Golden Princess QuestionsW

homeclair

We are leaving on the Golden Princess on 9/13/08 for an alaska inside passage trip. I am counting on all my CC friends to answer some questions.

!. Is there a basketball court on the ship?

2. We have balconey cabins on the Aloha Deck-are they nice rooms?

3. Have not heard much about the spa-I loved being pampered!

Any suggestions to make our trip perfect?

Also could someone clarify the soda and coffee cards? The soda card I'm familar with, but I am not sure about the coffee card. Can anyone give me an idea how much they cost? Do you feel they are worth the price?

Thanks so much

Yes there is a basketball court

Cabins are all very nice, all look pretty much the same, the pics online with Princess give a good representation. You will love the balcony especially for Alaska

Spa, even though I too love to be pampered, I have never visited it onboard any of my 9 cruises... just too expensive and I like my spa at home. Hubby sometimes gives me a massage though :D

Coffee card, my favorite item. It costs $27 (that includes tip) and it entitles you to 15 espresso drinks, if you order a double they will punch your card twice. It also entitles you to free brewed coffee, hot chocolate and specialty teas just on presentation (they don't punch for those)

Enjoy

Also could someone clarify the soda and coffee cards? The soda card I'm familar with, but I am not sure about the coffee card. Can anyone give me an idea how much they cost? Do you feel they are worth the price?

Thanks so much

The soda card is actually a sticker placed on your cruise card.

The coffee card is used to purchase brewed and specialty coffees at the lounges and cafes. Specialty coffeees are also available in the dining rooms, but there is a charge.

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $3.00, espresso $2.50.

$25 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other bars that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not tme limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise.

We are leaving on the Golden Princess on 9/13/08 for an alaska inside passage trip. I am counting on all my CC friends to answer some questions.

Hey Claire! Come on by the roll call! Two weeks from today!!!

hi there, I was on the golden week before last, and I actually prior booked a 60-minute massage at the Spa for sunday, the first 'real' vacation day. Let me tell you it was the best $$ I think I spent on the cruise, just what I needed to truley start my vacation, it was so wonderful. My massage therapist was Evy and she was amazing.

Have fun on your trip!! i wish mine hadnt gone so fast!

This is our first time on Princess. From what everyone says I can't wait! Do you mind one more question?? Should we head right over after hotel check out @ 11am or-as the cruise line recommends-wait until after 1pm

Thanks again for all the help-

Clair:)

The Golden is such a nice ship.

Yes, the spa is very nice. I had a great facial on board the Golden last October.

My cabin was A404 -- midship on Aloha and I loved it. The Aloha has the smaller balconies -- no loungers due to space, but plenty of room for two with comfy chairs and a table. The blacony rooms themselves are all about the same size.

Tee

This is our first time on Princess. From what everyone says I can't wait! Do you mind one more question?? Should we head right over after hotel check out @ 11am or-as the cruise line recommends-wait until after 1pm

Thanks again for all the help-

Clair:)

Boarding in most ports starts by noon. There may or may not be long lines at that time which is why Princess says to wait until 1 PM to avoid a crowd.

Since you will be checked out of your hotel and have to wait somewhere,why not wait at the check-in area? You may start your cruise a little earlier that way.

Hi Homeclair.. many congratulations on your anniversary!! I hope you have the best holiday. I've been to Alaska on the Coral, and spent three weeks on the Golden last January to Antarctica - we were on A deck. It was the best holiday of my life. The ship is amazing and the crew wonderful. I know you will have the best time. Don't forget to pack your camera and recharger. Funny the things one remembers... I remember laughing until I cried at the onship bingo on a sea day!!

Have a great time!

Re boarding, check out at 11 and then make your way to the port. Can't remember what hotel you are staying at, but if you are in the downtown core chances are it will take only a matter of minutes, or in some cases just a walk across the street.

I would go to the port and try to board... usually I am so excited I just want to get on board.

But often what we do is drop off our bags with the porters and then just go and get a coffee, a few last minute items... everything is within walking distance of the pier.

Enjoy my great city

We usually take the first shuttle from the hotel to the ship around 10- (we figure wait at the hotel or wait at the pier). The latest we have gotten on the ship is 12 and the earliest is 11:30- depends on how quick they clear the ship.

For some reason the wait at the pier seems shorter then the wait at the hotel. Hmmmmmmmmmm are we excited???

Coffee card, my favorite item. It costs $27 (that includes tip) and it entitles you to 15 espresso drinks, if you order a double they will punch your card twice. It also entitles you to free brewed coffee, hot chocolate and specialty teas just on presentation (they don't punch for those) Enjoy

Another nice thing about the coffee card is that you can carry it over to the next cruise, etc, etc., until all the punches are used. :p

Another nice thing about the coffee card is that you can carry it over to the next cruise, etc, etc., until all the punches are used. :p

oh wow, I did not know that! I enjoy an occasional coffee, but thought the card would not get used up in my time on the ship.. now i know for the future, thank you!

I was on the Golden on July 26. I spent a lot of time in the spa!

If you book on a port day, you can use one of the coupons in that book they leave in your cabin for 15% off. Be careful though, the spa manager insisted that you actually be in port when you used it. So, I booked an 11 am massage one day and we were docked in Juneau at noon and they let me use it.

Michele gave me 3 fabulous massages. Look for the travelers tension special on the first day only. Carmen did a wonderful facial!

I am curious if others on the Golden Princess this year were able to reach the glacier(s) of Tracy Arm Fjord.

We went 7/26 to 8/2 and did not. We were told it was due to too many icebergs. But the stock CD of photos I bought from the photo gallery AND the many other photos I saw on the ship that week showed more and bigger bergs then what we encountered.

I wrote to the Customer Relations Dept in Santa Clarita CA- they don't care, they gave us the cold shoulder.

So, they did not entice us or give any reason to book future cruises with them.

it is very, very rare that the ship can get up to the Sawyer glaciers because of the icebrug. I have been there twice, once end of May and July and both times we did see it but from afar. The best glacier viewing is on the one-way's that leave from Vancouver and end in Whittier or visa-versa.

marilyn

We did not even see it from afar.

Our next Alaskan trip will be much farther north.

How was customs in Vancouver. Our friend who was on Princess and whom also did not see the glacier (but did not mention till after our cruise) that Customs was horrible- in Vancouver and hence why we chose Seattle.

we were on the 8/23 sailing and we got very close tot eh glacier. The naturalist on board said that we were very lucky to get as close as we did. It was a beautiful clear day (cold, but clear) and the ship is not usually able to get that close. Its the luck of the draw. The ship is huge and they do what they can to get as close as possible but obviously safety first. This is not a ride at Disney so nothing is guaranteed.

Archived