnell was q'd as to their service to the BM.... OH'. I tip at least $20 to each one every day, even more..umm humm...I dont like to judge, but...hummmm..

ummmmm i agree, who knows , but sounds fishy.

Maybe he is justa another cheapooo!!!

They keep tabs of those removing TIP's because they want to "TIP only with cash"... and it turns out that about 5% remove their TIPS so they can TIP with cash, but 3 of those 5 percentage points stiff the staff completely... the other 2% do TIP in cash.

My take on someone who insists on TIPing only with cash (those that actually do) is that they have a HUGE EGO and want the praise and thank you's from those he TIP's, even though they've earned thier TIP's... it'd be like you having to thank your Boss each week when hands you your paycheck you earned... :cool:

I've got in trouble on this board for saying what I think of those 3% of people who stiff altogether... so I'll bite my tonge this time around... :p

They keep tabs of those removing TIP's because they want to "TIP only with cash"... and it turns out that about 5% remove their TIPS so they can TIP with cash, but 3 of those 5 percentage points stiff the staff completely... the other 2% do TIP in cash.

My take on someone who insists on TIPing only with cash (those that actually do) is that they have a HUGE EGO and want the praise and thank you's from those he TIP's, even though they've earned thier TIP's... it'd be like you having to thank your Boss each week when hands you your paycheck you earned... :cool:

I've got in trouble on this board for saying what I think of those 3% of people who stiff altogether... so I'll bite my tonge this time around... :p

I actually think thats a lowball.. i would venture (no pun) to say that the rate of those that stiff on the tips is higher than that... But I have nothing to back it up...

I actually think thats a lowball.. i would venture (no pun) to say that the rate of those that stiff on the tips is higher than that... But I have nothing to back it up...

My numbers are from an interview with the president of Carnival, or that Head Cruise Director Gar that just left Carnival. I think he/she was just making reference to those who remove TIP's so they can "TIP in cash".

I'm sure there is plenty of other folks adjusting TIPs downword... probably because they found a speck of rust on the outside of the ship near their balcony... or they were able to find some dust somewhere on the ship after putting on their white glove to find it... or they ordered Lobster Bisque and it wasn't 100% to their liking, blaming the wait staff for serving something so awful... :cool:

The number I remember is 92% of those that remove the auto-tip to tip in cash, do not tip at all. Your number 3 of 5 is 60% cheap screws. So I can accept that 60 to 92% of those "CASH TIPPERS," ARE NOT tippers of anybody.

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98Charlie

Probably 2 reasons.

The first mass market line to do so would see the base price of a cabin go up by $70 per person for a 7 night cruise. Bargain hunters or even just shoppers for a cruise would not necessarily see the reason for the $140 difference in the base price for a couple.

That $140 in the price would then be subject to any taxes imposed on the base price driving the cost even higher.

So, if you like sending the government more tax money, petition for the gratuities to be added to the base price

I think that the wave of the future will be for the mass markets to follow the NCL lead and call them a "service charge". Which makes sense since the tips are not really tips but pay for the crew.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

So let me see if I understand.:)

1.They screw the crew because they want to give the illusion of a cheap vacation?

2.Foreign flagged ships are subject to US taxes?:confused:

Steve

No, the crew gets paid from the tip pool. Since that is historically how things are done on cruises, the first line to change the system would be at a potential disadvantage when their customers (you and me) compare base prices for cruises.

The taxes that you pay when you book are paid to the various governments within the United States that have the right to impose such taxes on products and services. Regardless of who owns the business, they are doing business in the US and are subject to the appropriate city, state and federal taxes.

So if you increase the base cost of the cruise, you will end up having to add the same percentage tax on the increase. With the system that is currently in place the only one getting "screwed" is our government because they can't (at least for now) tax us on what we give as a tip on a cruise.

Maybe a good example would be a meal at a land based restaurant. For the sake of discussion let's assume that the tax on a meal is 8%. Your meal is $40. And you tip 15%. That's $40 + $3.20 tax + $6 tip = $49.20

Now, if the tip is built in to the cost you pay $46 for the meal plus 8% or $3.68. Total is now $49.68. Ergo, you have paid tax on the tip.

Hope this helped clarify my post.

Charlie

Archived